LED indicator relay

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Rr-Len, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Rr-Len

Rr-Len New Member

As title tittle I neeed a LED indicator relay as my indicators are flashing too fast after putting some triumph indicators on the rear, they are bulbs tho and front has mini bulb indicators so it's strange. I do intend to get LED soon though

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

3. ahmedf

ahmedf Active Member

Unsure if this works on the Fireblades, but I have tried this on my 09 600RR and it works!

Uses the OEM relay.

"We all know if you install LED turn signals you have to:

a) install resistors (extra solder joints, bulky, generate heat, waste power, weigh a little bit, look fugly)

b) install a modified relay

If you don't, your indicators will flash fast. It is possible to modify your relay though.

On my 2010 CBR600rr, I already installed a modified relay, so decided to rip my stock relay apart, so I can create a guide for others. Advantage, it's free and takes 5 minutes so no time waiting for the post. Also all the components and construction remain OEM quality.

This applies to EU and other bikes with hazards and 4 pin relays, type Mitsuba FR33-025 (however, if you show me the insides of a 2 pin I can advise as well)

Cut into the relay case, very carefully, and don't go deep. From about 1.5cm to 2.5cm from the top of the relay on the printed side, roughly where you should see >PBT+GF30<. Do not cut deep as the circuit board is only 3-4mm away from the plastic casing.

There you will see the flasher IC chip...its a freescale MC33193:

http://www.freescale.com/files/analo...et/MC33193.pdf

Simply, and carefully cut pin 7 or the copper track that links it so it's not linked up anymore....that should do the trick. It's very easy to apply a bit of pressure with a small tipped screwdriver to the top of the leg of the IC, and it will snap off.

Glue or fill the hole with silicone to seal it up. A bit of tape would do the trick as well."

p1000586f.jpg

4. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Wow great tip Ahmed will try that :)

5. ahmedf

ahmedf Active Member

Please report back if it does or doesn't work. As I believe the part numbers to be the same for the relays so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

It also retains the characteristic "clicking" noise when the indicators are running that is lost with aftermarket relays (well the ones I have used)

6. Gizzywizzy92

Gizzywizzy92 New Member

Might be a bit late lol! But just tried this on the 2009 blade relay and it works! Thank you!!