Maintenance Help

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greco, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Greco

Greco Active Member

Guys, i would like to start doing my own maintenance on my blade (more cost effective t.b.h) starting with the basics so what do you recommend, online videos, manual, college courses...

I've been watching online videos of how to, etc but nothing hands on. Anyone in the South East that can help me out or teach me how to would be great so do give me a shout if you are planning your own service maintenance. I'll provide the coffee and donuts...of course!!

Cheers

2. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

I bought a Haynes manual from Halfords for £17.99. All you need for doing work on the bike. There is also the service manuals available online. Plenty of links to them on the forum!

3. Greco

Greco Active Member

Yes, got this already RamJam. Cheers

4. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Mate

Never used them , but read good things about them

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/

Other than that, like most of us, just get a manual and start working on it and learn as you go, and just build up your tool kit over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Greco

Greco Active Member

Heard about them too mate. Thank you.
    Try and learn as you go i think

6. Dave

Dave Member

A number of us on here have had bikes for many years ( many many years for some of us) so maintenance and repairs come as second nature especially if your a hands on type. I use a haynes manual for specs only but you can use them as a novice, just a lot of having to go to different sections.:mad: My advice would be have a go but know your limitations and if unsure leave alone until you've sought advice, this forum is wonderful for that;), all you have to do is ask. I would also recommend that you have some reasonable quality tools, don't have to be snap-on or the likes. Good luck and go steady.:)

7. Greco

Greco Active Member

Cheers Dave

8. RepsolSam

RepsolSam Well-Known Member

Whats a Haynes manual?

Google & forums are my friend's - and they are free... lol

9. Greco

Greco Active Member

I've been looking various 'how to' online videos of basic maintenance. Pretty good too. All i need is to try and make it work.

Cheers RepsolSam

10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I agree with all the recommendations.
    In addition, what I think is a must is Honda's own service manual. You will need the level of details in there for doing the job properly
    this is the first thing I bought after I got my bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Slick

Slick Elite Member

The Honda manual is recommended, got mine from the states for about £30. I do most things, install mods, basic servicing and replacement of service parts chains, sprockets brakes etc.

Things I don't do are engine, forks and head-bearings, not so much as I don't have the confidence but it is a balance of available time and the right tools.

You need the right quality tools, an appropriate space and an experience mate to guide you through when you do it for the first time.

My essential tools are:

comprehensive socket/spanner/racket set
    rear axle socket
    1/4 and 1/2 inch torque wrenches
    allen keys
    Oil filter removal tool (I only use OEM filters)
    1/2 inch Breaker bar ( at least 2 ft)
    one person Bleeder kit
    Oil pan
    magnetic pan(for bolts nuts etc)
    gloves
    caliper pliers
    rear axle socket
    steel rule
    dremel
    chain riveter/breaker
    vernier calipers
    Warrior stand or sometime similar to raise both wheels off the ground:)
    a feck load of rags

The thing to remember it's not only important to do the job correctly but to also to do the appropriate testing before you give it the full beans.

I'm south bucks (Iver) happy to provide a few basic pointers if you need. Gonna change my sprockets and chain shortly, shout if you what to come round and observe a cowboy in actiono_O

#11 Slick, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Greco

Greco Active Member

Nice one Slick! I am starting to buy my own tools now for maintaining the bike so nice to hear what others are having.. Still early days but i'll make it work ;-)

Cheers

13. stevet

stevet Active Member

quite a bit of effort in that reply slick....nice one

14. TaylorBlade

TaylorBlade New Member

Where in the south east are you?

15. Greco

Greco Active Member

Dartford area mate...nothing fancy

16. TaylorBlade

TaylorBlade New Member

I'm in Lordswood about 20 mins away. I have a few bits to do over the winter so will let you know when I'm getting the spanners out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jc6830

jc6830 Active Member

Biggest recommendation to anyone considering own maintenance.. BUY A TORQUE WRENCH!!! and not a naff one either. You need a range from as low as 10Nm up to around 150Nm. Overtightened bolts and aluminium do not work well together... and red face tight is not a suitable setting for fiddly bikes.

I've found draper expert tools to be more than ample for most spannering, and they will replace broken spanners etc.

The vortex 3/8 drive socket set is a good little starter for bike maintenance. A set of good quality hex drive bits will save you a lot of knackered bolts too.

oh, and honda do put special locking compound on certain bolts, so if it won't come with a sharp blow on the spanner, don't go crackers..

masking tape on bolt heads will save removing any anti corrosion coating with a rough socket face too

Other than that, best of luck.

18. Geoff Paxton

Geoff Paxton Member

Take your time and take a photo of the things you take off, two minutes using your eyes saves 20 minutes with your hands.