MT-10 Foirst Service

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by TheRamJam, Jun 26, 2018.

1. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

So I have just had a quote of £140 for the bikes first 600 miles service at the local dealership. WTF???

All that is required is an oil & filter change and a quick check over according to the manual.

£13.74 for the oil filter - Fowlers
    £2.77 for the drain bolt crush washer - Fowlers
    £44.99 Fully synthetic 10W 40 oil 4.1L - Online

Total £61.50

This is stupid money to pay, so am paying £78.50 in labour for a job that should only take 30/45 mins

Anyone else getting screwed over for servicing prices?

What can I do to keep my warranty?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I understand completely. I was invoiced similarly for my first service on the SP2. However, I was able to remind them that I had negotiated a free 1st service as part of my purchase agreement.

They claim also to check all the nuts/bolts/torque settings - a pile of crock probably.

You'd obviously be aware that a dealer price will always be dearer than an independent workshop. Check your Warranty book. Whilst I can't comment on Yamaha conditions, Honda state that it is 'preferable' to return the bike to a dealer. There is no reference to voiding warranty if not done so. As long as the 'service record is appropriately endorsed' the Honda warranty stands. However, with a legal mind, I see the word 'appropriately' being subject to abuse, in which case your own signature would not be deemed 'appropriate'.

I'd favour biting the bullet or taking to a local tech with a good reputation and have them complete the warranty book.

3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Think I paid about £100 for the 600 mile service on my GSX-S.

Once that service is done* the only requirement for servicing in warranty is that it needs to be done by a competent person. They can no longer voud a warranty due to non branded dealer services, they would have to prove it wasn't done propely and that it was a contributinf factor in any fault.

*I think you don't even have to have the dealer do the first service but it is recommended to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

This was Watchdog advice regarding cars but same advice probably applies to bikes.

Legal advice
    EU Block Exemption laws let customers get cars serviced outside dealer networks without invalidating their warranty. But manufacturer service schedules must be followed and original equipment parts used.

Our verdict
    You MUST keep detailed records if servicing your car outside of the dealer network. Makers aren’t obliged to pay claims when a car hasn’t been properly looked after – ensure you can prove yours has been.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

As Lozzi has said, as long as genuine parts are used you can take it anywhere, best thing they ever did as your not tied to a stealer for the Length of your warranty

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

My mate done his own on an aprilia, bought the parts through the dealer. Stamped the book himself. Saved a fortune.

7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Mine came to:

• Parts - £64.79
    • Oil disposal - £4.00
    • Labour - £66.00
    • VAT - £0.00

Total £134.79

Do they itemise the VAT separately in the UK ?

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes. They have to because it is a reclaimable amount (as a legitimate claim) for those who are VAT registered.

9. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Scumbags, tell them to stick it. You can do a better job at home anyway. Warranty will be fine.

10. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I have an email from Yamaha UK stating that I can do all rhe bikes serving Including the first 600 mile, as long as genuine yamaha parts are used and schedule is to the followed, the warranty will still stand, however most warranties only last 2 years, so chances of anything going bang before warranty is out is unlikely.
    So I have serviced my bike from new, in fact I look after it better than a dealership would I reckon .
    When sell it won't have a dealer FHS, but all the receipts are here and a log of all work carried out.

So save money and do it yourself, unless you are keeping the bike as an investment and need a Dealership FSH?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

From my perspective, with or without a dealership record would not influence my buying decision. That fact that the bike is well maintained and of low miles is my priority.

Up-to-date books would be a bonus for any collector. The major problem here, though, is that most 'investment' bikes have just been normal, everyday rides for many years before they reach collector status. Consequently, they've had a few owners and all books/records have been lost or discarded in the divorce settlements.

In your case though, Simon, you'll be well ahead both financially and peace-of-mind knowing that the job's done right.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Cheers for the input gents

I think i'll just order up the bits and do it myself. Not spending silly money just for a stamp in the book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

Yeah this is complete balls, when I changed the headers all the inside bolts were able to be loosened by hand! Was a bit annoyed if I’m honest

It’s only had a £120 first service done 100 miles ago

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I would be ropeable!!

I'd be back to dealer with the strongest complaint, only to be fobbed off with some half-baked excuse about climate change or gravitational forces having adversely affected the bolts' tension. We all know that few dealers will accept responsibility!!:rolleyes:

On the other hand, Alan-lee, it's fortunate that you did the header change. I'd hate to think of the consequences of a couple of header bolts completely unscrewing when you're 100 miles from home.

• Like Like x 1