May have gone wibble

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by phantomx0_1, Dec 27, 2012.

1. phantomx0_1

phantomx0_1 Active Member

Having only covered 1567 miles on my blade in the 6 months i've had it, I've spent more time cleaning and modifying it than riding. Now this is the first bike I've not ridden in all weathers as I want to keep it nice and mint. Granted the weather has been rubbish this year and had it been better i would have done more miles.

I now think I should chop it in for a z1000sx which Is a little more of a do it all bike. The blade (for me) is a purely fun bike.

Do I need help?

I have a test ride booked on a z1000sx tomorrow!

2. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

If you can buy a bike purely for munching miles. That's what I done (bought a blackbird).
    Honestly the best decision I made. That way I have a bike for shits n giggles and a bike for all other needs.

3. phantom

phantom Active Member

no its just personal choice.I got bored or my RR5 then got a duke
    which for me was like discovering bikes all over again.a lot would hate
    twins but I loved it.got this blade for financial reasons(service it myself)
    but im already thinking about what next but thats because I change a lot.
    go for what makes you happy I say.

4. phantomx0_1

Well it's just that the blade is sat in the garage not being used and its an expensive toy to just have sitting!!

A second bike would be good but I have a scooter as well but I could sell both and just get one bike more suited for what I use it for.

Just pondering now but not sure what to do!

5. Givover

Givover God Like

Only you can decide the outcome .I went off course just like you and bought a new ZZR1400 and 1800 miles later was back on a Blade .All decent bikes are expensive toys and your new quest will be no different because just like us you have a built in chip in your head which means that you will use it and then spend hours cleaning it whatever the machine .Admit it dude ''you just fancy a change'' !

6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

There is a good article in Bike about the z1000sx and what one of the journo's did to it - made it loads better from memory.

I think they are a good all round bike - almost ideal for me as I do cover a few miles but I find the blade fine for my frame.

I hate the hit you always have to take when you trade bikes in although I know its easy / painfree (apart form the wallet)

7. phantomx0_1

That's the thing though I don't really fancy a change I'm just thinking practicality! Don't enjoy riding my scooter and the blade only comes out on dry days which seems a utter waste! A z1000sx wouldn't normally float my boat as a bike I'm more full sports or a naked. But I would use it everyday without fail rain or shine and I would worry about it getting dirty.!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Why would you care less about the z though mate? My guess is it'd still get the same tlc but more often as you've accepted prior to ownership it's an everyday bike.

The blade can be that bike, just get your head round it and use it, it won't kill it. I've seen bikes that only get used in good weather and look dog rough, and ones guys use all year but look mint as they are cared for.

Personally, any bike I have is for using, all that expense to wrap up and look at in the garage so the next owner can benefit from a slightly better nick bike worth an extra £500 ain't worth it. Use it and enjoy it, then owning it will be worth while IMO

• Like Like x 3
  9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

^^^ As Jumbo said the blade is more than capible for a do it all bike with the right tyres and riding gear plus all the fairing makes a huge difference on wind chill since going from my speed triple to blade

10. phantomx0_1

Yeah I know what your saying... It's been a bit weird for me this blade, every other bike I've had I've used in all weathers and have always kept them nice but I just don't see the blade as my daily commuter! Seems a lot of bike for 90% of the time going back an forth to work on... Saying that would make my journey a lot more fun! Test ride on the z1000sx is off for now as its absolutely chucking it down here!

11. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

If I had to commute I would rather keep the blade for fun and have a cheap runaround. if money was tight I would use the blade and just keep up with the regular cleaning of the bike

12. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I have been through this so many times over the years, but still repeat it with every different bike I get. I buy it, start out using it only in the dry then consider getting a second bike I will not care so much about or getting another bike I 'think' I will use in the wet and get enjoyment from.

When the bike has been sitting for 3 weeks because of the weather, I then end up breaking my rule and start riding it in the wet and getting it dirty. I always clean my bike when I get back from a ride anyway, even if it is dry !

I did buy a second bike when I had my 998S, cos I did not want to get it dirty. It took less than a month for me to get fed up with riding a bike which was so less fun to ride than my 998S.......I just did not enjoy it.....so I started using the Ducati in the wet and getting a ride regardless of the weather.

It is a personal choice thing, but have to say I am the same mindset as Jimbo, it is there to use and enjoy, and not worrying about resale valus and keeping it looking mint for the next owner. Also it is a Honda and they stand up to the weather much better than most other brands.

13. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

Just ride the damn Blade dirty!!!! You can clean the darned thing properly over winter, and what's a little water and dirt anyways??? You ain't gonna get much difference in price if you sell it mint or proper used but well maintained... Put some miles on it!!!

Then when it's sunny and warm, you'll still have your shits and giggles...

;)

Good Luck in your decision...

14. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

How was the test ride, shipmate? A friend had an 'Essex' and he liked it and it seemed to suit him. But he only kept it a year or so and chopped it in for an rc8r. He missed the rush of a sports bike.

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

from his last post

16. steve b

steve b Active Member

Ive got a 89 vfr and since ive owned the blade i never seem to ride it no matter what the weather the blade is just so much better to ride,
    its not a picture to look at it meant to be ridden just enjoy it.

17. vinnie

vinnie New Member

I've had bikes from new and there's alwyas that concern about using them and losing value so I'm going 2nd hand from now on - just picked up a great '06 model, obviously not showroom but very tidy and I'm hoping it'll get plenty of use - sounds like they're a great road bike as well, as long as I can hack the riding position!

And I won't be worrying about the depreciation! :)

18. phantomx0_1

Moment of madness over. I'm keeping the blade test rode the z1000sx today and its an awesome bike however I've done so much to my blade and havnt really run it in yet! Dunno what I was thinking. So panic over she's staying!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Givover

Givover God Like

Good call just spray all over with Putaline silicone and if it gets shitty give it a good wash half an hour less in front of the box and thats not a bad thing (Unless you are fan of Dads pissin Army ) Why is this shit on BBC 24/7 ? Rant Over.

20. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Good choice mate.

At so little miles you haven't even given the bike a chance. Put some miles on the bike next year and then you'll know for sure if it's for you or not.