Mismatched tyres

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dave d, Sep 11, 2015.

1. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Some of you may know I picked up the RSV4 today, long story short the dealer put a new Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa on the rear due to it having a slow puncture the front is a Pirelli Supercorsa so question is can I get rest of the season out of em or do I need to put a Diablo Rosso on ASAP.

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I'd personally change the front... Prob the least fussy bloke about most things, but that id have an issue with??? Don't know why....

Seen plenty do it though....

Personally I'd be telling the dealer to swap it to match. Wtf sending a bike out with miss match tyres? Against manufacturers recommendations isn't it? Whole can of worms there surely?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

I always use matched pairs. Senior tyre technologist at Bridgestone advised that they are generally designed to work together and compliment each other. He was totally without bias and was bigging up some other manufacturers as well...

4. Voleracing

Voleracing Active Member

Thats fine sportier tyre on the front same manufacturer no problems .

BUT as said bit naughty of the dealer I would ask for a matching pair too .

5. dave d

dave d Elite Member

To be fair they could have plugged it and not told me.

6. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

I would want a matched pair even if the dealer will only do it at cost.

7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I was always under the impression using tyres of the same brand was ok well within reason ie not running race tyre on the rear and a proper touring series tyre on the front.

Normally tyre manufactures tend to adopt similar carcass design for each of their models and the upper layers were where they played about with things like compound types, rigidity, sipe designs and such.
    But a Michelin carcass most likely will be very different in construction to a Dunlop or a Pirelli.

I know for definite mixing carcass build type is a definate no no on both cars and bike and in fact illegal to do so. By this I mean mixing a combination of radial tyre, a cross ply tyre or a bias belted tyre.

Either way it it really comes down to your own preference and how you like to ride the bike and its use.

I personally hate Pirelli tyres as a whole they worked well in the sunny hotter days as long as you took your time and gave the tyres 10-15 mins of road riding to get them up to temp before starting to push em but in the rain geez I thought I was out playin on an ice rink with the bike! :mad:

#7 ShinySideUp, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  8. Voleracing

Voleracing Active Member

@ShinySideUp Pirelli tyres are my favourites :p Dunslips on the other hand :eek:

9. Dave The Blade

Dave The Blade Active Member

Whilst I don't have a problem running mismatched tyres and have done without issue (as long as the front is stickier than the rear) you've bought a premium bike from a dealer and should expect matched tyres. But if the deals done and you're happy with everything else give it a try and see how you get on. As the saying goes "If it's got tits or tyres it'll usually cause you problems"
    Enjoy the bike, they're fantastic.

10. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

Get rid for the sake of £80 + - a few quid.

11. SteB

SteB Member

Demon tweeks did this to me, PP3s ordered for fitting, ended up with PP3 rear and PR3 front, only noticed after the 1 hour ride home. Called them and told them the bike was going back the next day for the front changed. They told me that michelin is one of the only manufacturers that allow you to mix front and rears. I told them to shove the PR3 where the sun doesn't shine, and they agreed to change it.

I'd make the dealer change it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Would prefer a matched set meself but if it comes to nothing with the Dealer then Worry Thyne Self Not, OP!

Have ran all these tyres on Road and Track and it would give me no concern whatsoever tbh in the Summer season.

Diablo Rosso Corsa's are better in colder temps but if ya a fair weather rider then you have the stickier rubber on the front and that's always a good thing! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. N1xxl

N1xxl Member

Ride the feckin thing! Have done a wet race with the tyre on the wrong way, racing today with a Diablo Rosso on the back and a Bridgestone on the front.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

I picked up a bike yesterday with a brand new Diablo Rosso Corsa on the front.

I rode home about 10 miles.

I will be selling it soon as getting PR4 fitted.