Kev's SP1 not a happy chappy

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Kevin1, Sep 17, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Very interesting question, and one that Honda will not divulge.

In Honda's 'Supersport' brochure, it states the SP has 189.1 bhp @13,000 RPM with 116 NM of torque @ 11,000. It goes on to give fuel economy (41.2 mpg, which, unbelievable as it may sound is EXACTLY the same as reported for the CB125R) and emission levels.

However, in the corresponding column for the SP2, NO figures are given. Curious about this, acting on my pedantic disposition:rolleyes:, I phoned Honda UK to query this. I was told that because it is 'aimed at the race market' Honda will not quote figures to protect their racing interests.

Sounded like bollocks to me so I went further and explained that the bike is in the same customer brochure as other road bikes, and that I had purchased one new from a Honda dealer and that I felt such knowledge would complement my acquisition.

'Sorry. We do not have any figures.'

I won't accept that Honda does not have figures, especially as they promote the larger valves and different valve angles as being 'performance enhancing'. If Honda doesn't have figures how the heck would they know whether performance is enhanced or diminished?

So the short answer is that unless I have a dyno reflash, I'll never know:(.

Perhaps @RC45 can help with this?

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

What utter bollocks from Honda. If the other manufacturers were that interested/worried they would buy one, dyno it, and then take it apart to see what Honda was doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Now Nigels mentioned it I've searched the Web & u tube and can't find any mention of anyone dynoing it and the results!
    Might be worth seeing if any local dyno guys will do it for a reduced rate if you video it for utube @nigelrb and give their business a shout?

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's really interesting and surprising. I am sure that when @RC45 logs on he will offer good info from the USA owners.

I do have a good relationship with RRP (http://www.roadandraceperformance.co.uk/dyno.aspx) but I kind of favour BSD after @dgr 's recommendation. Not something I'd do in the immediate future though just to obtain statistics.

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

UPDATE:

I continue to find it incredulous that a person can purchase a product from an organisation and be deprived specific information that is readily available to purchasers of similar/related products.

So, I've just spoken to 'Kate' at Honda Customer Service. A refreshing personality who seemed prepared to go the extra yard (or metre).

She reinforced previous advice that Honda hasn't given them that information (SP2 power and torque output) BUT she would make further enquiries and get back to me within 5 days. Could be the corporate gentle 'brush off', but I'll wait and see.

6. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

im guessing its nowhere near 200bhp that's why they wont tell u, if the std is only around 165-170 bhp, i'd say 185bhp max, that's why a newer bike will come out next year, if its true, bit of a piss take really. this bike should have the new engine not bring it out 2 years later, they had long enough in first place,

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Excellent service from Honda. Got a result back in the form of a Press Release for the 2017. Weird thing is that the bhp is the same as basic model and 2 Nm less. I am a bit confused on this. Bigger valves means better combustion efficiency, BUT if it's not getting the fuel into the engine (presumably injection is set the same) then it makes sense that there'll be no extra power unless one buys the HRC cam and race kit.
    SP2 Press Release: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?p...NLzKzPWhQmHsLbf?projector=1&messagePartId=0.1

8. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Have you all seen the Honda 70th Anniversay advert sp on show with 2 guys that are 70 saying what Honda means to them.....they quote 189bhp....no new bike next year

9. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

at the flywheel may be

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

No, and we can't see it unless you kindly give us a link . . .;)

11. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi N I'm crap at doing that found it on you tube...

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Thanks N....

• Like Like x 1
  14. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I would guess all or most of the homologation bikes with bigger valves or revised cylinder heads, lighter conrods etc show no power benefit over the lesser models until they are tuned to suit.

Bhp potential will be above what you could reach without these upgrades but I'd imagine out of the box there is very minimal difference.

That new zx10 with an extra 4bhp or something for however many K more than a standard one. But they aren't built for that, they are designed with factory race parts in mind to unlock their full potential on the race scene.

Still very nice machines to own. I certainly would consider one if funds allowed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bah. This is reminding me of my teens when I sourced a glamour date. I emptied my wallet to make sure I was getting the best. She had the good stuff going on: clothes, make-up; easy to handle; and promises of good things to come.

Just like my friggin' SP2, when it came to removing the fairings, she was no different.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I spoke to the tech guys at the NEC. I showed the fella a video on my phone of the offending hunting behavior. Apparently the ECU is a learning ECU and needs more than just a reset. It needs a reset and telling it needs to forget what it has learnt. 5 minute job.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

Soooo... how do you make it forget?

18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

With a genuine Honda Laptop

19. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

Ah ok. I thought you were going to say Gin.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I'm trying to upload a video of the problem but it appears even a 5 second video in .mov format is too large. I've already edited it down from 12 seconds. It was recorded on an iPhone 6 if that helps

#80 Kevin1, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018