MV Agusta

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by nigelrb, Jan 22, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'd recently expressed interest on another thread in buying a 2007 MV F4 1000R.

Anyone on here owned one or know of anything to be aware of? It's a 6,000 miler (verified by MOT) and although priced a tad hefty at £8,000 is in excellent condition. Cheers.

2. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

Bad idea ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

With respect, that doesn't actually help much.

Your 'garage' contains a great collection of bikes. I therefore assume you'd know your stuff. Would you support your view, even by PM if it's not for public viewing? Cheers!:)

4. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I think it's fair to say of the currently existing Italian manufacturers MV has had a bit of a challenging ride financially; either going bust or near enough a few times over the last decade.

It's a fantastic looking bike, but I'd be concerned about build, especially 10 year old Italian electronics, spares backup and the dealers actually been around long enough. If it was a 2nd bike it would be a different story. Something to walk into the garage and polish and for sunny Sundays. I'd definitely want a full dealer service history and some reassurance that there was a decent local dealer for £8k.

I'm sure someone like Griff over at Aprilia Performance in Tamworth would service it for you, but it would be on you to source the parts. AP Tamworth are well respected and Griff really knows his stuff. If I was to buy an older Italian bike they would be my plan for servicing and maintenance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, I'm a walk around and polish kinda guy!!

Ta for the tip about 'Griff'. Always good to find a guru!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. derchef

Bad quality
    Bad assembly
    Spare parts situation simply WORST
    Reliability from new was already a nightmare , image 10 years later
    also , as already stated , MV Agusta company situation in not that healty ....

Ilarious read this kind of stuff here : https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/march/mv-agusta-future-secure/

Cause only here on this financial italian newspaper you can read about 50000000 euro of debt .http://www.ilgiorno.it/varese/cronaca/mv-agusta-1.3537824

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I've always loved the MV F4 and can still remember the first time I saw one in the flesh and it was a beautiful thing.

I think I've seen the one you're looking....does it have a private plate on it begins in B4?? As a second bike it would be great to have in the garage to drool over and then wipe off/Polish!

Reliability could be an issue but that's all part of owning an Italian superbike of that particular age, there's nothing quite like the exoticness of italian bikes, I should know as I've had gen 1 and gen 2 Aprilia RSV'S (Both low milage) dripping in ohlins, Brembo and OZ racing wheels.....always had that feeling that they would break down on me though they never did, repairs, parts and servicing were ridiculously expensive!

Never owned and MV though so could be a different story, hope its not a lemon......Just don't go very far on it and you'll be fine haha ;)

#7 PauloHRC, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  8. derchef

Forgot : must check all recalls are done !

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks for your good wishes Paul. No response to my request for a viewing; now wondering if the guy's got cold feet!

You're right about the 'B4', so you can see it's in mint condition. There is always a question mark of reliability over anything of age (including over-50s on dating sites:D:D), but I'm not overly concerned. To put this in the right perspective, just consider the prevalence of Blade ABS problems, both historic and current.

Not many 'good' bike roads around my way so won't need to go far. If worst comes to worst, I have MCE pick up cover - I'll just have to double check my registration number first!!;);)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Looking at the bike I can see why you're tempted by the 'exoticness' of it all (is that even a word?)

My blade feels positively bland in comparison to the RSV I had before, but I was mad on Aprilia at the time. If I could have justified keeping it as well as having the blade I would have, but I wanted honda reliability, plus I sold it for £500 more than what I'd paid for it 2 years earlier!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. dainesefreak

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Agree...& you sometimes have to take the 'excellent' reviews with a pinch of salt too. I checked through associated company records of another bike dealer mentioned on here & surprise surprise...some of the good reviews were posted by connected people :rolleyes:
    I prefer the colour scheme on Nigels tbh than the cheaper one...it looks bland

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

A VERY special thanks to Ian E, DF, Lozzy and PauloHRC for your comments and links. As a new member considering buying a non-Honda (but keeping my prized Blade) I feel proud that you have reached with tips and advice.

The white 312 is a nice bike, but I fully agree with Lozzy that the 'traditional' red and silver is, to me, a REAL MV. (Perhaps I'm in an Agostini time warp?) Certainly, some of the dealer feedback put me off, but I think the old 'caveat emptor' applies to both private and dealer.

I have also seen the 'Senna' at 9G, but once again, red seems to trump that too.

So yes, I have already conceded 8G is a tad high, but still, to me, the bike represents value. I will find out first-hand on Saturday because I am biting the bullet and heading to Glasgow for a viewing. I'm just hoping to not cross paths with Paul because I might buy some chips at a motorway services!!:D:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. dainesefreak

I'll be really interested to see how this turns out.

Are you going with cash ready or just for a look over at this stage?

18. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I'll be elbows deep putting my GB engine covers and new brake and clutch levers on Nigel so crack on with the chips mate!

I take your going cash ready if you're going all that way??? :eek:

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes, DF and Paulo, cash ready, but deposit only. Present owner wants to retrieve personal plate, and I want to finalise by Bank Transfer.

Have a good price from: https://www.anyvan.com/vehicle-delivery/motorcycle-delivery to use if I do (hopefully) proceed.

My biggest concern is being able to understand them up there!! Thanks guys!:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep. I'm 'proper keen' to plagiarise Paulo's excellent grammar!!
    Had quite a few days communication with present owner. An older gentleman (much like myself) with similar OCD traits! Have quizzed about his reason for selling. I guess we always have to take those at face value. Hope to be able to crunch the price a bit, but will only do that face-to-face. There's a nice 'Senna' advertised by Jems, but to me it just doesn't have the classic MV look.

Might have to follow you with the helmet bling; I don't think my red/white/blue AGV will fir the bill - but at least it's Italian!!:D:D

• Like Like x 2