LOVE Quickshifter

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Emywmpb, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

For a few years I have been tempted to get a quickshifter for my Fireblade. Every time my desire was met with reasoned arguments, such as “do you really need one for the road?”...... “aren’t they a bit expensive?” ...... “how good can they really be?!!!”

About a month ago I could fight the urge no more and bought a second hand HM+ and with the wise-words of a few forum members, installed it.

Wow! I suspected it would be fun, but I didn’t anticipate how addictive it would be and how slick it works with hard acceleration. I’m writing this thread purely in case there are other people who are on the fence about getting one, and to tell them, ‘do it!’ I only wish I’d bought one years ago!

Martin

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. gurner89

gurner89 New Member

I did the same on my old 600, also found myself purposefully slowing down just so I could speed back up and go through the gears again. Awesome fun

3. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Often thought about fitting one, may have to revisit this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I had never thought much of them. I mean, half the fun of riding is going through the gears, isn't it?

So, I was introduced to the quickshifter after buying my 2018 SP2 in March. No longer do I think they're over-rated. Certainly not essential, but as @Emywmpb says, they are addictive and fun. I don't use it all the time, but yes, under hard acceleration they are brilliant.

Strangely, I still haven't set mine for downshifting. No real reason why; I guess I should start exploring more!!

Perhaps you could test ride a bike with one fitted. That's a sure way of convincing you!!;)

5. Lee76

Lee76 New Member

I've had a quickshifter on my last 2 bikes and love it. Yes, not essential for the roads but you can get through the gears so much quicker and smoother. I looked into a quickshifter for my new blade and decided to pay a little extra for the genuine honda one, as you get down shift with auto blip too. IT IS AMAZING and also would advise setting the quickshifter to 1, as this requires minimum foot effort to change gear.

It cost a few quid more than say a Translogic, but to get auto blip and down was the main attraction and how I justified the extra £300

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Useful tip, Lee. I haven't even looked at those settings on mine. I'm presuming default setting is '2'?

7. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

Once you’ve had it I’d say it is essential lol riding my 600 now is such a chore lol

8. Lee76

Lee76 New Member

Yep, default is 2 or at least that's how mine came setup.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Blade runner 1

Ok still thinking about a quick shifter as much as checking out how much Benetts would bump up the premium, they would want another £170 for the mod. Anyone use MCE insurance and if so do you know what there modification policy is?

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I have all my bikes with MCE - but only because they offer best price for my situation. HOWEVER, when it comes to changing/amending a policy, they're in for their chop. I was charged 15 quid 'admin fee' just to advise a numberplate change.

Not sure on their policy for added modifications, but you could state your case that it's not a modification, it is merely a Honda option that you delayed purchasing. Further, it is not 'performance enhancing'; it allows you to fully concentrate on road/traffic rather than diverting your attention to clutch operation.;):)

11. Mattie1972

Mattie1972 Active Member

I fitted QS's to my last two bikes.....I'm no Rossi and would never win the "do you really need one?" argument but who cares!! Easily the most fun mod you can do to any bike.

Keeping the throttle pinned while flicking up the gears is a fantastic rush and something you can continue to enjoy every ride, long after you've stopped noticing the improvement you got from some other mod.

I test rode an S1000RR the other day with up and down QS plus blipper, that was a whole other level of amazing

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gurner89

gurner89 New Member

I’ve recently changed my policy with them, and I think they said that the only mods that would increase the policy price was turbo/superchargers. Things like a QS or slip on wouldn’t. Don’t hold me to that though, I may have just heard what I wanted to hear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Agree with you on this..I've recently renewed with mce & that's correct. But any damaged aftermarket mods only get replaced with oem if you claim. I've had qs and stuff and never been any extra with them.

14. Blade runner 1

Thanks people, MCE’s quote was cheaper than the extra Benetts wants for a quick shifter mod. I guess as Nigel mentioned they make money from people amending their policies etc. Now off to research quick shifters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1