Kev's SP1 not a happy chappy

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Kevin1, Sep 17, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good bit of info Raphael and supports my earlier point that Honda dealers are being evasive by telling consumers that the ECU can't be 'adjusted'. As a bonus for me, Bristol's not too far a trip.;)

2. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

I’ve been reading a lot online from disgruntled Ducati V4 owners too lately.

Are we all just too hard to please?

3. SP Who

SP Who New Member

I think not. We pay a lot of money for our machines - whether it's a Panigale or a Piaggio. There is a natural expectation that our machine should perform as expected and as portrayed by the manufacture. We also expect that the dealer - as AGENTS of the manufacturer - stand by the product and be not only receptive to any concerns we bring to them, but ALSO rectify those concerns.

It really is not too much to ask or expect!

4. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Gcon45 what problems are they having with the V4 ......would be good to know..

5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Quickshifter failing is one of them mate, some have had it fixed at first service with a firmware update some seem to be ongoing

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Just wondering whether this has been resolved? I have noticed that my 2017 RA-H blade stutters from low revs sometimes. A salesperson in my local Honda dealer (21st Moto) mentioned that Honda had "fixed" the fuelling issue with an ECU update. I've not asked whether this is actually available / part of a service but will do when I'm next in.

Another thing I've noticed with my bike is that sometimes it can be a pain to re-start after stopping for fuel. All the dash goes crazy and it take around 5+ seconds of the starter to get it firing. Have only ever used Shell fuel (mostly V-power) and the filler has the rubber ring around it to prevent water from leaking into the tank. Bike has done around 4.5k miles now - mostly (don't laugh) commuting into central London from Bexley in Kent.

7. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Not fixed. I doubt it ever will be. I’m going to try swapping the exhaust back to standard. See if it makes a difference. It’s not really bike riding weather so this process might take a while.

8. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Sorry to hear that. I'll let you know what my local dealer says when I next go in..

9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

When I got my 16, it was all over the place until I got a remap sharpish. But I noticed that if I filled up with v power it would make it even more erratic and stuttery on start, and you had to be careful not to stall it pulling off from pump. Wasn't so bad with other fuels...but totally different bike after remap. So yes it's a pita maybe having to fork £300+ out on a newish bike but maybe worth it to stop the grief..:)

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Any updates on this Kevin. I've just noticed your first post on this was back in September. I would be REALLY pissed by now if it was happening to me. I truly hope you get it resolved without having to touch your pocket!!

11. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Mine has always only had the v power fuel and I have had no issues it loves it runs smoother on it so I would say it's not the fuel....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I have done this mine is useless in mode 1

13. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Is yours a 2017 model with Honda in blue on the belly pan.....

14. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Yes

15. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

The only reason I asked is when I test rode a couple of 2017 I noticed this so then I rode a 2018 with the red Honda lettering and they didn't do it ....maybe there is a issue and it was rectified on the 2018 models ...just a thought...anyone here got a 2018 sp and had issues or us yours ok??

16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Mine is a 2018 model.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Have 2018, but no issues at all for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

This is part of the review for the Kawasaki Z900RS in this month’s Bike magazine. It’s not just a Honda problem.

Attached Files:

19. dgr

dgr Active Member

Given the tight manufacturing tolerances these days and how much of the build process is automated it is surprising that seemingly identical bikes vary so much. My suspicion is that the ECU on every bike is given the same map and that map is set so lean to comply with emissions regulations that minute variations in the hardware (engine, etc. in this case) give rise to the problems. There is no margin of error. My standard 2017 was by no means perfect out of the box but it was OK. Having had the ECU remapped and therefore tuned to the specific engine, I'm more than happy with it. Not that I have much to compare it with mind you.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Need to get mine sorted but see why I should have to pay for remapping and woolich software, my dealer says they can’t do anything with the ecu? Who do I go to above my dealership to complain?