Looks like 3 points in the car

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Stevie_d, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Unfortunately following some terrible accidents in recent years I think all crossings have cameras and that evidence will be presented.

I know the following was a deliberate act (parking on the tracks) but if you do decide to defend be mindful the judge may see you going through on reds and be all too aware of the following:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufton_Nervet_rail_crash

What are they proposing to charge you with? If its just 3 points and a smallish fine I'd take it - Dashcam would have been ideal in the circumstance / your only chance of a solid defence I would think.

2. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Just been speaking to somebody today who had the exact same thing last month at these lights , he got off with it as network rail told him that at a certain time of day for so many weeks of the year , as you approach the crossings the sun is behind you and shines at the lights making the amber not visible . I was travelling in same direction as him and within half an hour of the same time of day a month later . Makes me wonder

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Think the cctv is conclusive....

Let it go man!!!

Let it go....
    image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

It wasnt that month......:D:p

5. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

Just accept it and move on. Join the three point club !!!!

6. pete954

pete954 Active Member

I too have a similar letter from British Transport Police. Their claim is I passed through the crossing 1 second after the lights began to flash red. It wasn't a fixed camera that got me but one of those crafty white vans. Any idea what the penalty is? I know it's upto 1K fine but what is the most likely outcome.

7. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

3 points £60 fine I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

From what I remember of the court appearance thing:

Guilty or not guilty, that is did you actually do the thing you are being accused of ?

Not, guilty, I was in Australia at the time and someone stole my registration number. Lots of witnesses, documents, piles of pictures and documents in evidence. Mountains of evidence to support your story.

Guilty, but....

Aggravating circumstances.
    That is stuff that makes it worse for you - example pushing to the front and ignored someone telling you to stop, nearly causing fatal accident.

Mitigating circumstances
    I did go through the light, but this report shows that the light was faulty, according to some technical malfunction. It is positioned in a difficult position and many others have had difficulty.

If it can be proven that the light was technically faulty, then there might be no order.

So it maybe guilty plea, but with mitigating circumstances that mean it was not your fault. If you genuinely feel that the light was technically faulty, that you can prove, then have your say because injustice sucks !

#48 Mattie660, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

But what is a sensible amount to pay out of your own pocket to get your day in court. £60 fine and 3 points, it's not going to be worth a great deal. Can you find any other similar cases and see what penalty they got. Try asking your insurance company what difference it would make to your premium, or preferably just get a quote online. Sad as it seems it's about value for money.

10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That makes sense. But things like this go on your record, and who knows if it will crop up again. Example - In 2015 you were convicted of running a red light and received three points - did you not ? - Yes, but....

The time for yes buts will be over.

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

lol.... It's hardly sex the offenders register! It's only three points.

And in 2020 it'll be the time for yes buts again!!

See a few this weekend... You really don't get much time at all. Maybe Steve's just been unlucky and caught out.... Maybe not, he will just have to decide if it's worth the agg to contest it

12. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hate to say this but if goes to court I doubt it will be just 3 points and £60 fine, I got stopped for 88mph in a 50 zone pleaded guilty with circumstances I was handed out 6 points £330 fine £30 victims surcharge and £60 court costs! That was 4 years ago

If you were gonna get 3 points and £60 fine that would have been what come through the post not a court summons.

You are allowed to request the camera footage for your defence! however if there had been a fault with the camera that would have been seen on the footage and would have been taken into account and you probably wouldn't have received a summons

13. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

I have no summons , just a form to fill in to say who was driving the car at the time

14. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

Yes after you disclose driver then you will get a fixed penalty,take it may get a speed awareness coarse if lucky as you were speeding boss

Get one of these no speeding and no train will mess with you

Attached Files:

15. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

You have to notify them who was driving for them to issue proceedings! As stated in your first post that they intend to prosecute

16. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Doomed , they reckon they have video of Amber being on and me crossing 1.0 seconds after the red lights have come on . Ah well we live and learn . Very patronising person on the phone , don't wanna repeat it all on here . Thanks to all that offered advice

17. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

If you've not already been on a speed awareness course recently then most forces offer it for contravening red light providing you within a minimum time & I think at 1.0 you should be ok. I know it costs a bob or two but better than points & insurance going up I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I have just had to book onto a speed awareness course. It was £85. To be on the safe aside I returned to form immediately hoping it would influence thier decision to off the Speed Awareness course. Fortunately they did. You then have 21 days to get it booked and paid for. Mine is over a month away.

19. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I did a speed awareness course last year & to be fair it was interesting & the guy was nice & not the least bit patronising. Room was chocca with elderly ladies & the odd professional bloke lol not one boy racer in sight o_O

20. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

I would just take the three points...suppose it depends what you do for a living because your gonna lose a days money and a day of your life your never gonna get back, and in my experience it makes bugger all difference to insurance unless of course you already have a stack of points.
    The last time I got insured the insurer asked the usual convictions questions and wether I had been on a speed awareness course,obviously another way to wriggle out of a claim later down the line if you choose not to disclose!