Mixing tyres

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by collier32, Jan 11, 2015.

1. collier32

collier32 Member

I'm after people's thoughts on mixing Bridgestone S20 and T30 tyres ,at the minute I've got S20 front and rear but the front needs replacing I was thinking of giving the T30s ago so what do you all think of putting the T30 on the front running it With the S20 rear until that needs replacing then change the rear to the T30 thanks Mark

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

wouldn't bother me,for the road i'll put on what ever I have left over from the track bike.running an inter rear (although not road legal) and a racetec front atm.

general rule of thumb is don't have a grippier rear tyre than the front,but again,for road use it wont make any difference.

however,i'm sure there will be some people that would rather chew their arm off than use different tyres on a bike.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scott

Scott Active Member

^what he said

4. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

My mate's doing the same on his Blackbird, seems to be going fine. apart from falling off (low side) at the Nurbergring. Don't think it had anything to do with the tyres! Apart from the tyres were going far too fast, on a tight right, and they were cold, did I mention it was wet as well. Hmmm.
    Mike.

5. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. collier32

collier32 Member

Thanks for the link but it only mentions mixing with a different brand of tyre not between different Bridgestone tyres

7. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

For the sake of saving a few quid I would not do it, it would just mess with my head.

8. markie*mark0

markie*mark0 Active Member

as above, always make sure your front is a stickier tyre.

I've ran some different combinations before which don't inspire confidence in the tyres, so you will only know when you try it.

9. RedMacGregor

RedMacGregor Active Member

From memory I'm sure it's OK the other way round - think I've seen something on the Bridgestone web site. I'd send them an e-mail to get the definitive answer. I'd be interest to see what you think of the T30s once you have them fitted. They were amazing on Ron Haslams bikes at Donnington a few months back when I did a track day there.

Cheers - Steve

10. scooby

scooby Elite Member

I expect if you email bridgestone they will tell you no.reading that link to the bridgestone fact list,"don't change your own tyres"? err yea ok

11. collier32

collier32 Member

After emailing Bridgestone this was there response.
    We would always recommend running tyres in matching pairs, however this is not a legal requirement & is entirely up to you if you wish to mix them.

The truth is, we don't actually test tyres in all combinations to know which work & which don't.*

Kind regards,

S. Gulliver

Customer service department
    Loads of help that

12. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

If your like me it will constantly worry you and if that's the case don't do it.
    It's like plugging a puncture, loads of people do it it's said to be perfectly safe but the voices in my head will either ruin my ride or affect my concentration making me more dangerous.

If you can do it and forget about it then do it

13. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

It is a good idea to keep front and rear tyres a matched pair. Unfortunately this is not always possible as the tyres often wear out at different rates. All tyre manufacturers recommend you fit pairs whenever possible as the performance parameters from different manufacturers are different.
    If you have to mix tyres try to do so with tyres from the same manufacturer.
    A Bridgestone S20 with a Bridgestone T30 are OK!