Is Tap-Water and antifreeze okay for coolant?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Unity, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Unity

Unity Active Member

I took my CBR1000RR in for a major service. I didn't discuss coolant change with the mechanic.
    He or his assistants have messed up something with my TP sensor etc.

But in addition to this they changed the coolant, which we didn't discuss or write down in the list.

He's put 1 liter of shield summer coolant and 1 liter of tap water in the bike.

I'm having the TPS issue sorted by a new mechanic. Should I ask him to dump the tap water cooland and put in new coolant + distilled, as the manual recommends.

The reason I ask is that people put tap water in their car radiators all the time.

Now that I've already got fresh coolant in, I'm wondering if it's a problem, or maybe I should just change it sooner than I would if it were distilled?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Honda Owner's Manual states:
    'NOTICE
    Using coolant not specified for aluminium engines or
    using ordinary tap water can cause corrosion'

I think there is more iron in tap water. It causes electrolysis and therefore corrosion. Honda recommend half anti freeze and half distilled water.

I wouldn't run the risk; I would change it. Others might disagree though.

3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I dont much like the sound of the workmanship in your country mate. Long term you run the risk of corrosion, change it.

4. Unity

Unity Active Member

Thanks @nigelrb @CharlieR85 I also did some googling and read some horror stories about tap water corroding aluminium radiators and engine blocks.

I also used to watercool my PC. I experimented with tap water once with only soldered copper, (so just copper and a tiny bit of tin) it corroded very fast with tap water, but distilled and no corrosion inhibitors it was fine for 1.5 years. (just had to keep all the water in the dark to prevent algae)

I've asked the new mech to dump the coolant and put in some good premixed stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

As above, don’t use tap water as the minerals will gradually corrode the aluminium and water pump seals. Distilled water is fine to mix with coolant but pre-mixed coolant is easier and more readily available.

6. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Can you not buy readymix coolant?

#6 bradt, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes, but not all might be compatible with alloy motors. Honda is specific in its requirements. I'd put B & Q in my car, but not in my bike. I guess that's how we determine quality!!:)

8. Jez

Jez Senior Member

probably a bit of overkill on the distilled water, but, guess what will go in mine, I arn't using Perrier water any more

9. Unity

Unity Active Member

@bradt you asked about readymix, yes, in the last line of my post that came before yours I said I've asked him to put in premix. Same same.