MOT warning ( tad noisy exhaust)

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by bradt, Aug 3, 2018.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Like most of us i am aware of the recent changes to MOT for cars but this morning i was concerned that my Blade wouldn't pass its MOT due to the fitting of a non standard can, i was told by the tester that a lot of bikes are now failing the test due to them being noisy when a aftermarket can is fitted (apparently they need to sound like stock item) lucky my Leo Vince with baffle installed for the test was within limits and the bike passed, but the tester did say some Yoshi fitted bikes have failed the test and he thinks a lot of Harleys will have problems :) So check before booking in because if it fails, I think you have to leave the bike at the MOT centre, but i may be wrong on that.
    Now this may be old and known news but thought I would mention it .

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

How are they testing them, by ear?

3. Fran9r

Fran9r New Member

Erm, they may try to keep my bike, but they won't be doing so...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I have a Yoshi on my 2011 and got an 'advisory' under the previous rules. Now, it would be classified as 'dangerous' (to the environment:rolleyes:) and fail. I have already purchased a baffle ready for next year's MoT.

I have heard mention of having to leave a 'dangerous' vehicle with the testing agency. I have scanned the legislation and MoT rules and cannot find any authorising statute or regulation. Even if it were left to the tester's discretion, there would still need to be an authorising legislative clause. I wonder if @T.C might assist with this?

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

True. There is no equipment specified for testing exhausts. What is loud to one tester will be sweet music to another!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Madness.
    My tester said there were no rules On noise !!! I specifically asked about it because of my Racefit.
    He was fine and we laughed at how loud it was/is :eek:o_O

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I'm sure before long the rules in Europe will prevent modifications to the exhaust system etc. Hopefully it shouldn't impact us.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

You bloody harbinger of doom...you spoke too soon :eek:

In today's paper!

I think I may have to nip down one early morning and do several fly pasts Sir Hugo's mansion to let my akra express its concern :rolleyes:

20180804_093455-1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. hitch

hitch Elite Member

:(:mad:
    FFS

what annoys me about this is that the Harley Davidson and others of that design get a bye, because they come out of the factory making that racket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Muffking

Muffking God Like

So they drop in that he used to ride a Vespa, like that makes him an expert and unbiased!!!
    With those db figures we're all fecked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Maybe someone should write to Graeme Paton at The Times Transport Correspondent to set the record straight as there are many holes in Sir Swire's argument. Not least the fact that the development of electric cars has little to do with noise pollution, that's an air pollution/energy argument. And if motorcycles account for only 3.3% of vehicles on the road then how is it worth the cost of kitting the Police out with even more test equipment to carry around?
    Fvcking politics. I had hoped that Brexit would mean that we took control of where our Tax is spent, but no, the government can still find a way to fvck it up!

[rant mode off]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I like the comparison they use in the attached article in Lozzy’s post.

A vehicle measured 101 dB which is equivalent to a pneumatic drill 5m away.

Presumably the vehicle was measured at a distance of 0.5m from the exhaust opening in accordance with iso 5130 so by the time you get to a distance of 5m the vehicle would measure approximately 82dB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Gunna p/x my SP2 for a Vespa. No one will out fox me!!:D:D

14. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

In for MOT today so I went into panic mode last night and fitted my completely useless baffle in my Racefit Growler 2.

See what happens over the next hour ! :eek:

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Mmm. Can't wait. As you've seen from other posts, it's totally at the discretion of a tester. We might need to make a special thread for 'recommended' (as in lenient) testers. Then we might be able to attend a centre close by with an almost guaranteed pass!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. hitch

hitch Elite Member

At the very least you can have a laugh about how you tried to quieten it down! o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. auag

auag Active Member

It is beyond coincidence. Police taking an interest, media roll out, authorities becoming inconsistent.
    It's problem reaction solution, again.
    This is how they normalise the idea of electric bikes.

18. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Ugh, electric bikes :(

19. auag

auag Active Member

On their own electric bikes are dead in the water. The threat to engines is cost and harassment. Little by little they'll make it untenable to run engines, and if that doesn't work they'll create a crisis and phase in a ban.
    It doesn't help when McGuinness and Rutter claim a single lap, with no depth of field, on a Zero bike a real TT.

20. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Let us know how it goes, will be making a mot friendly baffle for my SC Pproject next week.