Liquid wheel balancing agent?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Andrew, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I need to get my new wheels and tyres balanced and the local fitting centre has had the bike wheel balancer attachment calibrated this week.
    Out working this morning a work friend asked why I don't use the liquid wheel balancing stuff, he'd used it himself on bikes a couple of years back.
    Anyone got any thoughts or experiences and any bands that I should be looking for?
    My thought were if it's any good it will save having ugly lead weights stuck all over my shiney new wheels.

2. bongo

bongo Active Member

You can permanently balance your wheels, but you will still need weights to balance the tyre once that's on. It is good practice to balance bare wheels permanently and then balance once fitted, because if a tyre spins on a rim, it is only ever out of balance by the off weight of the tyre, as the rim itself is balanced, so you minimise issues in the event of a tyre spin. It's very rare on track though, nevermind on the road.

3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Never heard of liquid, he must mean dynabeads... You tube them... Also I only use static balance as it needs no calibration unlike the others its the same as near all race teams and wsb and even mgp. I just use standard wheel weights simple and effective..

• Like Like x 1
  4. bongo

bongo Active Member

You can't beat gravity to tell you the heavy point...

• Like Like x 2
  5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

These are Dynabeads not for me and they look like a right pain in the ass! Just get some nice colour matched lead... :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. bongo

bongo Active Member

What a ridiculous invention, at least for vehicle tyres!! I'm sure that discovery in physics would be perfect somewhere in industry, but not in a vehicles tyre!

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, it's what your socks do to stop your spin dryer jumping all over the kitchen.

• Like Like x 1