New ‘blade for 2020?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by hitch, Sep 14, 2019.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Aw, come on Gary. Just PM me and I'll decide if it should be shared!:);)

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

This is a problem as Honda use agency staff of the stands. Pretty poor I reckon, cos we should be able to get definitive info from the source, not some part-timer who could be promoting HP Sauce in Tesco the following week!!:mad::mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Being it's your birthday today, I guess you can give yourself a treat!!

Happy birthday!!:D

4. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Right don’t shoot the messenger, as we walked around the show I bumped in to the salesman who I have bought 3 new fireblades from, his words are you buying the new SP my reply, know and certainly not with rear pegs and pillion seat that’s not an SP, with the salesman was the owner of John Banks Honda he chirped up is it really an SP? Have they just stuck a SP sticker on the front of the bike and is there a proper SP2 coming out the year after with no pillion pegs/seat etc etc and kept winking ha ha
    He also said the prices at the minute are estimated as everything was a bit rushed to get them to the show, 20k for the standard black one and no qs/blipper fitted he said in March they will certainly come standard with them fitted .

So who knows ha ha but I would be hanging on for a new SP2 ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Thanks Nigel, and yes the 2016 R1M I bought last month was my treat to myself

• Like Like x 2
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Okay. If these are indeed 'suggested' prices, from my view they could not go any higher. Surely? That would mean any movements would be a lower price point. But even over the first few weeks, Honda will be assessing the interest and reactions over the bikes. They will be seeking almost daily dealer feedback and undoubtedly monitoring forums like this. On here, there is overwhelming evidence that the prices are higher than expected and higher than market parity. A good percentage of those members are potential buyers. Honda, in my opinion would be mindful of this negative opinion and then be 'cautious' of raising the price.

On the other side, there are people like myself, long time devotees and somewhat impulsive, who have jumped and and paid deposits. To our detriment (as I posted earlier in the week) that sends a signal to Honda that the pricing is accepted. On that basis, subject to currency exchange rates and the anticipated: 'We had to raise the price because of Brexit':rolleyes: I firmly believe the prices will remain as is.

I think Honda has taken on board the many enquiries and requests for fitting pillion pegs and seat to the 2017 - 19. From a marketing perspective, it widens the market if the bike is available as a two-up as well as a solo machine. With the current price structure, it is regrettable that Honda chooses to sell the pillion cowl as an accessory.:( So far as the pillion hangars, one is easy to remove; the other. hanging the exhaust must be replaced with something more aesthetic, and hence further expense.

The SP2 'winking' I think is wishful thinking. An SP2 would, in my view, only be release if homologation was required for certain parts. The current bike satisfies that criteria. Further, I think Honda would want to satisfy itself as to demand for the bikes 'as is' before entertaining any prospect of a special. Our USA friends have been told that only the SP will be available in USA. That tends to imply they see USA as a 'minor' market, OR, that there is massive overstocks of the 2018 - 19 base and SPs still for sale. As of end of October, USA still has at least 17 unsold brand new SP2s!:eek:

7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Is it not a legal requirement for new bikes sold in the UK to be fitted with pillion seat and pillion foot pegs ? I just seem to remember reading/hearing that somewhere

8. Maad

Maad Active Member

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and been following this thread for a few weeks now.
    To give some insight into my biking history, first bike was a CBR125R followed by a brief stint on a Yamaha YZF-R125 and then on a CBR600RR (2009 limited edition w/out ABS) for about 5-6 years.
    Did over 35,000 miles on that 600, touring around Europe and a couple of beginner track days.
    Unfortunately it was stolen and I changed for the BMW S1000R in 2017 as my first brand new bike.

Loved the fact that it has cruise control and heated grips as standard (I ride all year) and without a hideous control unit. Main reason to get one was power, more upright position and greater comfort, especially as my missus rides pillion occasionally.

I know this might sound bad but for the past year and a half I've been feeling a little "bored" with it.
    Was unsure if this was the electronics making things feel too safe or the riding position.

Waited to see if Honda would show a redesign in 2019 but they did not so I waited.

Ended up testing the 2018 Fireblade in August this year (2019 model not available at the time) and found that I immediately felt that thrill and excitement of being on a sports bike again.
    Can only describe it as riding a rocket instead of being on a bull? Weird analogy I know haha

So now the 2020 was shown, I jumped the gun and put a deposit in for the new bike (fully refundable) but now I'm in two mindsets based on the other options out there.
    Especially with the lack of quickshifter on a £20k bike and no braided lines.

I'm glad to see it's not just myself who has seen these missing features with the new bike.
    Called my dealer and already aired my opinion and they'd like to chat on person at some point so let's see what they say.
    Based on the cost, although I feel like I'm biased towards Honda, I feel like I may have to cancel my order completely and potentially wait another year (or go with another brand in the new season).

Wish I was able to get it regardless but just can't justify that cost (yet) so might keep my deposit until test ride in Jan/Feb 2020

• Like Like x 1
  9. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I think it has to have a rear seat if there’s rear foot pegs fitted? On my Sp2 you can not fit them as it has a race subframe unlike the new SP

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Mattie, don't forget bikes like the CRF and trials bikes etc are solo manufactured.

What you might have seen is reference to our MoT regs which state that if a bike has a pillion seat then then it MUST have pillion pegs. Many MoTs have been refused (to me included on my MV when I forgot to reinstate pegs) to a bike in this condition.;)

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

You can be sure the dealer will throw in a QS to save the deal. The big question for you is: Do you love the Honda enough to continue with the deal?

My opinion is the closest 'other option' is the R1, but not sure if the base model has QS. I suspect not. The R1M does - and that was MY second option.

12. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Get a used V4s for 19k......new one base 22k in Jan/Feb that black blade could be anything park it up and Joe public would not glance at it....last time I had a Ducati you woukd pull up at the lights and even the kids in people carriers were straining for a view no doubt the full termi double under seat pipes helped....,or a new aprilla RF for 17k .....no doubt your dealer wants to see you in person orders will be few ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

The Ducati v4 street fighter looks lovely and a very Ichihara over the tank riding position, another one bit like marmite the new Kawasaki h2 naked lovely seating position 200bhp

14. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Yes saw them mate was interested in kwak but 200hp how do you hang on past a ton

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bang on target. I think I'd made a similar observation somewhere. 'Bland' might have been a word bandied about. I said as much at the NEC, all the time remembering the poll we had that saw acceptance of black bikes at about 51% over colour. But this thing has no nice gold or silver accents, just a matte black shroud around the tank cover. I wouldn't give it a second look in the street either.

You can be damn sure that I made it plainly clear to my dealer that I do not want 'Moron' black!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Was at NEC today, all I can say is it looks a lot better in the flesh it is simply stunning to look at imho,, rear foot pegs wtf as above comments. Riding Position is probably the most extreme I've ever sat on, 5"9' and chunky felt very cramped compared to my 1299 even. Would I buy one nope not at that price. But never say never,R1M V4s would be my preferred choice
    Most comfortable bike I sat on was the V4s Streetfighter now I would buy That

• Like Like x 1
  17. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Got to be the s1000rr M

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That little Ducati V2 looks nice and very reasonable price. Handlebars look quite low even compared to the R1 so not sure how it would be to ride - (maybe a bit slow :D)

Nice tidy looking bike for the price - not silly money.

Ducati V2.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bloody hell, @gary1966 . You're like a friggin' Sultan who can't decide which gal from the harem to take to bed for the night!!:D:D;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Yes the V4 Streetfighter was really nice, and very deceptive, it looked small and cramped but was surprisingly roomy and comfy :)