Mountain biking

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tuktuk, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Mmmmm wonder if I could find someone willing to buy my 12 year old carbon road bike off me for enough to let me buy a new Ti one with electronic gears and disc brakes :D

2. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

I seen that giant, its old angles, not that good, to be fair you could be stuggling for a grand, 1200 to 1400 is prob what id be looking to spend,
    you prob want a large to, the sizings all diff now, a large is close to a med now, plus you could change the stem for a shorter one
    you want a shady last min bid on something like this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nukeproo...a=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

• Like Like x 1
  4. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

its a med tho so too short

5. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

That's a decent bike that tucker, just think about if you actually need a full suspension bike though?

Would a decent hard tail be better suited for what you want. Something you can ride to the trails and back and be comfortable on the road. I see so many people on full suss bikes bouncing down the road at about 10 mph :D suspension sapping all the energy out of their legs!! o_O:rolleyes:

I've had full suss Norco, specialized but I never used them like they were intended for like free ride and down hill. Those sort of bikes are what you load up in your car and head to Fort William!!

If you just want to ride to some local trails that are not to demanding then a hard tail with suspension forks is the way to go. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Just looked at a video of those wild team leccy bikes, what a bit of kit they look!

Tbh I think whatever I buy it will be wasted on me :D I love the idea of mountain biking but I dont really know anyone local that does it that I could go along to try it out with and see what I think. Whatever I buy could well end up as a clothes drier.

This one seems newer and a large too. Think I will struggle to get near a grand though?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353106169914

Appreciate the help :) I've been disregarding size larges left right and centre lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Yeah I though about that, they are alot cheaper too or you can get a better brand or newer etc for similar monies. I watched a few videos of the trails I'm near and they all seemed to be on full suspension ones. The good thing is I'm less than 2 miles from the trails so getting there and back wont be much of a chore. Picked up a van recently too so worst case can always throw it in that and drive it around.

Have you still got the bianchi? Mine is literally an ornament, never moves o_O I cant sell it as I've got it hung off the wall in the bedroom and cant be arsed getting the holes filled in where I've fixed the mount.

20200202_230538.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Are giant sized different to most? That one I've linked to might be too big looking at this.

TRANCE_SIZING.jpg

Think that relates to a 2016. Couodnt find one for 2017

10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Yeti ARC (sorry :rolleyes:)
    upload_2020-6-26_8-37-51.png

• Like Like x 4
  11. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

If it helps I'll come remove the bike for you! Nearly bought a Bianchi but dealers had no stock so it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Yeah still got the Bianchi, I'll be keeping it as its the first bike I've built up myself so kind of attached to it. If you do sell the wall ornament I will have it off you :)
    Screenshot_20200626_134625.jpg Screenshot_20200626_134652.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Trust me you wouldnt want it :eek: Most uncomfortable pain in the arse thing I've ever ridden.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

No seriously I'll have it. I've got a sella italia vintage saddle that will look mint on that and is also comfy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Slick

Slick Elite Member

stock photo of my Klein - looks archaic but it is 20 years old

ac6302f3-a312-4b14-8df0-91404a0a1939.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah them electric are awesome, sick of pushing my nomad up hills, you can go 30/60 mile depending on settings,
    never been a fan of giant looks old to me the decals on the forks look a old design to, the orbea or a nukeproof looks a better set up to me, I do like the orbea its only short travel tho
    your going to struggle getting anything half decent for a grand but 200 300 more gets you something nice
    my advice is save a bit more or sell something, just as a example that orbea I posted from pinkbike is 1600, he might let it go for 1200 1300,
    carbon frame, nice forks, xt parts are not bad, look at the stem and handlebars then look at the giant stem and handle bars, the orbeas stem is shorter and just to the eye looks a better set up over the giant, shocks look a lot better, the fox 32 forks and shock are only short travel, its ideal for blasting around trails, as Paul mentioned hardtails I use to love them and still do, there alright for streets and jumping but get them on a good trail with roots and rocks and drop offs there not so good, the traction off a full susser is better the tyre digs in just like motorbikes, imagine a crosser with no shock, be bouncing everywhere,
    if you spend that little more and get something nice you've more chance of keeping it up, and more chance of selling it, bet that giants been for sale for a bit,
    the orbea again
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18921494/
    oh id say a large will be right for you, im 6foot and I have a large, 6foot is in-between large and extra large depending how you like the handling, a large for me is sharp and agile where the xlarge would be slower in the turns but more stable and faster in a straight line over shit, I like jumping and 6 to 7 foot drop offs so I like a shorter bike, think your bang in the middle of a large

• Like Like x 1
  17. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

My nomad

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

im not into these but it does look good on the wall

• Like Like x 1
  19. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I keep watching videos on the electric ones now. Very tempting lol.

Yours looks class. Is that a full on downhill type? The frame looks like a different style/shape.

I will have to hold off and see what else comes up locally. I dont mind travelling but Glastonbury is a bit far!

20. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah I had a go of a couple a 5 grander and a shit £2500 voodoo, i'v not smiled so much for a long time, even on the shit one, you just peddle and it fly's u up the hill, up to 25mph,
    its classed as a enduro like my nomad, flying down mountains and jumping and dropping of stuff, shit for peddling especially when your not fit, a full down hill is double yoke and over 250mm of travel on back, for up lifts like at revolution bike park or fort William, but a good enduro can do it too, and more, you can get electric downhill now to. lol, have a look at the avalanche race that's enduro , about 500 riders set off at same time its chaos, they even do one on the snow its mad have a look on youtube
    its massive now biking there so many trails, load of shady man made stuff, with burns drop offs and jumps, but there's still alot of peddling that's where electric comes in, these trails are 20miles of forest and hills its too much, on electric you can do 2 laps, fly up hills you would normally push it up, your just flying everywhere tell you truth, plus you enjoy the forest and trail more, in stead of blowing out your ass and figuring out who shit idea this was, plus ill use it more on my own just go for a 20 mile blast on turbo, trails and canals go on for miles, no roads, no stopping just blasting about, instead of just thinking cant be bothered, try and have a go of a electric one , 0% 100 a month I think, 2 year warranty 4g decent one lol

it was just a example it was a long way, pinkbike might be better than evilbay too, ebay high prices at mo