Motodynamic Tail light Installation

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Emywmpb, May 4, 2016.

1. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Hi guys,

I have just taken delivery of a smoke motodynamic integrated tail light for my 2012 Fireblade, and have a question for all those guys who have self-installed it:

The electrical wiring seems to be relatively simple, but in order to install the unit does the rear fairing (the plastic section that fits around the pillion seat) have to be removed? I took this off when I had to split the sub-frame to remove pillion pegs and it was a scary job - came close to breaking the plastic and would prefer to avoid doing it again!

Is the electrical wiring as simple as it seems to install the new light?

Thanks guy, appreciate it.

Martin

2. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Unfortunately yes it does as there are 2 screws which hold the light in place were on my 09 anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Corki

Corki Active Member

Try this, it will give you some idea on whats involved

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Honda couldn't fit it for 2 weeks so I just did it myself. Was actually really easy and the only problem was an irritating bolt which sheared mid-removal and I had to drill out and replace.

The smoked light on my primarily white bike looks amazing and it has tidied up the rear end far more effectively than I had thought likely.

Hugely pleased.

5. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. TrackDayT5

TrackDayT5 New Member

I need to sort mine :(

7. Gary Britton

Gary Britton Active Member

Does anything need to be done to the indicators to make them flash correctly?

8. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

It's really well designed whereby you simply disconnect the existing plugs and reconnect the new ones.

Under the main seat and pillion seat there are three plugs: one large one that controls the brake light and the license plate light, and two small ones each for an indicator.

Once the rear of the bike is removed and the main seat off, disconnect the main plug and feed the cable through and remove the old tail light. You can also disconnect the smaller plugs (removing these cables is easier if you've got a tail tidy already).

Next insert the new tail light and fix it into position and thread the new cabling back into the area under the main seat. Be aware that there is a lot more cabling on the new light and it's a bit like Tetris to fit it all under the seat.

Simply connect the larger plug to the now vacant female part and the same with the two smaller plugs. Blue to blue and yellow to yellow. Check they work before reassembling though because mine worked back to front, so I had to pair blue to yellow and vice versa!

I didn't want my old indicators on anymore so I removed them and removed the old wiring which fits out through a rubberised hole in the bottom of the rear storage area.

The only problem I had was that the screws and bolts Honda used were a really soft metal and in a few cases, were distorted and difficult to remove.....I practically had to rip the indicators off because a screw had warped out of shape and wouldn't come loose.

Easy job all in all and well worth it.

9. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Looks very neat mate

10. Gary Britton

I'll probably order one of these along with some street hooks.

Do the indicators flash properly?

11. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Yeah they work perfectly. Be aware that you'll have to find a 'friendly' MOT inspector as the indicator divided the brake light which is a fail. If you remove the originals, bringing them along to the MOT might help - the same goes with my Racefit exhaust.

I ordered mine from California and picked it up when I flew to America a week later, but if you have it imported I think there might be a small charge of about £20.

12. Gary Britton

I'm going to Vegas and asked them about posting it to the hotel but they didn't recommend it....

13. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

My circumstance was slightly different in that I flew myself out there and my organisation had a gentleman living out there to take delivery and hold onto it for me until I arrived.

Realistically £20 import tax isn't much and there are guys on here who have had it delivered within a week.