Need advice from you wiring gurus and clever types!

Discussion in 'Non Bike Related' started by thezipsteruk, May 4, 2015.

1. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Ok, Ive put up with it too long and I need it sorted...properly!?

Speaker wiring! I'm fed up with my surround speaker wiring being tacked all round the room (skirting boards, door frames corners etc) its bloomin ugly and as we are due to decorate the front room I guess now is a good time.
    But how the hell do you hide them...I assume you drill a hole in the cavity walls and poke the bad boy in the somehow with the aid of magic or pixie dust make it come out of a hole near the floor or better still the receiver? how?? what about the wooden beam things? you can see my problem!
    should I get the pros in or am I assuming its harder than it is.

Any help or advice would be great?

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Carpet or laminate? With carpet I normally push the cable under the skirting board. Luckily our current surround sound had a wireless option for the rear speakers so didn't have to do it this time.

3. Womblewizard

Womblewizard Active Member

I dropped the ceilings put spotlights in and speakers, I then came down the wall at one point and fitted a speaker input box in the wall then all plastered but that might be a bit over the top for what you want ;) unfortunately 6 months later the other half then wanted to move the furniture around so now have 3 metres of speaker cable under the carpet going back to the box :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. thezipsteruk

As weird as it sounds we have vinyl tiles and a big shaggy rug where the sofas are...so no hiding them there, but the worst bit is the cable running up to the wall mounted Kefs (speakers)

5. sinewave

sinewave God Like

You can't assume you have Dot n Dab walls (cavity) and even if U do getting a cable up and down is next to impossible without proper electrical cable rods.
    Then U have to get across the ceiling void and if the joists aint going the right way then it's either flooring up upstairs or cealing down.

I'd ask a Spark for advice if I was U

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Millsp1

Millsp1 Active Member

I got fed up of running cables along the skirting boards so bought myself a Sonos speaker, quality piece of kit with great sound quality that you can use from your tablet or phone.

7. thezipsteruk

Yeah Im trying to fight the urge to spend more money and the Kefs are so good, it seems a shame.

8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

If you're fitting new skirts anyway just use a router to create a channel on the rear side

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Julian

Julian Active Member

No expert but that looks like a recipe for meltdown to me ?