Mot, removing headlights but keeping drls

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by dern, Mar 21, 2021.

1. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I know that you can remove headlights, indicators and the rest and pass an mot but does anyone know if you can do all this, fit drls for visibility and still pass? I looks at the testers manual and couldn't figure out that combination. Just wondered if anyone knew?

Thanks

2. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I presume it is the daytime only you are referring to.
    I was only aware of headlight removal not the brake and winkers being allowed.
    If you fit drl, my logic says as you still have no uk spec headlight,then daytime mot can be issued.
    I would call a couple of centres to find out

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Reading between the lines, if there are any lights fitted and permanently connected, they must be working.

4. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I spoke to our local mot place and they said that they believe if I fit drls I would need a headlight too to pass the mot.

5. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Are you after daytime MOT? in which case proper headlights are not needed as I understand
    For full MOT then you'd need legal headlight as I mentioned. One of the MOT checks is the beam intensity & throw. I am surprised you local was not sure certain about this. Perhaps a more knowledgeable center is the remedy:)

6. dern

dern Well-Known Member

They were certain, that's what we both understood. The question was whether adding separate drls to the bike after removing the headlight constituted adding position lights which then needed the headlight putting back on. They said I could get an mot with no lights but wouldn't get one with just drls and no headlight.

7. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

this is what I found on another forum which is also about the extent of my knowledge
    Also check out https://www.techmotorcycles.co.uk/mot/

hope is is of help:)

""Dear-----
    Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 4th May 2010, concerning daytime MOT's.
    A daylight MOT would require a motorbike to have a horn and a rear registration plate.
    The testing guidelines state that motorbikes can be exempt from having lamps tested if they meet the following criteria:-
    machines which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are:-

• only used in daylight hours
    • not used in times of serious reduced visibility
    The following items/lamps are not required to be tested in order for a MOT to pass a daylight MOT test as long as they meet the criteria above.
    • Front and Rear position lamps
    • Headlamps
    • Stop Lamps
    • Rear Reflectors
    • Direction Indicators
    VOSA can only advise on MOT standards queries. For information on the legal requirements you will need to address your enquiry to the Department for Transport, as they deal with the Construction and Use Regulations and Road Law.
    The Department for Transport can be telephoned on 0300 330 3000, or you can visit their website at www.dft.gov.uk for further contact information.
    I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.
    Kind Regards,

Robert Evans
    VOSA Contact Centre
    Operations Directorate
    Tel: 0300 123 9000""