More on the Chinese parts debate

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by nigelrb, Nov 15, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

There have been many threads/posts about the merit of Chinese replacement parts. I have been a reasonably strong voice in defence of such products (I have Bad Dog levers on my RRB, and am now awaiting fairings for the same bike).

The reason for this post though is that I was just checking ebay for an RR7 sidestand and came across Chinese replacements (never even heard of them before this search) at a great price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Adjustable-Racing-Bike-Side-Stand-Kickstand-For-Honda-CBR1000RR-2004-2007/173476797517?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20160706105120&meid=531c3f16fe80430e823303175f28bf18&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=173476797517&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

Strange thing is that I would not even THINK of buying one of these lest my bike topple over due to metal fatigue or whatever. Strange opinion, I agree, from one who others would say risks his life with a Chinese brake lever!! Just shows that our opinions cannot be generalised over a wide area.

Chinese Stand.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Seen videos of Chinese brake levers snapping causing crash, I wouldn't touch cheap stuff at all, can't under stand why someone would spend loads of cash on an expensive bike and then dump cheap rubbish on it?
    They must to use cheap materials/machining to keep it as low priced as they do, why take that risk?
    I would have no faith in hard braking on track with cheap levers, that Stand might snap and damage your bike also?

But hey, each to their own ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I’m with you @SimonRR not an issue for the ‘Cosmetic Stuff’ (decals, seats and fairings even), but for what I’d class as ‘Structural’ items - that's a big no no

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Might not have made myself clear, but there is no way known I would buy one of these. Plenty of OEMs available here and Lithuania and USA (heavy postage from there).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Sorry @nigelrb but I wouldn't use a cheap Chinese stand, lever, rearset, suspension unit, brakes, etc, etc - nor would I use Hondas ABS again ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

only 2 good things come out of china
    1 fried rice
    2 sweet n sour chicken

end of :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

You've spent a years salary on bikes..and two pence on parts. Balance Nigel...balance.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yves saint Laurent suit with Aldi underpants comes to mind :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

What about my idol Mr Miyagi of 'wax on wax off' fame?:D:D

10. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Sorry to break it to you @nigelrb but i think he was Japanese :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Quite right!

Damn! Now I gotta go check whether my Chinese levers are actually Japanese:(!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Mine better be Japanese or there’ll be a letter off to Mr Honda :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Erm, correction - starting point for an 'ongoing':) debate - and understandably so.

So, Bazza. Now we're BOTH going to cop a hiding!:D

I must say those peg mounts look good, especially in black. Once again I'll say, as mentioned in another thread, it would be great for consumers if a company did a stress/metallurgy test on these products.

I have been blind to the range of Chinese products, mainly because I haven't really looked for them. I was astounded to see rearsets for sub-100 quid. As for durability/functionality I don't know but will seek out feedback/reports on them purely for my own interest.

As a further comment, could there be a case that we share a similar mindset to that of our parents/grandparents when the market saturation of Japanese products (especially household electrical appliances) swept the world in the late 1960s? I still believe China will become a market force in manufacturing - totally dependant of course, upon public acceptance and perceptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

or korean :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Or Thailand. I recently purchased a YSS http://www.yssshocks.co.uk/ rear shock for my VF1000R. Product is made in Thailand. Seems okay though, but I wouldn't expect it to rival the likes of Ohlins/K-Tech etc.

17. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

With foot pegs, rear sets, passenger pegs, etc, I would avoid the Chinese at all costs. The main problem there is the strength of the metal. I have personally seen 2 instances of snapped Chinese rear sets at the track, one of which caused a get off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

For the price of those pillion pegs you could have put the street hooks on instead. Smartened the line of the bike up and taken a bit of weight off it.
    I wouldn't touch the rearsets with a bargepole!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good point, except Bazz would have still needed the actual pillion hangers. To that end I think there's garages and sheds across Britain swelling with unused 2008 - 11 pillion pegs. Not sure how many have made it to ebay, because there might be those, like me, who would prefer to include them when the bike is eventually offered for sale.

Anyway @bazzashadow , forget about what we're writing here, because we are all busting to read your post of the trauma and frigging about installing the nice shiny black hangers/pegs to your bike. And of course pics of the finished product are mandatory!:)

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member