John McGuinness taken to hospital with suspected leg break after North West 200 crash

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Andy_Allen, May 11, 2017.

1. Blix

Blix Active Member

I know accidents happen but JM has been riding/racing Fireblades for a long time now, is fly by wire new tech on the road racing Honda's or has it been used for some time?
    Some of these systems do not like being shut off when the TC is in full swing, remember the early Subaru's trying to kill people when they backed off the gas.
    I also remember one of the MotoGP Honda lads being spat off a few years back when his rear brake sensor was damaged in a minor coming together incident.
    Personally I'm not keen on some grand theft auto geek writing a program telling my engine what to do when I'm the bloke sitting on the bike and twisting the throttle.
    Nonetheless here's wishing JM a speedy recovery from his injuries.

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

The Bloke in the journo vid was swinging the bike side to side like a mad man. Sorry but not even comparable.... You seriously sound like ya over reacting. I'd trust Honda and the TT more than anybody.

Has anyone actually seen the crash

3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I know, tin foil hat time :D - as usual just thinking out loud, not personal arguments - fair comment if that is what you believe - fair enough.

Fact: John McGuinness has now had TWO recent hospital visits as a result of crashing the new Fireblade.

I think Honda are asking for trouble if Guy Martin is asked to take on the burden of showcasing the new Fireblade at the TT. He is still getting his motorcycle racing experience back, after at least a year out.

In Guy Martin's interview he mentions issues "throttle connection.......mid-throttle stuff" (1:25-32 of interview)

If you think of it as a row of warning lights - sorry, but in my mind, most of them are already lit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Nothing personal, just see it from a different perspective....

They race bikes mate, that is what they love and are paid to do. Part of the job is to develope the bike and issues like that are the norm. The only way to sort it is to ride it and work out the changes.

Yeah I get you cant send guys out on a death trap, but if guy doesn't feel comfortable and pulls out, Honda won't... And there would be a very long queue of riders biting Hondas hands off to race that bike at the TT

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scott

Scott Active Member

Jim talks absolute sense there

6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Is there footage anywhere of the journo coming off Jimbo? I've looked but can't find anything

7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Nothing personal, just see it from a different perspective....

They race bikes mate, that is what they love and are paid to do. Part of the job is to develope the bike and issues like that are the norm. The only way to sort it is to ride it and work out the changes.

Yeah I get you cant send guys out on a death trap, but if guy doesn't feel comfortable and pulls out, Honda won't... And there would be a very long queue of riders biting Hondas hands off to race that bike at the TT
    Was on here, not sure where tbh

8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Found it

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Ooops. ...lol
    I'd love to add my knowledgeable opinion but I don't have one :oops:
    I just wanted a giggle at the poor sod :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Blix

Blix Active Member

You think that was swinging a bike around like a madman?
    I get that you take it easy on cold tyres but that didn't seem too excessive on a bike with shit loads of rider aids.

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Rider aids doesn't excuse stupidity... I think the dude was a bellend yeah. Giving it the Rossi pants pull and weaving his tyres on a bike he clearly hadn't got to grips with yet.

Perhaps madman was excessive. So I'll just stick with bellend for future comments :D

Like I said before, haven't seen McG crash, but I'd wager it's not comparable to Mr B above

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Hey....dya know....you might be onto something there with the rossI pants pull & tyre weave!!

Instead of the journos putting out the same tired old corporate stuff to fill the pages...they could analyse & give advice on how to do the above perfectly for you guys :)....

not forgetting the classic.....
    Riding downhill with your hands off the bars stretching your manly chest as you do so & that old time favourite......
    How to blip your throttle just enough to impress & not to scare the little biker lady in front of you or have her shouting dickhead...go fu#k yourself at the next set of traffic lights :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blix

Blix Active Member

Not convinced, I think the software needs a tweak personally, I've done far worse then what he was doing on a manual bike and not been spat off, regardless it's not good press to accompany the release of a new model that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Agreed and that's all it is a flash update and away they go. Certainly not a reason to pull out the TT etc.

15. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Notice how shiny the rear tyre on the blade is compared with the second bike on the vid, even looks like there is a bit of label still stuck to it.

16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

A bit more info coming out about what caused John's crash.

It seems he reported that he felt the engine didn't shut off when he rolled the throttle into Primrose Hill.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport...ay/tt-honda-in-crisis-after-mcguinness-crash/

A throttle with a mind of its own then, just like the one that caused the accident with that Journo in pit lane.

Like I said, they should have plugged that journo's bike into a laptop to figure out what went wrong, not laugh at him.

We have gone from laughing at someone - now we have someone in Hospital. And they are going to race a bike with throttle connection problems - at the TT, the TT !! :eek:

There may be many riders who might want a chance to race the new Honda at the TT - but I suspect any such list will be getting shorter rather than longer.

17. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Blimey Mattie that's a bit of a leap! Who said the journos throttle didn't close.
    There's no doubt that the teams running Fireblade are struggling but fly by wire throttles are hardly new tech.
    Imho hondas woes stem from them being pretty arrogant and trying to reinvent the wheel all the time.
    I'd point out the abs issues of the last model and even their exquisite 250cc 6 cylinder had bearing specially made rather than equally good off the shelf items.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

McPint says throttle didn't roll-off off or the engine jammed, Honda say they couldn't find anything wrong. Never heard that about a Honda fly-by-wire system before ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

20. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I bloody love you Mattie, didn't really get you at first. Now you're the one person I look forward to reading posts from! o_O