Left cooling fan issue?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by jeff james, Aug 5, 2019.

1. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Hi all,

I have a 2015 ABS model, and noticed it was running a bit hotter than normal on the weekend.

Ran the bike, and noticed that the left fan did not kick in at 102/103, but the right fan then kicked in at 103/104 to bring the temperature back down. This was only happening when stuck in heavy traffic for a while. On open roads, no issues.

Spent an hour today and checked the fuse, that was OK. Checked the relays for both fans, with a 12v battery and multi meter, and both OK, but swapped them around as I knew the right fan one was working. Then I unplugged the left fan, and connected a 12v supply to it, the fan ran perfectly.

Started the bike, let it get up to temperature, and the same thing, no left fan at 102/103, and then right fan kicks in as 103/104ish.

The workshop manual, also mentions a faulty ECT sensor, but the fact that is seem to be reading temperature perfectly for the right fan, tends to suggest that its OK? The next thing I was going to check was tracing the wiring back from the fan to the relay for breakages/damages, which will be a really fiddly job I think, from looking at the wiring loom?

Just thinking about it, I didn't check continuity between the relay terminals in the fuse box and the multi-plug at the fan, may check that tomorrow?

Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas/views? I was wondering if there was another multi plug in the loom between the fan and relay that may have come unplugged?

Thanks

2. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Just had a further look in the workshop manual and found a page that stated the right fan kicks in at 102.6, and left fan at 106.2! Bugger I read it wrong way around!!

Problem solved, just got to put the fairing back on now!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

Well done for posting the 'solution', Jeff.
    As I've got a bit of insomnia, I was just about to go all tracey on a wiring diagram!
    106.2 though? That's pretty warm, innit. Are the sensors for the fan at the rad outlet or inlet, do you know?

4. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I think on the earlier 2008> it is the reverse

5. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

a cut and paste from the workshop manual

upload_2019-8-6_17-44-35.png

I thought it was a bit hot also, but Honda must know what they are doing?

My last bike, a Yamaha Thunderace ran much cooler, with fan kicking in at about 100.

Just off to the garage to fit that fiddly middle panel now, hoping not to break any tabs!

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

you know jeff, you are dead right about left & right on/off which is also the case for 2008>:)