Main Dealer Service Costs

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Rob, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Booked in for Tuesday. £150 for service and half hour to fit OE high screen. Said the first service and 12 months was almost the same so would combine both in one. When I asked about the screen the service manager laughed and said the screens are a bsatrad to fit and even they had broken a few fairings in the process. They have one guy who knows what he’s doing so he will get the job “that’s why I am paying you to fit it” was my response. Oh and he confirmed they use Honda approved chain lube not old engine oil that Jamie mentioned was used on his, he also added that engine oil will not do the chain much good and was surprised that a Honda dealer had done it. Can anyone post some photos of where the fairing cracks when the screen is fitted so I can have a good ol look at mine before I leave? Thanks again.
    Marshall in Peterbrough supplied the bike and are servicing it.

2. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

It looked like old oil, I am not saying they did use old oil it :)

I use wurth clear wax and it does not leave my white wheel covered in oil like the Honda dealerships stuff.

It's only because I am a compulsive OCD cleaner that it bothered me :)

3. Freedom of choice

It’s not OCD Jamie it priorities, my bike is immaculate. I never notice dust around the house, but one speck on the bike and that’s it. Wash and polish time.

• Like Like x 2
  4. honda.ima

honda.ima Active Member

I had completed 2600 miles on my 2011 blade and already changed the oil three times, once at 600 miles, once before winter and again after winter, so this would have cost me about £400.00 at the dealers, I also saved £65.00 on the tyres, but the main reason I do it myself is that on the CB1300 on its first service the chain came back so tight I could hardly move it and when they changed the tyres they marked the front wheel on both sides taking off lots of nice gold paint???.

I have no stamps in my service book, but record the work, keep the bills and photos of the work being done, my oil usage, MPG and every trip I make (may be sad) I enjoy doing this and get some satisfaction that I did it myself.

Oil is a problem it gets on your hands, clothes, garden path etc but I guess I am just messy.

Completing your own Service is not for everybody and I wish I felt I could trust the dealers, but I do use a mobile motorcycle mechanic called Robert Jones from Radstock who is excellent when I get stuck, he comes to you when you want and takes his time with care.

End.

5. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

Kent Motorcycles 600 mile service £38-12 (£22 for oil), 4000 mile service £131-67 with one and a half hours labour costing £75-00

6. Jamiestrada

Thanks for not making me feel weird lol

Why spend all that money then treat it like shite, I love my bike cleaning it is like laying down on the couch therapy for me, Riding it is like primal scream therapy, its perfectly balanced

7. Freedom of choice

Marshalls Peterborough – 600 miles service £150, labour including oils and filters etc. Labour to fit OE high screen £33.00.

A lot of interest shown from both the techs and sales staff about how nice the Leo Vince carbon exhaust cover looks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tucker

tucker Active Member

Mine goes to kent motorcycles they are top blokes there they repaired mine after my crash and it's better than ever plus they always take time out for the customer and would never have anyone over ! Plus the food in the cafe is good and cheap ( they have a Wednesday night meet there which is bang on too would be nice to meet a few of you lot up there ) so if you any problems call them ask for Ben or paul they are the peeps in the no !

9. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

Agree with that Tucks. Used them since they were in Clifftonville and have known Adrian from his days at Geoff Darryn's in the mid 70's, always good service and reasonable prices.

10. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

A great shop to buy from and very welcoming.Sent a lot of people to them.
    Bought everything from them bike leathers gloves boots great bunch of lads that have always looked after me.My 4000 mile service is coming up so they can sort that too.

11. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Just had my 4000 mile service at JT's in Wales for £95.00.

12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Christ! How far did you have to bend over for that price?

13. Jamiestrada

Think he was holding both ankles ken !

14. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Its only an oil + oil filter change and once over with a torque wrench . You lot are getting ripped off

Id do it my self but i want the dealer stamp in the book

15. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

From what I see sometimes they could do with a torque wrench hey Zeepony!

16. Freedom of choice

I know we are getting a bum rap but we need the stamp when we are still under the dealer warranty. bend over and breath out fellas.

17. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Local dealer charged a young lad near me (no names or they will be on the phone) £140.00 for his first service on his new CBF125 that he got from them....and I thought they were free, they did not even clean the bike just checked it over and changed the oil! I did his second one today, no filter as they have a strainer and a whooping 850ml of semi oil, took 15mins and charged him £15.00! I don't think he will trust dealers again.....lol

• Like Like x 3
  18. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Tell him to look at it that it didn't cost him £140, it saved him £125 a year from now on. It's a karma thing.

19. Jamiestrada

I paid £90 for my first service .... Oil change & tq bolts !

It's a warranty and future value thing on a new bike, for me anyway !

Look forward to visiting Arthur for the next service :)

20. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

£115 for my 4k service, happy with that.