Michael Dunlop

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by red5, Feb 22, 2017.

1. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Big fan of the Dunlops:D and can't wait to see the big fella upset a few big teams this year.... Yoshi always turn out some stunning bikes:)

3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

really like the look of that bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Just about to settle down and read MCN - double page spread about it.

I was really hoping Dunlop would take the gamble with the Suzuki - read something about Guy Martin's BMWs being available because of his move to Honda, and was sure that Dunlop was going to move to take advantage of that - rather than chance his teams move to the new Suzuki.

Really looking forward to this.

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

:eek:hmmm cos MD has good history on new bikes ey

brave move by Suzuki imo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Let's hope he doesn't stiff them like he did Yamaha!

7. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I can't think of anyone better to put on a new bike, 13 TT wins, current lap record holder and he's won on different machinery.
    Who do you think would have been better?

8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Same here.

Mechanical issues at the TT can mean game over no matter how good you are. But Suzuki are 2016 Endurance Champions - and the factory are supporting the TT effort.

The Suzuki appears to have good power throughout the revs, and Dunlop is the current lap record holder. It will be a hard task for Honda - but Guy Martin will probably still get all the attention !

Best of luck to him.

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Someone that doesn't walk away from the team when the bike isn't quite 100%..... and new bikes round the TT sometime get found out.

Not saying he's not the best rider.... but maybe not the best character to have on anything but a competitive bike.

10. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

The Yamaha was hardly a man an van outfit... full factory team wasn't it?

The suzuki is a completely new bike and nothing can test for the tt other then the tt so lets hope it's ok... as Mickie will well and truly spit his toys out if it isnt anything but perfect for him. Such is his desire to win races which btw is totally his prerogative

11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

TT racing comes round once a year, and they need to make their money. They do not get paid a great deal - even less if they have to sit on the hedge and watch the others go by.

If I remember the Yamaha had something fundamentally wrong with it - was it oil in the airbox ? - anyway something that was not going to be an easy fix. He gave it his best shot.

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Seriously mattie... you think walking away from a factory Yama team to pull his own bikes out the garage earn't him more money? Really don't think that's his driver... clearly wants to win races. And i'm sure he's ok for a few quid.

yeah you are right, that was the 'official line' but think it was more to do with not being competitive out the box. Which is a gamble with suzuki... and why I stand by my point, a risk for suzuki to put MD in the team as he has previous of walking away if it's not going his way.

He gave it his best shot! ha ha.. that's hilarious... but that's a whole other debate

13. Dutch Phil

Dutch Phil New Member

He ran the Suzuki 2 months back in NZ at Wanganui, qualified 6th.
    Must have liked it to go further.

14. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I've the greatest respect for anyone who undertakes to do the TT, but some are only after a finish while riders of the calibre of Micky D, Hutchy etc are definitely only interested in the win.
    If, with the yam, he didn't feel as if he'd got the machinery to do the job it was a brave decision to walk away.

15. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Totally agree. But he has form of walking away... Suzuki must be confident or big risk for them imo.

16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I am sure things have moved on - but when my Dad was racing he always reckoned to be better off as a privateer - providing you got good results - he kept his start money, his prize money and any advertising money, and he got some free stuff including a previous year factory engine.

Guy Martin wasn't in any hurry to sign up to paid motorcycle racing employment - Honda had to force him into it, wonder why that was ?

17. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Because he suffers from asperger's and doesn't like all the media and corporate bollox associated with the likes of HRC... and he doesnt need the money because he's a truck fitter who happens to be a TV celebrity in the media....

or maybe because he knows on a factory blade might be his last chance to actually win a race if he pulls his finger out... and HRC know that win or not, the financial recovery and exposure makes it a PR dream, so can throw a load more cash his way.....

funny old world isnt it. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

If Michael Dunlop walked away from Yamaha at the TT, then that is up to him.

If the Yamaha was not right then it could end in curtains for the rider at the TT. You have no rights to expect a rider to race a bike at the TT that is not sorted and has issues. Short circuit racing you could expect a rider to put in some laps and get some data in. But not at the TT.

At the TT one fall, could be game over permanently.

(incidentally anyone going to the TT, may I suggest "That Near-Death Thing" by Rick Broadbent.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

From that article, Milwaukee Yamaha boss Shaun Muir:

"We had an engine problem which threw up issues at the North West that we didn't expect and wouldn't see on short circuits."

Sounds dangerous to me. Engine problem, and things happening that they weren't expecting - and on top of that not a hope in hell of winning the race on it.

People don't seem to be queueing up to ride the R1 at the TT do they ?

2016 TT Results:

Superbike -
    48. Julien Toniutti

Superstock
    41. Julien Toniutti

Senior
    DNF - William Dunlop
    DNF - Julien Toniutti

I have not seen anything to see that Michael Dunlop was wrong to walk away from the Yamaha - I understand that people get upset, promises broken kind of arguments. But it is his life on the line, and his life chances ticking away.

Go get em Michael.