Jamie Whitham Track School

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by jayrepsol, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jayrepsol

jayrepsol Active Member

Has anyone done the James Whitham track school and what was it like? What's the coaching like and is it novice freindly?

My nearest circuit is Croft. Seems good value compared to Haslam and California SBS.

Cheers

2. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

I keep looking at this as im just 15 mile from Croft.. got the Ron Haslam next month first though

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm jealous. That's another thing I've been dreaming about without committing. I hope you can give us a report once completed. Which package did you buy?
    https://www.haslamraceschool.com/

4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I done a whitham Croft day, more expensive that the usual no limits but was well worth it. There are far less people on track which to me was worth the extra alone. You then have free tuition from some of the big names in bike racing. We had Dean Harrison, Steve Brogan and Dan Linfoot plus Jamie.

I guess like all trackdays it depends on who turns up on the day but I found it was more novice orientated. They cater for all abilities and you are split into the usual groups and then can move if you feel you need to.

Was great to see the pro's toy with their bikes. Makes you appreciate how much control they have. Best thing was that everyone was there to learn, there was non of the usual argy bargy with the cocks who think it's a race meet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

That's what I like about the "smaller" organisers, the whole atmosphere is more relaxed and more conducive to learning. Never done the JW day but have repeatedly done the BSBS day as they run at Blyton which is very close to my home.

Still amazes me that BSB level riders do this sort of stuff and I haven't met one stuck up muppet amongst them. They all seem like bikers who want to help you get that bit better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jaykay

jaykay New Member

I've done the Haslam Elite course and the Premier plus.
    The courses are very short as they are only half a day and the premier courses are really for beginners so unless you are afraid of trashing your own bike you might as well book a normal track day and some track tuition.

You have to do a premier course to do the elite though which is purely a marketing trick.

The elite course was worth it for me because you get current and ex racers teaching there. We had Neevesy from MCN and a couple of other racers there I think one of them was a supersport rider and another one was talking about racing the Macau GP this year, although I can't remember their names.

Anyway my experience (which I have since found out was completely different from someone else who was there) was worth it.
    we first had a chat about my riding and what I wanted to get out of it, then we went out and did a few laps, going quicker every time until he brought me in and we had a discussion about my lines and speeds etc.
    Following that we worked on specific corners, entry, line, exit, speed.
    We split the track in to 6 or 7 sections and worked on each of those then worked on binging it all together, I went from a 2:15 to under 2:00.
    I think if it was a full day there could possibly have been a night and day difference in my riding.

My track riding is now improving in every session because I keep applying the lessons I have learned.

I think I will revisit at the end of the season or at least et some other type of track tuition.

Every experience is only worth what you get out of it and for me this was worth what I paid.

• Like Like x 2