Lawnmower Engine

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Barstewardsquad, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

Hi @Barstewardsquad. Last vacuum cleaner I fixed (Henry) started to smell of cabbages! It was not me! The brushes were huge in length but had seized just away from the armature. The cabbage smell was electrical arcing. A bit of wet & dry on the armature to get rid of the blackness & freed off the brushes. Good as new. Do this with the vacuum unplugged from the socket!!! lol.
    Your lawnmower wheel sounds like it's never been off before! Bit of copper grease (high temperature) after removing the rust from the wheel & hub.
    Yes, there's a great deal of satisfaction when a repair is successful, cheap & you've learned on the way. Do you really need two ride on mowers? You must have a garden the size of Richmond park!
    Re: lapping the needle & seat - tiny bit of valve grinding paste on the tip of the needle, put it in the seat & twist it a few times & make sure there's a continuous mark on it. You can test it by assembling & then blow into the fuel inlet while moving the float up & down by hand. Make sure you remove all of the paste before assembly, it's super abrasive. If it goes wrong again, you'll know what to do & it sounds like you can get the carb off with your eyes closed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Have to agree there, sometimes working outside your comfort zone is good as is helps you gain new skills.

I’m currently building a new man cave and have documented it on the migwelding forum (you’ll be surprised to hear @nigelrb :D ) I’m a member of and whilst the building side isn’t rocket science as it’s just bricks and mortar, it’s having guys who are able to advise regarding the roofing part of the build makes things so much easier.

All built by my own fair hand including the floor which is poured onto a 450mm ring beam with steel (I did have assistance from my son in law for the floor tho). 75mm Insulated roof being ordered on Friday and new powder coated roller shutter being fitted on Friday also.

0FDF68CE-F6B8-4486-A9A1-B59878601297.jpeg

39164E55-5C38-4901-87D4-024D9E75E0F5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Black & White

Ooh! Is that your cement mixer? This might sound cheeky, but I'm after a borrow of one of those to lay a floor in my shed/garage....

4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Unless you live next door to him it will be far more economical to just hire one. They're about £15-20 for a week! Includes delivery and collection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Black & White

Ha. I didn't even think about that! I usually think along the lines of just buying one.
    Cheers. I'll look into that.

6. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Haha, the man is quite correct, they’re cheap enough to rent and the last one I had given to me, I refurbished it, repaired the axle, put new bearings in it and found some new wheels for it, I lent it back to the guy who gave it me and he used it then scrapped it without telling me......it won’t happen again!

I was given this as the drum was fucked, and a new drum is about £105 so I made a ring from 20mm steel conduit on my conduit bender, cut off the offending ring, bashed the drum into a usable shape, welded the end of the conduit and stitched it with the welder as I was going then threw some paint at it.
    It works ok but I think the gearbox is unlikely to last forever with the noise it’s making! If it sees this job through and the concreting in my front garden I’d be surprised.

They regularly come up on Gumtree for £50-100.

823CAC0C-FC9E-4CB6-8B6F-3E7D95E4A491.jpeg

6B6A8C7C-8BF7-4544-A1E7-DCF25243F80D.jpeg

It’s done me ok thus far, I’ve put three and a half small slabs inc aco drains in the lane to the rear and I’ve laid 200 blocks and lintels, so I can’t complain if it dies.

9722609A-A69E-4E68-937B-36EC6DFC70D6.jpeg

#26 exuptoy, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  7. Black & White

@exuptoy. Hahaha! 'Stitched', you say?!! From the state of it, I reckon you had to use a scaffold pole as a welding stick! Good work with the bender & the end result though. Your mixer-giving-mate sounds like an animal if he didn't notice the work you'd put into it.:rolleyes:
    I'll check out Gumtree & my local buy & sell, and then see when my back's up to the graft.

• Like Like x 1