New bike day - ktm

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by dern, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Took this for a test ride today - agreed in principle to buy a new one as this is the demo. I will speak to the dealership tomorrow when the owner is back from holiday - and talk numbers ;)

Introducing the 1290 Super Adventure S

upload_2022-6-24_17-50-13.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Very nice

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Ok it still flaps, just not quite as badly :D

Nice day though.

BF71DAAF-CCD0-45F6-BFD6-F90E7B1EBEB0.jpeg BD1ED49F-A5AB-464E-947D-DC7AA6980947.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Well that didn't take long. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

The other option was the new Hayabusa, but something in the back of the mind said - no. So primed for a new bike anyway, then threw my leg over this in the showroom by chance. A week of thinking about it then a test ride. Boom.

The dealership said he wasn't sure how much to give me for my Suzuki, so waiting for a call - he said maybe by Tuesday. The Suzuki is less than a year old with just over 3,000 miles, so it will be interesting to see how much he will give me for it as a trade in.

Just sat on it by chance in the showroom - never even considered it before. Never read any reviews - knew nothing about it, but liked it straight away. The price is not bad either for what you get.

upload_2022-6-27_23-41-4.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. dainesefreak

Very nice.

Same but slightly detuned engine that's in the gen 3 SDR and it's a cracker. Makes the bike for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Not sure if the gear ratios are the same for both bikes ? 1st and 2nd seem quite low - starts to pull really well in 3rd

I do like the weather protection from the adjustable screen also the big TFT dash, riding position, the tech, the manageability of it despite its size, the looks are fine, the smooth motor for a 1,301 cc V-twin !. Seems well made

I know I keep changing bikes but I own 1 motorcycle - no cars, no other bikes, not sit on lawnmowers - just 1 bike ;)

Hopefully I can get away on it sometime this summer ....

New KTM (1 of 1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. dainesefreak

Not sure about the gear ratios, could be different I guess with this being an adventure bike. I'm looking forward to see what trickles over onto the Gen 4 SDR. I'd guess the screen and new software should at least.

I've changed bike 3 times in about 10 months and have a car, so no comment. The cars do last a bit longer though, although the current one I'd get rid of tomorrow if I could. ;)

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

3 bikes in about 10 months !! I remember you had an Aprilia briefly and a Triumph ?

What's the car then that is no good ?

10. dainesefreak

Yeah I had the a Triumph Speed Triple 1050RS and the an RSV4 for all of about 3 months. Always been an Aprilia fan so bought it on a bit of a whim from Wheels with a load of cash off. The engine was ace but I just immediately defaulted back to riding like a nob.

Car's a Mk8 Golf R, got it on a lease, so I'm stuck with it for another couple of years and I have to say it's the worst car I've ever owned. Can't wait to be shot of it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. rocket

rocket Active Member

Not long got a 1290gt for pillion and a bit of touring next year. First road Ktm and I'm impressed. Just yesterday done the oil change in the damper as its a bit flighty at times. Came with all the luggage and power parts seats and tomtom so I'm all set for some foreign adventures.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Post a picture @rocket

13. rocket

rocket Active Member

image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

What happened to the Suzuki Mattie?

15. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Traded it in for the KTM 1290 Adventure.

That Suzuki was a great bike for general hooning around on. It potters around easily in any gear, it will also go like stink if you give it revs. The quickshifter is superb.
    Corners beautifully with an upgrade in tyres. I still really like it.

This KTM though with adaptive cruise control, 50 mpg at decent motorway speeds is just in another league as a touring bike - a league that I did not really know much about.

On the way to today's Austrian GP
    20220820_124833.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

43146132-E0FF-4E2C-A059-E2AECC038954.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Coda

Coda Active Member

That looks wicked, a real head-banger's bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Nice that, and it stays with 17 inch wheels rather than these adventure sizes - that does not feel the same to me.

Interesting to hear how you get on with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Is that yours?

Ace bike.

Adjusted the suspension a bit from stock as it was very harsh for the road - a 1/2 turn on the rear with a crazy long screw driver and a couple of clicks on the front made it better.

Brakes had potential- maybe for you track riders new pads is all that is required and for the road maybe some pads with a bit more bite. But there was plenty power there and the lever never came close to the bar even giving it my best :) - not like the previous model.

I put Metzeler M9 RR tyres on it which made a big difference to how easily it turned in and out of corners.

I would love to know what you think of it being as you have so much fast bike and track experience ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Yeah 3 months in and 3500 miles…. But lots of modifications! Great bike out the box for most, and as a daily it’s pretty unbeatable for the money! seriously overlooked by most. Looks are definitely subjective, but I’d always had a slightly better looking bike in mind. Absolutely hated the OE tyres, and front pads must have been made from some new found kryptonite material! Probably would have lasted 30k! So SBS sintered street performance pads transformed the power and Lever modulation, lightweight BST wheels, Rosso Corsa 2’s …. 10mm drop on the front forks, 10mm less wheelbase, it did have a K Tech Razor rear shock for all of a few days before it went pop, Ohlins should be landing this week, 2 teeth up on the rear sprocket, a heap of titanium parts, lithium battery and loads more.

Let’s just say it surprises a few sports bikes….way more agile, extremely lively and totally bonkers! Having said that the biggest Achilles heel as with any naked bike is how long you can hang on for. The good thing is it’s still comfortable and mild mannered when you want it to be. It munchers up miles at an alarming rate

• Like Like x 3