Is it just me....

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by Freedom of choice, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Due to a combination of work commitments and general dislike of the not quite so new forum format I am not on here as often as I used to be, but............

Has this forum swirled round for a while and then slid down the pan ?

Every time I log in there doesn't seem to be much happened since the last time I logged in, the regular contributors that I used to have a laugh with and exchange relevant and interesting dialog with seems to have also almost disappeared into the mist.

Luckily the great contacts and friends I have made on this forum communicate off line so the friendships are not lost but the regularity of contact has diminished some what do to all our own private commitments.

I am not criticising the new members or their contributions I am just making an observation.

So.......is it just me ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope not just you I have noticed similar! Fewer new threads and a lot of old members not posting much if at all

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Well I'm a relatively new member on here so tell me to keep my nose out if you like and I won't be offended, but I see it as quite a healthy forum.

I've been a member of a local bike forum for a number of years. It started off great, loads of posts, however, as more members started meeting each other, less and less started going onto the forum as members found other ways to communicate directly with each other.

I believe Face book is one of the main reasons for the lack of posts on the local forum I'm on.

I have described myself as a technological piece of toast but I find this forum reasonably easy to navigate around, full of good information, interesting topics, a few tongue in cheek ones, and some good banter between people who have been on here for a while and clearly know each other.

4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Yup, certainly a different feel these days. Lots of the old faces gone and miss the banter :(

But still - Never get bored of a what tyre thread lol ;)

It's still great and very busy which is awesome....but it used to be funny as. With loads going on and meets etc.

Still don't like the new format. But hey ho

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

SPS.......Right on brother
    Nick.......I value your valid comments, but facecloth, hmmm, I am a bit long in the tooth for that plus I joined it once upon a time and my kids blocked me !
    Vimbo...... I hope that fence up your arse has cured you of your bi curious thoughts.

6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Have to agree it's not what it was :( I still visit a couple of times a week but that used to be a couple of times a day, still a great forum when most are all but dead these days but miss the banter.. Think a lot of those members have changed bikes, seem to have lost a lot after the format change though..

Anyway still here :)

7. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Who says the site is not as it used to be with posts like that...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I've been busy but always posting .

Thing is 3 long term members both posting on this thread but I don't see many of your posts either. IE FOC saying you don't come on as often as normal means your not posting as much and thus if toerhs do the same the site get's a little quieter.

I've posted about my Track day but had very little replies :(

9. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I'll go put something on your post if it will stop you feeling upset Remal ;)

Think lambchops covered it with people move on but also I hold back posting now as I will just be covering the same ground, most mods have good info on them and with the bike being relatively unchanged since 08 there's not a lot to add ... Apart from the tyre threads [emoji41] which could always do with another psi input

• Like Like x 2
  10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Not at at all bud. I get nothing from the forum other than what others get.. like minded people, mates to go out for a ride with and track days with.

You find on bike forums as I have found in the past people are out enjoying the bike than posting on forums in the summer. like at the moment. Come winter people have a little more time if they are not riding.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Bloody hell!
    Is this a bike forum I thought it was Ashley Madison!
    all this time i thought titanium nuts meant the bloke had good staying power, doh!

:cool:

12. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

Sites gone to shit is the truth...

Far to many adverts and who in their right mind would change a format that was working extremely well for one thats plastered in adverts??

I think that most who log on now are only doing so to view my BSB thread...;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have no adverts using chrome or Safari. And having people just use a simple add block is so so much better than the amount of spam we had to deal with and why it was changed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I use chrome too, no ads on both phone & tablet

15. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Ma still ere! :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Although I didn't like the change of format, I have grown to love it. Unfortunately any free service is supported by advertising in some form.
    Quite a few of the regular contributors have changed bikes and few of these sadly, were chased off this forum.
    The tightening up of the no tits or boobs rules lost a few members and that used to create quite a lot of banter.
    In my opinion the Ts and Bs posted was relatively harmless and its loss has been missed by many.
    It needs more members to join us on ride outs, but as we all know that is not always possible due to family commitments. The actual meeting of each other really does help cement lasting friendships.
    Just my tuppence worth.

17. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I have noticed a few members that didn't used to contribute have been chipping in.

18. Wayne_R

Wayne_R Active Member

Being a brand spanking new member, I have read alot regarding the 'Old Format' and this possibly being a reason for not so many of the old guard posting like they apparently used to.
    Obviously I have no comparison from now to then, but is a format change really enough to overnight stop people posting??

I do think that FaceAche does have alot to answer for, but as already said, the bike has been relatively unchanged since 2008 so posts nowadays will be from people like me, wanting help or advice.

It was the same on the RS Owners Club, when I joined that in 2007 it was manic in the old guard posting away and it was an awesome place to be, but when they moved on, the Forum suffered and it was people like me now helping the newer owners with help and advice.

A forum is what you make it.

I think this is a cracking FireBlade Forum way beyond the other Forums for the bike around the world.
    But I appreciate it won't be to everyone's taste.

#18 Wayne_R, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Its still good, people catch up, have a crack.

You just wait for the NEC Bike Show piss up and visit planning to start.

What you do have is smaller groups in areas like North West / Aberdeenshire, the Sunshine corner of England (aka Kent) who meet up but maybe arrange it via text / FB / Wattsapp as easier option with mates etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I thought it was just me who'd noticed this.

There are many different reasons from my point of view. Principle among which is that I've largely got bored with the bike this year :eek:

I reckon I can't have been out on it more than 5 times all year and even those rides that I have had I haven't enjoyed.

As for the site. I've never been so inclined to use it since the format was changed. I don't struggle with anything computer-related but I spent a couple of minutes trying to figure out how to send someone a PM the other day and then just gave up and logged out.

• Agree Agree x 1