Lifting stands

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by mk3golfcab, Oct 12, 2019.

1. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

@nigelrb I really did luck out when I purchased my Constands Power centre lift as someone listing the stands for Motea in Germany somehow listed them for £84 in Dec 16 which was supposed to be the price for the adaptor. They were back up to £225 within 24hours!
    Having lived with it for a couple of years I would pay full price for a new one should anything happen to it. I cannot comment on the Warrior as I’ve never used one but £128 is not to be sniffed at.

If I can make a couple of recommendations for anyone interested.......
    I would recommend a front wheel chock to aid lifting as it’s not a nice feeling when shit goes south (before I started using the chock I was trying to release the stand from the nylon cup and my bike fell against the garage wall and marked my mirror and bust the glass.Still not sure how it happened but I was glad the wall was near!) and I wouldn’t use mine without the chock for the assistance it provides.
    Secondly I had cause to use the Triumph fitting kit on both the Street Triple and Daytona and then purchased the fitting kit for the MT10 and due to the perceived risk I felt it comforting to drill a small hole in the pin and sleeve to accept a large R-Clip

D2C33B2B-EB60-4D01-8C28-B3ADF07C48CB.jpeg

This gave me more piece of mind as every time the lift was operated on the Triumph the pin would always slide out by around 3-4mm before it started to lift. The recommendations from the Constands instructions was to remove the engine bolt, turn it around and fit the sleeve into the frame on top of the original nut. This only allowed 3.75 full turns before torquing it up which to me was not enough engaged threads. I subsequently removed the nut and just torqued up the sleeve. I later fitted a 5mm thick packing washer which improved matters but the drilled pin for me gave the most confidence as it cannot move or slide off unless the pin is pulled.. My BIL (not the one with the Gixer and R6 with the Envy stand) when he had the CBR600RA for some reason pulled the bike from the far side and the bike fell from his stand causing a minor amount of damage and he lost all faith in it. He has since pinned his stand and uses it with confidence on his older CBR600RR4.
    I’ve since purchased and fitted the MT10 kit which is great.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

You’ll notice the frame sleeve on the MT is far less intrusive and doesn’t need the pin.

FD6B8B07-8FA5-4583-8D7A-67615BB2E141.jpeg

8E21F63F-3ECD-4D45-BC4D-EBB3694C7F32.jpeg

#42 exuptoy, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  3. blink

blink Well-Known Member

I did, and its great, one man operation too

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Annoyingly my Constands works great with the MT10 but with the R1 it doesn't pick the front up high enough, there's obviously more weight forward of pivot point on the R1

5. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I use the Warrior Spider stand. Once it’s set up properly, does the job for me.

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Really sounds like the go as far as performance and value for money!

7. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

what I can’t work out if I have got this right, is you all trust your bikes on them little pegs:eek:
    How does the bike stay on?
    And why don’t the pegs go right through the holes and then some kind of fitting the other side like a R clip?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gaffa22

The Pegs are quite big actually, well certainly the ones for the Yamaha.
    Its basically the weight of the bike and twisting action against the pegs that holds it on, but believe me it wont fall off
    I've given it a thorough test, i could not pull the bike off

9. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

The triumph one was even worse, the lower one was just a nylon cup which went over the lower spindle bolt head so the bike hung on the top pin and the downward force kept the bolt inside the nylon cup. I can assure you that was a right royal pain in the arris to even get the stand off the bike when down on it's wheels. That was how I managed to let the bike get away from me when I was trying to detach it from the frame holding the bike whilst trying to pry the stand away with my foot and the other hand! No such issues on the MT10 especially with the front chock. I can get off the bike when in the chock and get off and leave it go and it'll stand upright on its own! .
    I was real fortunate not to have any other damage than a scuffed mirror and busted mirror glass. It sat against the wall on the mirror and rear cowl which the marks polished out on! Cost me about £40 IIRC to purchase a second hand Daytona mirror.

10. Gaffa22

I know where you're coming from
    Holding the bike in one hand by the grip whilst trying to remove the stand is not easy
    The MT10 is not to bad but still tricky, but then so are paddock stands if you're on your own

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

As I said before I remove the paddock stand cups and use a stainless bar through both axles so I can lube the chain and clean both wheels. Been out on the MT this morning and it literally took me less than minute to get both wheels up in the air to give them a clean and lube the chain before my service on Monday. The bike is nice and solid too. Once my new garage is complete I'll use the constand more often but the floor in my current garage is all cobbles so wheeling it about isn't recommended, although I do have a sheet of 2mm steel on the floor for the stand to sit on.

12. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Can you work on the bike and pull it about a little( remove wheels etc)
    Or would you just recommend for cleaning?

13. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Yeah, if you have a fairly smooth floor you can spin it in its own space or move it wherever you want.

check the Constands video at the top of the page.

14. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

It’s the law of physics.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

I’m not very confident at lifting my bike onto paddock stands, and the ABBA stand with front lift arm is very easy to set up and get the bike up off the ground by a couple of inches. I’ve visited the factory too and it’s a small UK outfit with great staff. If the floor in my garage was smooth I’d definitely buy a Sky Lift.. Can’t see any reason not to recommend ABBA STANDS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

definitely seems to be the general consensus. I haven’t heard a single bad review about them. Now thinking to save up for a front week chock and a skylift as per another members suggestion on using the wheel chuck whilst connecting the skylift to the bike

17. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Keep an eye on m&p for front chock deals.
    I have one and one in my loft because they where so cheap

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, good to have quick access to these things!:);)

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

If you want a new home for it...

20. Gaffa22

Yes indeed as I said before the Abba Sky Lift is the daddy, the reason I have a constands as well is its much quicker to use when just cleaning the bike, lubing chain or moving bike around the garage.
    for bigger jobs I use the Sky Lift