London's ULEZ charge coming for pre-08 Blades

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dmc12, Feb 18, 2019.

1. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

For those of you who don't live or ride into London this won't be such a concern, but for those of us who do, it's all kicking off in April this year, where anyone riding a pre-08 Blade will be charged £12.50 for riding into the congestion charge zone. From 2021 this zone is expanding to cover pretty much the whole of Greater London (including the area in which I live). So basically leaving my house on my bike will cost me £12.50 every time I do it.

BUT... if we can show TfL that the NOx level of the bike is below a certain level then ALL blades of that generation will automatically become exempt:
    https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/loophole-means-older-motorbikes-may-still-qualify-for-ulez-exemption/

So the question is, does anyone know what the NOx emissions are on RR4-RR7 bikes? I'm pretty sure it's not stated on my V5.

And if I was going to contact Honda to get a certificate of conformity, where would I start? Local dealer probably wouldn't have a clue...

2. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

This just shows you what a f*cked up policy the twat Khan is implementing here.

So polluters over 40 years old get a free pass to carry on polluting, whilst they have made a broadbrush swipe on bikes by age as they have no records to accurately work with..............and the twat spouts on about Londoners health..........no its all about trying to find as much money as possible to prop up the bankrupt TFL.

Bozza was an ar*e but this twat is a dangerous divisive soundbite type politician being given a free ride by the train unions.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

How do they monitor this? Cameras everywhere?
    Need to take a leaf out of the French yellow vests book with them ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Contact Honda customer service 01344 888489 they helped me out with the model ref to get my V5 corrected and @nigelrb has them on speed dial as they’re so helpful

#4 Boothman, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Awesome - thank you!

6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I emailed SuzukiUK for this very info on my gixxer (for when the expansion of ULEZ kicks in).
    Its a 2001 model.
    Suzuki said it's too old for any NOX info to be recorded by them and I should go to an independent tester to get the information and certification.

:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I just called the Honda Customer Services line and spoke to Bradley. He told me that they don't have NOx emissions recorded for the RR6, but I can request a certificate of conformity from them by emailing [email protected], sending them my VIN, scan of V5 and name and address.

It's worth doing in case Bradley's wrong and the CoC might have NOx recorded on it, but I suspect it'll be the same situation as with you Hitch - get it independently tested :(

And where the hell would you do that anyway, in a way that TfL would accept?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Don't get me started on this, luckily my Blade is exempt but the family meat wagon had to go. I get we need to save the world but these measures impact those with less disposable income disproportionately

I have 3 kids so the cars I generally go for will be diesel MPVs, to comply with ULEZ I had to get a Euro 6 diesel.
    It's only going to get worst as the expansion to the North and south circulars comes, older diesels will be worth nothing and dealers will hike up the new ones

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. D16PJM

D16PJM New Member

i would make sure that TFL will accept independent certification before going any further, i am screwed on 2 of my bikes.

Pete

10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

are you sure you are barking up the right tree. NOx is a pollutant emmited by our environment friendly diesel shite, slowly suffocating & killing people.
    This particuar emmission is not a concern with petrol engines. In fact they are not tested for that (ckeck your MOT).
    Am I barking up the wrong tree??

11. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Apparently it’s the NOx emissions that are the key factor.
    If you can show that the emissions of NOx are less than 0.15 (whatever the units are) then that meets the ULEZ minimum standard and thus exempts the vehicle from the daily charge.

12. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Will one person doing it be enough for a blanket exemption of the whole model? Or is it person specific?

13. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

So my 92 NC30 cant go into London now, even though TFL have no idea what it emits.

F**k you Khan, you money grabbing useless piece of s*it. Still as London has become a serious shi*hole no loss to me.

Rant over

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I always think of the M25 as the toilet seat surrounding the shitty crapper when I think of London....I'm with you its no loss to ever visit again

• Like Like x 3
  15. D16PJM

D16PJM New Member

the issue we have is it will expand, may start with London but will soon be taken by other boroughs

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

You are correct in that assumption my friend, this is how they will drive older and classic vehicles of the road.

It's what happens when you put power in the hands of both professional politicians and locally elected busybodies who think they are more intelligent and educated than the rest of us............just thinking of the nimby pr*icks in my local parish council with that one, where some have been sitting councillors for over 30 years and won't give up, and a weary electorate that can't be ar*sed to turn out and vote them off................that's so called democracy for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

What happens with the money because it ain't gona make the fookin air any cleaner, there nothing but money grabbing shit head politicians, fook em :mad: and on that note I'm off to burn some petrol :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

This may be a thread that actually goes somewhere... who'd have thought?

Got my certificate of conformity through from Honda - the NOx level is indeed recorded, and it does appear that the bike is (easily) inside the NOx emissions limit. 0.099g/km < 0.15g/km

So I'm going to try and upload this to TfL now and lets see how far we get...

PN07_CoC_forum.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Good effort, no need to put the yellow vest on just yet.:) How many other vehicles are going to fall fowl of this tax for no reason?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Response received from TfL - success - my bike is now exempt from the ULEZ! Surprised by how efficient and quick it was.

It's not entirely clear whether this now applies to all RR6/7s - we'll have to wait until April and then put in a number plate into the system to see if it's worked. Failing that we do at least have a system now for affected bikes - I don't know how far back in terms of model year it will work but it's a good start.

Attached Files: