Lorenzo Speaks as a Repsol Honda Rider

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by nigelrb, Jan 3, 2019.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Interesting article, and I agree your comment.

I suspect there is not the same pressure on Pedrosa, who has retired and is now a test rider. He can call his own tune - which he appears to be doing. He will come back when he is ready, and in his own time. He will probably take the financial hit in the meantime.

Lorenzo - he is a factory rider.

I am trying to imagine this as if I was a team manager - what would I do ?

I thought the accident was a Honda training accident, in which case he would have been working for Honda, as part of his duties. But it wasn't, it appears he was riding dirt track when he crashed which caused the injury. I wonder if Honda still have liability, and an obligation to him ?

Under these circumstances - the accident not being whilst riding for Honda, and being his own own negligence, that may cause him to not be ready for the racing season - is there a case for cancelling the contract ?

This is what is interesting - not that it is Lorenzo poor chap - but that a rider might not be able to perform his contract due to his own fault, before the season has even started - can the team make a call on whether it be cancelled altogether ?

That is the interesting point, the contractual liability of it all - not that it is an unfortunate Lorenzo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think it would be universally conceded that 'dirt track' or any form of riding would constitute 'pre-season training' and therefore be covered. Just my opinion though.

Certainly agree with your point that Honda becomes the 'innocent bystander' in this because it will be shelling out money for no immediate return on their investment.;)

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

We will have to see whether Honda try and wriggle out of the deal, or whether they stay by his side.

I read Freddie Spencer's book "Feel" and Honda acknowledged, in later years, that they had been a bit hard on him when he had suffered his injuries - and felt a bit guilty about it and were apologetic.

But, as they say, business is business !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

I think dirt bike riding is a legitimate and accepted training method for racers to maintain 'bike fitness'.

Also a very common injury in the world of motox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Agreed, riding flat track is surely a legitimate training method.

I remember some time ago, not sure of the year, but Valentino Rossi sustained an injury riding his motocross bike - he explained that with motocross crashes you often come to a very sudden stop when you hit the ground, there is no sliding down the road like in MotoGP.

Rossi said that, because of this coming to a sudden stop, broken bone injuries were more likely to happen in motocross. For this reason he had been advised against motocross training and instead took up flat track riding, as the likely hood of injury was less.

How extraordinarily unlucky then, that Lorenzo should pick up a motocross injury, whilst riding flat track.

7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Lorenzo will miss Sepang test and be replaced by Stefan Bradl. He (Jorge) will return for the first race at Qatar in March admitting he will be 90-95% fit.

I can't see Honda even thinking about cancelling any contract. It's a training injury and they all have to do some kind of training on bikes, in fact some rider's only train on bikes instead of Gym training!

We need him to start the season fit, I think everyone, even non Lorenzo fans want to see him start the first race and give us all the best start to this highly anticipated season!!

That's just reminded me!!o_O

I had a dream last night that the season had started and I hadn't renewed my subscription to BT sport:eek:

It was an awful feeling:D

#47 PauloHRC, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

So do you cancel between seasons? So how do you get around the 12 month contract - just renew different components?

9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Not normally but I've been paying way too much for full package with Virgin media so I rang them up and told them I wanted to leave. Instead they put me on basic package which will do just fine until the season starts again. At which point I'm going to try Sky again! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1