itv4 policing the Isle of Man tt

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Cbrjay, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

The television company behind the popular Police Interceptors series has made a two-part documentary about policing the Isle of Man during the 2016 TT event.
    The two-part programme is first being broadcast on ITV4 at 10pm this Wednesday with the second part aired at the same time a week later.Police spokesman, Inspector Derek Flint, said: “We were approached last year about the possibility of creating a documentary on the unique policing challenges presented by the TT. It is a unique event, policed in isolation by a small force. Raw Cut is keen to show how our neighbourhood style of working morphs into something that is capable of meeting the needs of locals and visitors alike without any outside assistance.
    “The public will doubtless see us out and about with camera crews on a regular basis across the island as all our activities are being followed. As well as the huge roads policing operation, the business as usual approach of the neighbourhoods and investigation departments are also being explored.”
    “We hope the programme will be a great success and that people will enjoy learning a little more about how we do the best job in the world at the greatest event in the world.”
    Producer James Coldwell said: “It’s a rare privilege to be granted access to this unique police force during such a demanding period. It is our aim to give ITV4’s viewers a fresh view of the TT races by showing them the incredible job the constabulary undertakes during the TT races.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I enjoyed that.......:)

3. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

I have it set to record. I'll watch it when (SWMBO) She Who Must Be Obeyed is in work.:D

4. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

Haha spotted Andy Kneen in control tower for southern 100. Didn't know he was Police when I met him at a friends BBQ. Also Derek Flint. Had a cuppa with him !! Really nice chaps

5. Greco

Greco Active Member

Watched this last night...good job

6. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Just watched it, very good.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

I do wish that people would stop riding like complete muppets over the mountain and end up binning it. This is a selfish point of view, but as a road racer myself, every second of practice counts and for practice sessions to be cut short due to someone thinking they are the next John McGuiness really does not help things. Not only does it reduce road closure times, but it also adds cement dust/damage to the surface. Selfish I know, but it makes a difference.

8. rebel

rebel Active Member

What do you suggest ban motorbikes from going to the tt

9. robinh73

No, far from it. I don't know what the answer is and the last thing I would ever suggest is to ban bikes from the island. But, people don't consider the implications on us racers. At the end of the day, why do people go to the TT? To watch the racing. And therefore it should be the racers that take priority.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rebel

rebel Active Member

if they have to cancel a practice session due to a accident don't they reschedule it or do you actually lose that practice time

11. robinh73

Generally you lose it. Same with the weather. Because the road closure orders are all put in place months in advance, the roads must remain closed for those times only, so practice is limited to what is available by order of the road closures. Things can get shuffled around, but someone always loses out. As I say, the last thing I would dream of doing or suggesting is banning bikes from the TT.

12. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

The guy in charge of roads this year, Steve from Stirling, I was sitting talking to him on the campsite as his wife ran the catering van on the site.
    He was putting it forward to his bosses about more cones, especially going up to Brandywell, and also straightening out the kink just befor Brandywell.
    really top guy as well.

Also the girl Kirsty dealt with a complaint of ours two years ago when I was nearly ran off the road by a newly qualified local.
    Again she was great with us.

Good programme, I enjoyed it.
    Think you will always get the arseholes. They seem to get everywhere R unfortunately and spoil it for others.

13. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

I mind Martin Jessop saying he went for a spin over the mountain on open roads and it terrified him how some were riding past him.

14. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

i watched this to and very good

15. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

i know brandy well is a bit of an accident blackspot but i don't think it deserves extra cones as it would break up the mountain section run even more .There are hell of a lot of frankly useless bike riders using the mountain , going at 70mph ,cutting corners, riding in the right hand lane all the way up without using their mirrors.
    I am no slouch but i am forever aware that there is always the chance of somebody coming up faster than me ,so i check my mirrors quite often.
    To be honest the car drivers have much more awareness of what is happening around them than some bike riders.

16. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

I think breaking up the mountain section is exactly the intention.
    I too am always checking mirrors for faster riders.
    And to be honest, for every "70mph useless rider" there are 10 others riding over 100mph that are way above their skill levels.
    Thought it's not so much over the mountain that gets me, as I understand the thrill of a non-limited one way road like that.
    It's the crazy overtakes and speeding on the lower sections I just don't get.
    Putting other people at risk, it's nuts.

17. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Part 2 on tonight :)

In fact there's 3 hours of continuous bike stuff on itv 4
    BSB/The Motorcycle Show/TT Blues :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

Yeah i suppose you are right .There are a lot of people on the mountain that just go flat out without learning where the road goes first. It is bit like track days .. the crashes usually happen in the first few sessions as people hammer down the straights ,then panic as they think they are going too fast to make it round the corners.

19. Greco

Greco Active Member

Dont forget folks..second episode of TT Blues tonight at 22.00 on ITV4

20. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

I recorded it but not watched it yet.
    Olympics took over in our house last night.