MOT question... Front forks/suspension

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Rr-Len, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Rr-Len

Rr-Len New Member

Looking at a bike for my brother, it's a honda blackbird and needs a mot, the front forks are pitted with bit of rust, will this fail a mot?

image.jpg

2. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

i don't think so as it not the inner forks..

3. scooby

scooby Elite Member

not sure tbh,as it actually is the slider part of the station.you could try cleaning them up to avoid a closer inspection,but if they are pitted,it will lead to knackered seals eventually

4. scooby

scooby Elite Member

also,it needs a lot more than an MOT,a bit of TLC wouldn't go a miss either :)

5. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

your right i think Scooby.. if thats the case then (that they are the inners) then i would say that will likely fail..

6. Dave

Dave Member

If the owner has let the forks get into that state what must the rest of the bike be like, especially the bits you can't see. As Scooby says seals will be a regular job to do with the stanchions in that state.

7. Rr-Len

Rr-Len New Member

I spoke to a mot tester and he said it would just be an advisorie as long as fork seals are not leaking he cannot fail it on that, if any mot tester does then ring vosa up he said.
    Rest of bike is mint, he's a ex copper and is a distant family relative, he brought bike brand new and it only has 8150 miles on clock now, been garaged since new but has sat for last 4 years, iv looked into it and will be about £350 in total for forks, that's new stanchions and seals, and yes tlc it needs and have priced up oil, filter , petrol filter air filters new petrol and yes clean tank out ect.. It's also had a service from honda.
    Brakes arnt stuck on but I would think will need a rebuild but once it's up and running things that need to be done will be done

• Like Like x 1