Kev's SP1 not a happy chappy

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Kevin1, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I've taken my rose coloured glasses off for a moment.
    The low speed throttle response is SHITE. Hunting is also a problem too.
    My first run out from Hornby to Hartside was brilliant. But I noticed when the low fuel light came on the throttle response wasn't very good.
    I wasn't too fussed as the bike was going in for its Yoshi fitting.
    I told the dealer that the throttle response was poor and maintaining a steady 30 mph in second or third wasn't possible.
    They said they check it before the exhaust was fitted.
    So I picked it up later. I asked about the throttle and was told he'd taken it out and not found a problem. Predictable.
    When it goes in for it's first service they'd better find out whats wrong because as it is my 2012 had a better throttle response than it has now.
    I've had it lurch backwards and forwards. It's not possible to rely on opening the throttle for a quick overtake in second or third gear. It boggs down and waits for fuel.
    To use an old analogy it's like it's going onto reserve.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that from day one, just from going onto low fuel for the first time.

2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Must've sucked some sh1te into the carbs!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

It better take it back. I paid for fuel injection

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

In all seriousness that does sound frustrating at best and flippin' dangerous at worst.
    It's not the first I've read about snatchy throttle either, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Many will know that I have criticised Honda's 'throttle-by-wire' since day one of having my SP. I still maintain it has nowhere near the 'feel' of the dual cable throttle. However, I have become somewhat accustomed (by necessity, of course:rolleyes:) to mine. For what it's worth, there is no discernible difference whether in Mode 1, 2, or 3.

It seems though, Kevin, that I have nowhere near the problem you've identified. And that prompts the question: I wonder if the ECU became corrupted/confused after the low fuel light came on and it hasn't been able to rectify itself? Perhaps you might raise the question of an ECU reset with your dealer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I was going to say about that but not sure if the procedure for the older bikes is the same as for the newer ones

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm not sure either, and I wouldn't even suggest Kevin try it whilst his bike's under warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dgr

dgr Active Member

I wasn't happy with the low throttle response on my standard 2017 so I had the ECU remapped by these guys, http://bsd.uk.com/. It was money well spent, in my opinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I have disconnected the battery and hopefully that will reset the ECU

I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow.

10. jaykay

jaykay New Member

I have noticed a difference in throttle response between the modes. I haven’t done too many miles yet but meandering through traffic I put it in 3 and it was ok. Although it did have that feeling like it was starving of fuel if I tried to give it a handful from low revs. Riding in a more aggressive manner I was in 2 and it performed as I would have expected. I’ve tried mode 1 but don’t really feel the need for it at the mo. The only thing I have noticed is that the QS seems slow to engage (the ‘cut’ is too long).
    I am used to the different response in the different modes from the BM so maybe it’s just a matter of re-calibrating

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Cream_Revenge

Cream_Revenge Active Member

Very different but older Ducati (916 >1198) did this and dropping a tooth on the front sprocket made a world of difference at 30mph.

12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

EU4 = Crap low rev performance/behaviour.

Manufacturers tune them with a hole at 5k for emission reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cream_Revenge

Cream_Revenge Active Member

True, race system and a map would probably make a world of difference.

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

See P 53 & 54 of the Owner's Handbook which shows how to adjust the 'sensitivity level' of the QS. You might find that when set to '1' (lowest sensitivity) you get a better reaction time - if that's what you mean by 'cut'.

15. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

The problem is at 3000 rpm. Hunts all over the place.
    As @jaykay says, get the revs up and it's fine

16. auag

auag Active Member

My bike's a generation earlier but your comments and replies all ring a bell.
    My '07 was ok but I noticed it wasn't possible to hold exactly 30mph, it would drift lower and I had to readjust the throttle, nothing as bad as you describe but I was curious as to why.
    I had the ECU fuel tables remapped and the O2 turned off in the ECU. They had to add fuel low down but the bike now is spooky, just holds a setting for miles, till the road rises or something forces a throttle change.
    The remap guy said it's emissions stuff and the O2 is trying to lean the bike out at a steady throttle.
    It took over a tank of fuel to get the A/F ratio dead flat but they sorted it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I get the same feeling from my 17 SP, fueling is rubbish, I have gone back to standard exhaust and it has made it slightly better. I am going to sort a ecu flash at some point, low revs it’s a pain and if you give it a big hand full to get past a lorry/car it sorts of pulls back and hesitate but not every time.

18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Back in 2017 when I took out an SP for a test ride it had a dodgy throttle. After Hondas mismanagement of the ABS issues I predicted that the throttle on the 2017 bikes would become Hondas new Achilles heel So why did I buy one? Well, stupidly I thought they'd have addressed and resolved the issue on the 2018 models. I never learn.

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

But you still have a good bike.

It's just a niggling annoyance. One of those things us guys learn to live with. Sort of like having a wife who has cleaning and cooking deficiencies - we just learn to accept it.:eek::D

20. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

My previous bike I had. The learn to live with possibly not having any brakes. On this bike I have to learn with not having any acceleration. I bet when you mention it to honda they play the same game, ooh not heard that one mate. Leave it with us.

• Agree Agree x 2