Need helmet advice

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Coda, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Coda

Coda Active Member

I bought a Scorpion EXO 1400 Air last week, which felt really good on my head, but when I sat on the 'blade to bring it home, I realised I had visibility issues. I thought it was my backpack pushing up on the back of the lid, and bringing the brow too far down over my eyes, so I could see only a few metres up the road, until I am travelling at speed. Obviously, this is dangerous. I went out for a ride today without my backpack on, and I've experienced the same issue, so I went in to the shop I bought it from and they agreed to exchange it. Reading about this type of helmet (ones with the fighter-pilot style internal screen mechanism) I get the impression that the front of the helmet is thicker than normal helmets due to the extra room needed for that internal screen, and this is what's causing the problem. Apparently really suited for a tourer...?

I am not sure what to replace it with, has anyone experienced this before? Any helmet recommendations in the same price bracket (200-400 quid)?

Thanks.

2. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I thinlk you are right about the additional space at the from for the sun visor.
    The forward tilting problem can not only be caused by the fit, how you wear the helmet but also your jacket fit at the back of your neck.
    Shoei NXR's have good visibitiy. I hace an HJC RPH 70 (I think) which is good sport touring helmet with very good visibility on the blade.
    I have found if the top of the visor sits a thumb finger above the eyebrows, the it works well on the blade. But on an adventure bike, the downward vision may be limited

• Like Like x 1
  3. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I've got one of those and don't have the same issue so I guess if you've eliminated anything that pushes the back up it must be a fit issue for your head. I haven't noticed that the thickness of the front shell caused a problem. Shame, as it's a good lid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. T.C

T.C Elite Member

The problem with buying any helmet or asking for any recommendation is very subjective.

What might suit one rider may not suit another, the issues experienced by some may not be apparent with others.

Everyone's head is a different shape and helmets are no different. For example AGV fit me perfectly. I used to be a confirmed Shoei user but the shape has changed and in fact Arai (which never used to be an option) fit me better, mainly because whereas the Arai used to be designed for tall slim heads and Shoei were intended for the more rotund shapes have now swapped places and I can't even get a Shoei on my head unless I go 3 sizes bigger than I actually am.

Also bear in mind that a helmet when new will give and mould to your shape and so a tight fit is imperative as it will increase by about half a size as you get heat into the liner and it beds in.

Search for my articles on here and it will give you a guide, but you need to try a few on.

Oh, and don't thing that a £400+ helmet will offer any better protection than a £200 hat. If it fits right, they will both offer equal protection and comfort.

5. Gatsoburner

Gatsoburner New Member

I use a Shoei with the visor inbuilt on my job bike and was fine on the BM XR i had, i too suddenly suffered visibility issues on buying the blade so ended up buying an Arai, im pretty sure i have an Arai head !
    The difference is considerable and way more comfy with the Arai

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coda

Coda Active Member

Thanks all, an update: I got the Exo 1400 Carbon replaced with the Exo R1, and visibility is way better for my head, it's comparable to my 20yr old Shoei. That extra half inch above the brow really makes a difference.

Only downside now is I have to remodel and 3d print a new gopro mount as the front profile is different :D

7. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Yep, you just need to try them on.
    Recently bought a Schuberth C4 pro and the brow visibility is a little reduced to my Arai RX especially in a tucked position..... but the sideways peripheral is vastly improved, I don't need to crank my head so much on the lifesaver check

• Like Like x 1