NC 500 in August… Tyre choice?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jay Floyd, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Hi all I’m doing the NC500 in August on my Fireblade. the question is…. TYRES!

I’m currently running Super Corsas V3s and I know they won’t last!!
    So I need a set of tyres that will last the trip to complete the trip. Starting from Cornwall!

so far I’m looking at:
    Meztler M9RR
    Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2

any advice is welcome….. yes I know…. I must be mad doing it on a blade from Cornwall

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Good for you....it'll be a great trip....enjoy :)

I'd go for the M9rr or Battlax 21's.....I know they do the 22 now but they're a pita to get at the moment and silly price.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marc

Marc Active Member

I'd second the recommendation for the S21/22's. Currently got an S22 on the front and S21 on the rear of mine due to the supply issues Lozzy mentioned but they work fine as a combination. Never had any grip issues, wet or dry, stable, predictable, turn in nice, good wear rate, etc. I've nothing bad to say about them, other than the fact they're not free.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I'm running S22's on the Duke and it's got nearly 3k miles on the rear and still going strong. I know, must be getting old. ;)

Didn't run S22's on the last Blade, but by comparison I'd get through a rear in less than 2k miles. I've had no issues with grip or handling too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

You'll be lucky to get 1 tyre to last the full trip as the roads are very abrasive. I'd actually consider just a touring tyre for the back or something well priced. Maybe something like a Bridgestone BT016R as they've been around for ages, but are still a great tyre.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

You’re not going to be doing high speed on the nc500, I’ve ridden it a couple of times on my rsv, as long as it’s a relatively new tyre you’ll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. edderby

edderby Active Member

Get a decent sports touring tyre, they last for ages. I toured Europe on Bridgestone BT023s a good few times - they lasted the distance, but they dulled the steering quite a bit. More recently, I’ve used many pairs of Michelin Road 5s and I can honestly say that they last even longer, steer much more sharply and never run out of grip (the outer few cm is soft rubber and slick tread) they cope well with heavy rain too.
    Just this last week I bought a pair for £261 (delivered) from Crossan Tyres in N Ireland and had them fitted today for £35 at my local bike garage. They grip like limpets and last at least 5,000 miles.
    I fully understand people’s reluctance to put “touring” tyres on their Fireblade, but in my personal opinion, you don’t know what you’re missing!

8. edderby

edderby Active Member

Also, you’re definitely not “mad” doing this UK trip on your ’blade. As long as your knees aren’t arthritic, it’s a great touring bike. I’ve ridden many 700 mile days, visiting Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland etc and had a great time.
    If doing the NC500 though, I’d skip the boring East Coast and go up the middle through Altnahara, then head west from tongue

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Presuming you've never done the NC500 before it's worth doing it in full once for the scenery if nothing else. As far as riding is concerned (especially on a sportsbike) I always find there's no need to go any further north than Ullapool. You just get snarled up on tiny roads behind motorhomes etc. Have to say August can be a total pain with tourists, May and September are the best.

S22's get my vote.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stuart Gould

Stuart Gould Active Member

I get around 2000 miles on my S22's and got slightly less on the S20's and S21's.

Are you using motorways to get up to Scotland or going the scenic route? If its motorways I'd be looking for a touring tyre as I would fear that the S22's and more so S21's will square off too quickly.

• Like Like x 1