More on the Chinese parts debate

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by nigelrb, Nov 15, 2018.

1. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Thanks paulo for the offer but I have just looked them up and I will stick with what I have got.
    But thanks again
    Two nice offers you have gave me:):D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jae

Jae Active Member

Very well put.

There are some things china made that personally wouldn't buy for numerous of reasons(.i.e. fairings as they don't flex/align up well, design/colours of levers or rear sets).I do have china made rear spools and if someone was to tell me something else otherwise I'd have a good laugh. There's nothing wrong with China, German, UK made parts, at the end of the day it's your bike.

3. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I have had two sets of fairing from china for my track day/road use and they fit well, both got over 3 years use and not problems with flex or fit.
    sunny cadwell 03 (2).jpg abwzUB.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

If the quality and the quality control are equal or much better in China, then it should be easy to get the UK, EU etc. certification.
    I only was writing about parts which don’t have any official EU or US etc. certification.
    We are not talking, let’s say a BMW part, made in China. Parts made in China for EU-US Cars or Motorbikes etc. have to fulfill the specification.
    We were talking about the cheap parts people buy from China, and they think that's a top-notch quality but don't have any official certification from any EU-US country. Also, the regulatory bodies in the EU, Germany, etc. does test the structures durability, including a failed test and much more! That might be not the case in the UK.

https://www.tuv.com/world/en/accessories.html?verbid=130

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Again, a generalisation.

I support @SimonRR . My recent Chinese fairing purchase is excellent. No problems with alignment at all. As with many manufactured products from all regions, we will find good and not so good to downright appalling.

181207 1..jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Active Member

The main problem with acquiring the certification is of course cost. A low-cost option (from wherever the source) will avoid having parts certified as these can be thousands of Euros to get done.

Thanks for the link to TUV, I'd be curious to understand what actual testing they do on aftermarket components for motorcycles.
    Usually TUV certification can be achieved by having certain quality controls in place, same as ISO, but of course, this means an inspector has to visit the facility!

The only regulatory controlled structural requirements that I know of are related to the side-stand retraction (EU), steering lock (EU), brake lines and maybe wheels (JASO) but I have a feeling this last one is also voluntary.

But I am curious to learn more about TUV if they have more specific tests!
    I am only involved in OE design and the aftermarket segment could be more regulated.

#146 grip-wolrd, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Agree with @SimonRR and @nigelrb about fairings. I've had a set and the fit and alignment was near perfect! As for flex.....how much flex do you really need?? I'd say not much......however when I fitted mine it was on a nice warm day, laid all the parts out on my lawn in the sun and they were plenty flexible enough to fit without any issues.

As for parts, some I would potentially use. I've had bobbins, preload adjusters, and to a certain extent brake levers have been ok ;)
    Screenshot_20190103-211935.png

• Like Like x 2
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I have used various parts from China but there are some limits i.e. not brake or load bearing parts. I know many companies outsource to China but those deals are done with proper quality control. The smaller backstreet factories that just copy a design may not have those controls, and whilst they may be perfectly adequate it is not a risk that I am willing to take.

As for fairing flex, yes they are more rigid than OEM, and yes they won't last as long as OEM but mine were 4 years old when I sold the bike, but they cost only 20-25% of OEM fairings unless you are lucky and get some 2nd hand ones.

9. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

That’s exactly what I think
    But I also agree some stuff is crap.
    I had a bike with Chinese levels on it for 8 years
    Had an off and broke the bar end and wore the handle bar and all it done to the lever was scuff it. Still going strong

• Like Like x 2
  10. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

and I think it’s like everything
    If the makers of the so call good stuff weren’t so greedy we would all buy from them

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Demmel

Demmel Member

Many people pay attention to the chinese parts just because of their prices.
    Personally, I don’t see any advantages there. If it were not for the question of money - I would stay away from them.

• Like Like x 2
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Interesting perspective.

Incidentally, my Chinese carbon tank panels YOU were interested in should arrive this week.:D:D:D;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

not really, thought everyone was talking about things like brake levers,

• Like Like x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Maybe so, but I am the original poster, and the discussion centred around Chinese parts in general, in particular at the first post, a Chinese RR7 side stand. The thread then expanded to all manner of Chinese parts including fairings, which has been an enlightening (for many) discussion.

With respect to my previous post:
    that was a direct response to fellow member @Demmel with whom I have exchanged various posts and PMs about Chinese carbon tank panels.

So, not only am I not 'derailing' the thread, I am also expanding content of the topic;).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Demmel

Demmel Member

It will be funny if it is on the сhinese panels that there is no gap that the more expensive ones have

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Jae

Jae Active Member

I wasn't generalising, just stating my opinion. I've had my fair share of after market fairings and prefer OEM. But yes, we all do find good and not so good regardless of what brand, or unbranded.

17. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

18. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I think my concern would be how well they're going to stand up to the job given they're looking at bit tatty already.
    I presume the seller is buying them even cheaper from China then flogging them on.
    Even if I'd only paid £20....if they're advertised as new then that's what they should look like imo

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The bolt holes make them look as if they're used - despite them advertised as new and unopened. I am fairly particular and I would query it with seller. They actually look like seconds:(, although I don't say that insultingly;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

good old boy replied really fast and has offered a refund:)

• Like Like x 2