MotoGP 2018 race length changes

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by BlackDevil, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

MotoGP 2018 race length changes

Race 2017 distance 2018 distance

Austin 21 laps 20 laps
    Jerez 27 laps 25 laps
    Le Mans 28 laps 27 laps
    Barcelona 25 laps 24 laps
    Brno 22 laps 21 laps
    Misano 28 laps 27 laps
    Valencia 30 laps 27 laps

2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Yeah read about this, it's apparently to make scheduling easier for the organisers due to the the new Moto E world cup for electric bikes. All the races will take place at some of the European rounds and will start before the Moto gp race on Sundays.

Can't see what difference a lap will make? o_O

3. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Motogp would do themselves a bit of good if they adopted the older WSB format of two races on the Sunday. Make each race a 12 lap dash. Non of this sand bagging and playing the waiting game for 25 of 27 laps. Make them go for it from the start. Extra championship points for top 10 qualifiers.

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Le Mans and Catalunya tickets booked - hooorrray :)

A cynic might argue that they have reduced the amount of racing time (lecky bikes don't count) so that people will have more time to spend shopping at the track - the less time the spectators spend watching the racing then the more T-Shirts and burgers they will sell :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

the older we get the more cynical we get. if they want me to do some shopping (or even attend), they need to reduce the prices not only of the admission but also the price of the merchandising. £25 for a $1 made in China baseball cap, you're having a laugh.

#5 Kevin1, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well, three laps in the case of Valencia, and two in a couple of others. Three laps fewer on a soft tyre might see a bit more pushing in the latter stages of the revised distance. Lighter fuel load also. However, I wonder if some spectators might feel short-changed?

Totally agree with Kevin1. I would buy merchandise at a reasonable price, but not at the present levels.

• Like Like x 1
  7. john k

john k New Member

I like that point its right it would make for a more dynamic race but ur right a few spectators would feel short changed

• Thanks Thanks x 1