Mountain biking

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tuktuk, Jun 25, 2020.

1. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

i'd love to be talented enough to ride this track, watch a few of this guys vids, this is mountain biking 2day for me
    oh these two are on electric bike, watch near beginning where their going back up to top and the two lads on normal bikes are in background pushing

• Like Like x 2
  2. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I've been watching a bit of his stuff, I'm so deluded I've been looking at it thinking couple of weeks in that will be me :D

I didnt have the balls to jump the mx bike as far as some of the ones hes doing o_O

3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Things have changed a lot !

Not seen anything that looks better than this though ;)

Apologies - going off on nostalgia trips of old-school mountain bikes :oops:

upload_2020-6-27_8-40-45.png

• Like Like x 3
  4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

LOL I make no apologies, always wanted a Pace RC200, soooo distinctive

4864942489_750440b55b_b_pace+mountain+bike.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah I always wanted the pace, looks like they where going for weight on the your pic slick, I would of liked to see some Chris king parts chunky it up a bit,

I come across this vid before thought it was a good example of what you can get up to on a bike today, looks an epic day out, and with electric bikes now pretty much anyone can do this, 50/60 year olds unfit people, smokers,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

OOOOO didn't realise Pace were still around, the new RC295 makes the RC200 look like a penny farthing, doesn't look like it was lovingly hand crafted in a yorkshiremans shed anymore!
    upload_2020-6-27_12-57-46.png

#46 Slick, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That was really good that. How they can handle those rocks. Still getting punctures I see :D

These Dream Build vids are nice to watch - they did the Pace 295. Quite a bit more complex than my old hard tail !

• Like Like x 2
  8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Beautiful, just watched that end to end. No music, pure bliss
    The care and skill that went into that was amazing, almost tearful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I bought a conversion kit from CSC geared hub, LCD display, it is awesome, I added a 15ah batt and all in cost £400. I do think some are overpriced for what you get.

10. Slick

Slick Elite Member

What is this sorcery, this is black magic that needs to be understood!!

11. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah mattie there super strong, I've jumped off 7 foot walls on mine, its bounced 6foot in air, smashed into trees, yeah the week point still is the tyre, they are tubeless now that's what all that white stuff was coming out trying to fix it self, its a weight game with tyres just like motorbike wheels, there pretty good really, the shit they take, iv just broke my headset bearings slamming into a tree, I hit that hard plastic on my seat snapped with my weight and impact, everything else fine apart from my body slamming a tree

that build vid was strangely arousing to me, the front end and bottom bkt was the highlight for me, nice vid mattie,

slick you can convert you bike to electric, using the hub, its night and day to the tech out now, good bikes have always been expensive, its like anything after a certain price its small increment's for the money, watch some vids these new bike are engineering art, same argument can be said about motorbikes I guess, if not more, why have a 20k motorbike with 200bhp, its pointless.
    how much is happiness, if you use it and enjoy it why not

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Bought a new mountain bike today - don't laugh :D

Marin something or other £399.99 !

Nice to be back on a mountain bike again, but it will be used only on trails like on the west coast here.

Loved it - should have got one ages ago ...

Marin  (1 of 1).jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

This thread has got me to dig out mine again, got a Fuji Nevada(sp?) 29er that's about four or five years old, need to get a roof rack for the car I think and head out somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

LOL just sold my 20 year old Trek8000 I used to race, cost me over a grand new and probably another 1K in upgrades and has been stuck at the back of my garage for 10 years after a frame denting incident, absolute shed, and a complete resto needed, fetched the tidy sum of £64, nice guy who collected it, but didn’t know the first thing about bikes, his £50 government voucher ain’t getting him far unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Bargain that......where's it from??

16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

From a local shop called Adventure Cycles - they have not got much stock - even less now ! I only saw a row of three Marins - Large, Medium and Small so bought the medium there and then. Rode out the shop on it

upload_2020-8-14_8-46-20.png

@Stuish
    Get the bike out - while there is some summer left !

@Kentblade - racing eh - looks nice that Trek a bit of a winter race series special !!

• Like Like x 1
  17. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

After 8 years on a raleigh, I got my current giant rincon back in 2002 and did about 1200~1500 on it per year trail riding only. All year round, hot summers, sub freezing winters, ice, deep snow, deep mud; the full works.
    My recommendation is to keep it simple; stay away from disc brakes and all other fancy stuff. Front shock are really necessary and if it is simple (like a straight spring), will be hassle free. Rear schock would be nice.
    Depending on the combined weight, your fitness and the steepness of your rides, check the standard gearing on the chaiset and the cassette.
    Tyres with chunkier and more aggressive tread pattern tyre require more effort at the pedal so choose according to your ride & fitness.
    An angle adjustable stem extender will do wonders to your ride comfort if the factory setting is not enough.
    Anything more fancy or complicated will cost you time and money on maintenance

18. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I bought another bike a month or so ago. It's about 14/15 yr old Kona Dawg, it's in decent nick. Swapped the saddle, post, grips, QRs out. Rides well.

I was doing well sold a few, had 8 retro bikes in the garage at one point. Now we're back up to 5. All get used though, no garage queens any more.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Cold wind so headed inland around the lanes and farm tracks. Should have taken those silly reflectors off by now !

Marin green laning resize (1 of 1).jpg

20. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

Here's my Cube, Had it 3 years now, Been using my bike on fine days for commuting, 10mile round tip.
    Very please with it, Just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyres which smart guard puncture resistant lining.
    Hoping this helps with less puncture's .

Ride Home From Herts.jpg

#60 Spartan Andy, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2