Marquez Treatment Harsh?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by nigelrb, Apr 9, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I guess this post might stimulate serious debate, but this is a topical issue.

Most of us would have seen/heard the penalties suffered by Marquez for yesterday's 'incidents'.

For the first, (riding in reverse from the start line) whilst we are not privy to any conversation, Marquez did communicate with a start line official before turning his bike to resume his grid position. How far should rules be enforced in such situations? Would the correct course have been to wheel the bike through to the pits and start from pit lane? Was a 'ride-through' a proper or reasonable penalty?

I saw the Esparago (Aprilia) clash as a racing incident. Sure, the rider in front has right-of-way, but as a rider, (and we are well-versed in expecting the unexpected) in the heat of the moment, should we be penalised if another rider moves into 'our' line? The Rossi incident was the same. Two riders converging to the same piece of track.

The thing here is that we are not talking about a pre-meditated action such as Rossi's leg kick at Marquez 2 years ago; these are clashes resulting from competition. I agree there has to be a Code of Conduct, but these sort of incidents, in my mind, do not fall into an area where penalties should be exacted.

Not one commentator (nor official) mentioned the incident of Zarco running Pedrosa wide (1st lap) - causing Pedrosa's crash in the same manner as Rossi's. It is inequitable that Zarco escaped penalty.

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

This will be a good one to start the week

3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Starting grid penalty was a school boy error by Marquez, he knows the rules so has to face the punishment. As for the other incidents one could be classed as "OK that's racing", but more than that is extracting the urine.

Marquez tries the last gasp late breaking lunge far too frequently and before long he will t-bone someone and cause serious injury. Look at how Dovi responded to him at Qatar straight after he tried it there. the other riders aren't happy with it and now he faces the backlash. He'll learn quickly not to do it so often or the punishments will increase.

In my eyes you can't compare the Zarco/Pedrosa incident. The only reason Dani crashed was the wet track.

Just to be clear MM is a great rider/racer, but he is also a dangerous twat who needs to sort his attitude.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'm saying nuffink :D

20180409_112101-2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Fair enough viewpoint. As comment though, the only reason Rossi crashed was his edging off the circuit. Both Pedrosa and Rossi were pushed wide after similar lunges.

I wonder whether these increasingly common lunges are last gasp desperation; an exhibition of over-confidence; or a combination of the two?

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Aw, come on, Lozzy. Release those inner feelings. You know you want to . . .;)

7. Frankblue

Frankblue New Member

I think he was overly aggressive in moves over Espargaro and Rossi, whilst admiring his charge through the field after a correct ride through penalty. A talented rider still has to control aggressive moves on others to ensure safety of all riders. I feel his red mist didn't clear quickly enough. I'm sure he would be the first to complain had it been the other way round. Great race though pity this has over shadowed a brilliant Honda win for Cal. The start line fiasco was avoidable, and Miller was hard done by too.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Rossi has done the same to numerous other riders over his motogp life, it's nothing new, it's called 100% racing, get over it people and enjoy the rivalry, it's going to an exciting year for sure :D
    Bring it on...

They don' get paid millions for pussy footing around,.win at all costs or retire...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Completely agree with SimonRR here; Rossi is a fine one to moan about this type of move, I remember clearly him doing similar to Sete Gibernau and what about the move on Casey Stoner at Laguna Seca!

It's hard, tough racing.

That said, MM does go a bit mental at times, it seems he goes juuuust a bit too far with his lunges.

The Rossi/MM rivalry just stepped up a notch and I love it! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ian63

Ian63 Active Member

Biggest loser here was Jackass - his team called it right and suffered due to the incompetence of race officials this weekend. It started with Canet being “clipped by another rider” - that’s what his team said after his blatant lunge. I think in one of the starts in moto 3 or 2 the green flag man failed to signal at the grid start too. Re the Espargaro incident Marquez should have been told to slot back behind Espargaro and try again not progress through the field and then lose a place. Rant over but ps what a great race for Cal and the two rookies on the podium and 99 looking to sign for BSB if anyone will have him

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

True, Ian. What happened to Miller was farcical.

It is also a shame these 'incidents' shadow what a great ride Cal made. To give him credit, despite all the 'factory bike' hype; his is still sub-par. Consequently, he has to ride BETTER than anyone else to gain his placings.

And what about 99? Petruci or Miller are more deserved of his Ducati ride.

Would Yamaha have him back? Not with Rossi still under contract. And does Vinales deserve to be outed because of Lorenzo's change of heart?

Rins is well earning his Suzuki berth, and the hot and cold Iannone also seems cemented.

However, Lorenzo's credits of World Champion in all classes might well be his saving grace.

12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

93 - He should be given 75 bonus points - so he will not have to try so hard and potentially injure other riders in trying to win them. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. racman

racman Active Member

14. racman

racman Active Member

blindingly talented, fast,.... exciting. we are blessed to watch a man who can do almost anything on two wheels....... but yesterdays actions were those of a spoilt brat whose disregard for racing rules and etiquette deserved a black flag early on in the race after a blatent lunge on espagarro.. the following incidents would then not have happened.. the rules and etiquette are mega simple. we all abide by them on trackdays. thats where education begins and it does not matter who you are you have to comply.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

At first I thought Marquez should have been black flagged, 3 separate incidents under investigation during one race?? I found myself shouting 'MARQUEZ YOU TWAT' at the TV, I was genuinely annoyed at what was going on, including the start line fiasco!! While I have the greatest admiration for Marquez as a rider, I have even more for Rossi and when he took him out......I lost a tiny bit of respect for him!

Having thought about things...... other riders including Rossi have all committed similar misdemeanours.....just not to this extent during a single race. I didn't see either of these as racing incidents, sure they happened during the race but they were rash, desperate attempts to make his way back up the field after cocking up on the starting grid.

I loved every minute of it though, it made for a very exciting race and it was great to see a different bunch of riders on the podium for a change.....if nothing else it has set things up for an amazing season with some old rivalries reignited!

Was anyone else hoping Zarco would take win from Crutchlow or was that just me??:eek:

#15 PauloHRC, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. andreww

andreww Active Member

And the Petrucci on Espagaro that has had no mention. He said that was harder than MM. Racing at those speeds carries risk and Rossi is more than guilty of being reckless. Needs to man up and get on with it

• Like Like x 1
  17. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Because MM was cutting through the pack he has to adjust his aggression. I think because he's ended up out of position and is clearly a lot faster than the people around him his passes have to be beyond reproach. I think there is a lot of concession given for 2 riders trading paint when it is a 1v1 and they are swapping position 5 times a lap. But for MM to be barging his way through folk who are lapping a lot slower is a bit naughty.

Having said all that, I'm in favour of keeping the punishments to a minimum and letting them sort themselves out on and off the track.

I liked what he did on the grid and I think Hodgson said it in commentary, he had nothing to lose trying his luck. He broke the rules and payed the penalty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Aside from Zarco himself, clearly just you, Paul!

• Like Like x 1
  19. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

How come Nigel? ? :rolleyes:

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Because I believe most people on the forum (and the British motorcycling community) would support both Cal and Honda before Zarco and Yamaha.

However, I'm sure none of us would mind if you purchased an R1 - so long as you don't put HRC stickers on it!!:)

• Agree Agree x 1