More boring chain maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by blink, May 24, 2021.

1. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

cosmetic rust is one thing but rust on the inside of the plates where the O ring sits is difficult to spot and can buble up under the seal, pushing it out of position.
    TBH during winter, I try to minimise riding on salted roads and but cannot totally avoid them and found either heavy coating of wurth (over few rides) or XCP keep rust at bay when the bike is in the garrage in between rides.
    I also noticed that in cold weather, wax lubes go stiff so the chain links do not line straight until warmed up. XCP avoid this and no clicking sound when wheeling the bike in cold weather

• Like Like x 1
  2. Slick

Slick Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. blink

blink Active Member

i have bought some cleaner, and will give it a go when i can see properly to do it, thanks for the advice again boys :)

4. Hondaboy63

Hondaboy63 Active Member

Haven't been on the forum for awhile, so im late to the thread. Maintaining the chain with chain lube regularly, not having rust visible is necessary to prevent wear and tear on the sprockets. When cleaning, it also gives you the opportunity to check the chain tension and any stiff links. It takes 5mins to do. I normally after a long ride, clean with WD40, and apply engine oil, with the chain still warm. Then on the paddock stand run it up to remove excess. Clean the under tray. As mentioned previously we all do things differently, and think we have the best solution LOL.

• Like Like x 1