My day could have not wen't worst

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by InsanitY, Jul 20, 2018.

1. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Whilst we're all correcting eachother.....this one is my pet hate. Laser is an acronym so it has to be spelt with an S. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Yes I realised after I had posted. Sorry.....:(

I still tend to think of the crash helmet manufacturer of the same name who spells it that way :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

. . . jumping on this bandwagon, as an acronym, LASER is to be displayed in all capitals. Ref: Oxford Handbook of Style for Writers and Editors page 126.:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

To answer your abs query...
    I've just part exed a blade with the usual abs issues in for another Blade at Honda also.
    I had the same thing on and off over 4 yrs and 40k. And it played up twice about 6 wks before I got shut.
    As long as your service's including the abs bleeds etc are stamped and in order and up to date, then Honda really have nowhere to go on the issue, how can they...when they deny there's a problem anyhow as roboticus has already said.
    Apologies if you already do this, but apart from turning the inlgnition off/on, try pumping the lever as well. It sometimes fixes it for a bit. Plus this hot weather and engine temp affect the abs sensers too.
    Like I said, if your paperwork is all in order to show your bikes been maintained properly, then I wouldn't mention it and just do the part ex.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

This is so so sad, but I disagree with you. Not all acronyms are capitalised every time. Some are just so common that the capitals are dropped. Laser and Radar are both examples. I'm not saying another word on the matter now, I've bored myself to sleep. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

I see your point I was thinking the same.:D

7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

While we're on spellings and grammar.............check out this threads title!! ;):D:eek:o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Don't be so pernickity, Paul. We are about friendship, camaraderie, and assisting each other.:rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, 'threads' is apostrophised as in thread's, because it's possessive. Strange for you because you usually place them everywhere they're NOT needed! Love ya!:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Nope......
    It's definitely threads.

Thread's would be.......thread is........for example 'this thread is'

If you look at the top of your screen on this website it even says 'watched threads' which is also possessive. ........because they are mine!!! ;):D:eek:

Here is an example of correct use of an apostrophe.

I'm right and you're wrong!! :D:D:D:D:D

10. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Damn, I have stumbled in on an English lesson, now where are the bike threads

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Never realised @nigelrb was a nom de plume. There we were thinking Hess died in the 80s :eek:

tapatalk_1510134347363.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well done, Simon. No apostrophe, because your use of 'threads' is as a noun. The same for 'watched threads' where 'watched' is the adjective describing the noun.

However, when we speak of a thread's title, we are describing a title as belonging to the thread. Paul is correct in displaying ANOTHER useage of the apostrophised thread's as per thread is.

One could perhaps say this thread's boring all members:D because someone took it off-topic! :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

I do hope If I get an NIP you guys are gonna jump and check for any mistakes that I could use just like some real lawyers cause you can surely argue English literature all day:)))

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

I am sooo happy the pain is over:)) just to follow up I received this today

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Naz

Naz Active Member

Lucky lucky boy! Just make sure your more careful now!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

e617fab194cd0ed3877df447f3502588bbe573d1a9ea995ae03b973e4d16d3a2.jpg

17. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

Looks to me like a warning as they had no proof of speed merely observed you were speeding.

Just saying..

18. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

That's the type of letter you get when you go too fast past a group of local busy body volunteers who have been given a speed gun. Happened to a colleague of mine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

20. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

I’ve just read that article and have to say, that is bloody laughable.

There are communities in england who have bought radar guns themselves? THEN 3 of them in THEIR OWN TIME, stand at the side of the road and ping people coming down the road. If the speed is excessive they then tell the police who send a letter of warning out. If you receive 3 of these you can then be fined?

Hold on, hold on, so I go to the pub some night and have a barney with some ol’ todger who has nothing else to be at with his day and next thing I’m getting fined for excessive speed. All this is taken on the word of a person spending their evenings trying to catch their locals out..

This is actually a hilarious read.

I’m sorry but there has to be some different rules in england as i just can’t see how this ever holds up.

I would literally NEVER pay one of these “excessive speed fines” go to court and laugh my way through it for the simple reason of NO PROOF other than some senile old pleb at the side of the road with a pencil, jotter, radar gun and a lunch box.

Unreal

• Funny Funny x 1