More on the Chinese parts debate

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by nigelrb, Nov 15, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep. You inherited the correct stem cells in the six degrees of separation between us:D:D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

Chinese rotors : they come with a scary brake power....
    I mean.... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Frig! If ever there was a case for me to revise my attitude over Chinese products, this is it! One would hope the rider is okay.

4. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

is that a real carbon hugger @Boothman or the rubbish look alike that came with the black one?
    just need to change the rear pegs;)
    and the seat cowl looks good, I keep looking at mine and thinking:rolleyes:
    also try meguiars ultimate compound followed by meguiars stage 2 polish followed by meguiars nxt wax and watch the black change colour to the best black you will see( and you thought you had problems:D).

5. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Standard black edition hugger but I like it - the new front Fenda Extenda (in carbon) didn’t show up today so I’ve got something to do next weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Well the Fenda Extenda turned up today, but it was damaged. Must say not Sportsbikeshop or Mr Postman’s fault it was still in its sealed packet from Pyramid but the snapped off part wasn’t rattling around with it so it was packed damaged by them. As ever SBS are their professional selves and provided a FOC Parcel48 return label - already on its way back so hopefully should get the replacement one for weekend. Need to be away in my shed whilst the mrs goes mental doing the Christmas decorations - I hate it.

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Shame about the damage, but once again sportsBikeShop delivers exemplary customer service! I love the place!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

It seems to me, that all the Chinese parts lovers here are qualified engineers and work in a government test center.
    Otherwise, where comes the knowledge from?
    Just do they open the box and argue that they got good quality parts and come to the conclusion the parts are even equivalent with certified and tested parts...

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I can tell you're trying to get a rise, and you just knew I'd jump in to this!;)

I wouldn't put myself in the 'lover' category, but have spoken highly of the levers I have. To that end though, I have stated that I'd love to see a bench test between Chinese and, say, ASV. Also, I expressed sincere disappointment on finding my new AGV helmet was actually made in China:(.

Sure, I have Chinese fairings on the way, but they are for a re-dress rather than as replacements for OEM. I am aware of other posters saying that they're thinner and a tad brittle, but hey, they won't be seeing too much action on my bike anyway.:)

@derchef 's post with the broken rotor is particular alarming:eek: and serves to reinforce those opinions offered here about NOT buying Chinese 'structural' parts. After seeing that (assuming the rotor definitely is Chinese) I'd have nothing to do with their major components.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Have to agree with that @nigelrb ......I'm happy with my fairings and not too bothered if they were to fail or get damaged but after seeing that rotor, it does set the alarm bell's ringing!

Also happy with my brake and clutch levers and have been tested under track day conditions but I have thought about replacing them recently too. Definitely wouldn't consider wheels after seeing that rotor though! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

Will post another time this nice test , oem VS china wheels

Attached Files:

12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Just downloaded this .......what was the outcome as it's all in German .......I think :D

13. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Nothing really to do with Chinese parts, but...
    I tried a SP1 the other day with stubby leavers. They aren't for me. Fashion item?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Yeah I don't like the feel or look of them, I replaced my oem levers with aftermarket long length levers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

The quality of the metals and the casting process of some of these aftermarket parts could have a huge impact on the strength. Wouldn’t be putting unproven structural parts on my bike. On the other hand I don’t have a problem with fairings, screens etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I know what you mean - I’m still undecided about the ones on the black edition,

upload_2018-11-27_7-18-1.jpeg
    but as I also got the standard ones with it I can swap back if it messes with my ocd too much

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I like them...they're light and easy to use and look nicer than the big 'shoehorns' :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'd never had an interest in them because I like to wrap my hand around a reasonable length:).

Very coincidentally, the aprilia I've just scored does have shorties. I'm not too keen on them, but I will have to adapt because they're ASVs. I would be a nut case to take those off!

But, Kevin, I don't think of the short levers as a fashion statement; more a 'horses for courses' application. I can relate to some people wanting a more 'direct' feel and understand @Lozzy 's position also. Perhaps there is a case that the 'shorties' are more comfortable for the smaller hands. This must go into the 'personal choice' bucket, just as some like their clutch to bite a couple of millimetres after releasing whereas other prefer a lot of free-play before it grabs.

20. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've big hands for a woman :confused: I'm a large in men's gloves :D but I find shorties just fine.
    Although when I've fitted ASV's in the past I have preferred a long clutch & short brake mainly to ease the clutch hand as I was commuting a lot.
    Must admit when I got this last bike that I looked at the levers and thought they may be too flimsy but I love them now :)....or maybe I'm just happy to have brakes again lol :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1