Isle of Man TT 2021

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Mattie660, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Looking forward to 2021 racing it looks like they have the dates up already. I have had a look at the Steam Packet sailings for 2021 and they are not available for booking yet - "no sailings were found" - but likely it will not be long before they are available.

TT 2021.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I need to get saving as I’d love to be there

3. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrB

MrB God Like

Got my reservation in due to the cancellation this year, anyone booked for 2020 gets priority.

5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'm still waiting for an email from them regarding that....have you had yours?

6. MrB

MrB God Like

I phoned them last week, they've not got the sailings on the system yet, will be another couple of weeks but she said she has put a flag on the account to transfer not refund. Also said emails will be sent when they are ready,

7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Great...I'll await the email then...

8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I forgot about that - that 2020 ticket holders will get first choice. Fair enough.

Do you plan to be taking high quality pictures again ? will we have to have another competition :D likely you will win that one again anyway :D.....although I have upgraded the camera to a Panasonic G9 - so watch out .....:D

Look forward to seeing your pictures as I am sure they will be of the highest quality ;)

9. MrB

MrB God Like

I will be taking the camera again, it's the heaviest part of my luggage. It's doing OK for 13 years old, far from cutting edge and that includes the lens but it works for me. Still can't believe we won't be there this year. :(

10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I know what you mean about camera weight and size. I tried to downsize to a travel compact camera - with a hoofing great zoom on it. Even though it was capable little camera the image quality when zoomed out was poor, so not going with that again.

This is what I mean about image quality - not really good enough, everything a bit fuzzy !!

Hopefully we will be able to get some shots of the man on a Ducati ! now that I am looking forward to !!

Michael Dunlop Pits resize.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. MrB

MrB God Like

Capture.JPG Just had the email re transferring the ferry, all done.

#11 MrB, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  12. raphael

raphael Elite Member

This is what I mean about image quality - not really good enough, everything a bit fuzzy !!

That’s nothing to do with the camera mate, when your using a large zoom any movements multiply massively at the other end.
    Shutter speed and panning also need to be pretty much spot on too

13. MrB

MrB God Like

Some examples with accompanying exif data to give some idea.

[​IMG]Untitled by (MrB), on Flickr

• ƒ/5.6

• 135.0 mm

• 1/400

• ƒ/9.0

• 100.0 mm

• 1/200

• ƒ/8.0

• 48.0 mm

• 1/160

• ƒ/5.6

• 75.0 mm

• 1/250

• Like Like x 5
  14. raphael

raphael Elite Member

All at very close focal length mate so enabled you to use slow shutter speeds

Would be a lot lot harder using those shutter speeds with a big zoom.

Lovely shots mate

15. MrB

MrB God Like

135mm is the max on my lens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Very good.

My picture of Michael Dunlop coming out of the pits has the following Metadata - noted also that he is coming almost straight at me and still not travelling that quickly as he has just refuelled and is coming out of the pit speed limit.

Shutter speed of 1/2000 sec on an image stabilised lens should have had that covered. But it is a tiny little sensor in there, and the glass is not premium either on a little compact.

Very little crop on the image. ISO 800

Metadata.png

17. MrB

MrB God Like

Try speed and not aperture priority?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Unlike you I have no great artistic ability. That picture coming out of the pits is an attempt to get an in focus picture is all really - nothing artistic.

The F 8 aperture was to make sure that there was sufficient depth of field for the bike to be in focus from nose to tail - particularly as the bike is head on rather than side on. I put it in ISO 800 to make sure to get the shutter speed up to freeze the motion completely.

To be honest a little travel compact is not going to do that kind of picture justice. A decent body with some expensive glass on it would have frozen every single tiny detail - including the tyre make on the rear tyre which cannot be read, because the little camera and lens cannot resolve that amount of detail. Even at F 8 and frozen the rear tyre label we know to say Dunlop cannot be read.

But that picture of Michael Dunlop in the winners enclosure after wining the Senior on the Bennetts Suzuki to me is a priceless picture - very happy with that for ever more - (even though it might not be any good :D)

Hopefully I will be able to get a ferry booking, and we can compare some pictures on here after the gig :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. raphael

raphael Elite Member

When using shutter speeds that high the image stabiliser should be turned off mate as will only interfere like your picture showed.
    Also with motorsport you don’t want to freeze the shot as you want to see motion/speed

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MrB

MrB God Like

This was taken with a high shutter speed and yeah it's clear but no sense of movement. Getting the balance right with the shutter speed and panning is key.

• Agree Agree x 1