New bike prices

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Stevie_d, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

ok here goes
    It seems that new 1000cc sports bikes are all in the region of around £16,500
    Plus these days some being 20k or more . Quite a jump up from £10,000
    That I paid for a new abs blade 3 yrs ago , quite reluctant to pay like another £6,500 from what I originally paid for a brand new bike 3 years ago . That’s a whopping 65% increase .Anyone saying get a smaller engine bike , not really for me I don’t think , having had 2 strokes years ago and an r6. While back they are a lot of fun but not for 200 miles in one day (regular thing )
    Neither is a naked bike for me as yet . Seen a 2017 sp blade with 1200 miles on the other day for 14k that’s a massive £6000 it’s lost in 1 year . What’s everyone’s thoughts . Not sure what I’ll get next or maybe keep mine a bit longer , granted the new stuff has some extra toys , full colour dash , anti wheelie , traction control , power modes and maybe 15 bhp extra . Is it all really worth it ?

#1 Stevie_d, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

I am with you Stevie, bikes have reached headline figs way in excess of their true value, but one mans expensive is another mans acceptable.

I think the rise of the PCP has driven some of these increases and makes ownership look affordable, the upside of this is a constant supply of low mileage, high condition bikes for sale at 2 and 3 years old at more sensible prices.

Unfortunately those distant days of buying a new bike every year and only having to handover another few hundred quid are long gone but for us old gits that can rememberer it, it was good whilst it lasted.

Personally I am happy take on a used bike and save the cash.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

I had just them same thoughts last year but 6mths in on these new bikes and they are another level woth safety features, cruise controls, quick shifters, they really do make my 2009 blade feel old

I got a suoerb deal on a 6mth old dealer demo last year (Superduke 1290R) saved £2k and £1k in extras in it and the finance rates wasnt that much more v new bike

Maybe something to think about but new blde v old blade is a very diff bike. I saw a SP with 0% and £2k off last week.. £127/mth on a pcp woth just £900 deposit, you cant borrow £7k for that

New world of ownership, why own a depreciating asset

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Quite a conundrum, Stevie.

I hadn't made my 'comeback' to the bike scene in the era of 10 grand super sports. I now wish I had!

The present situation is that we have to accept what is offered today. There has to be a trade off between losing value once we leave the dealers compared with the enjoyment and pride of ownership of having the latest model. I believe that if we intend to keep a bike for a while, spending the extra for a new bike is warranted. On the other side, if we're buying more as a commuter and weekend hack, without the emotional ties, a one- or two-year-old ex PCP might serve the purpose.

You might recall I bought a 2018 SP2 last March. Cresent Honda is selling the same bike now for 3 grand less (19,995). If I were to part exchange or sell, I'd probably be looking at 17s - if I'm lucky. That means I'd take a 5 grand hit over fewer than 12 months. No one can AFFORD that, but we do tend to JUSTIFY it because of the enjoyment factor.

For your own position, just like @PauloHRC, if you're able to secure a recent bike at a bargain price it's effectively a win/win situation - dependant, of course, on what value the dealer or private sale will realise for your Repsol. You may have noted there's been a couple offered for sale on here (and targeted to me:rolleyes:;)) so it might be that a dealer trade is the most practical but not necessarily most rewarding means of disposal.

The biggest incentive? Looking back and saying to yourself: 'I wish I would have done that!!':)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I bought mine in 2015, should have been £12,700 but paid £10,700. But to be fair it was only the fireblades and gsxrs that were still this kind of price 3 or 4 years ago as they were the last of the old analogue superbikes. The prices have certainly been creeping up since the BMW S1000rr came along in 2009.

If I were you Steve I would put any potential £6500 you'd need to upgrade towards a 2nd bike providing you had the room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I think the prices are crazy and you'd have to be mad to buy a brand new one. Only folks it suits are PCP buyers.
    I think if I were you I'd be looking at keeping the one you've got and look out for & 2018 Blade second hand once the used PCP ones start rolling into the market & the prices have dropped to an acceptable level.
    @PauloHRC has just bought a stunning SP so that will be on the market in a few years :D.....although I've first dibs on it ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Quick shifter is nice - of all the toys, that is probably my favourite.

New prices for sportsbikes are too expensive for me.

Maybe there are some good deals on the outgoing BMW S1000RR, for a new bike ?

Otherwise low mileage second hand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Pcp is cheap motorcycling £109 a month x 12 £1300 ish 3 years just under 4K so why would anyone go and chuck biggest part of 20k of there hard earnt money at a bike so it can lose your 8k over 3 years???

I got offered 10k for my 2017 sp 1200 miles I will rag it around Europe and an odd trackday take it back and get a future guaranteed 12k for it or hand the keys back and walk away.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

What was the deposit on your £109 a month example? The initial period of a PCP pays for the vehicles depreciation.

10. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Can’t really remember I traded my matt black 17 in and £1000 I think plus it’s 0%

11. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

All in, the first 3 years of SP ownership adds upto about £6500 when you pcp it. Spend 6.5k on a 2nd hand bike and it's still worth 5k after 3 years. PCPs are not cheap motorcycling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. D16PJM

D16PJM New Member

I have never been a fan of PCP but must admit my wife's car is on PCP which i took out this year but that was due to not knowing what is happening with Diesel.

as for a bike on PCP i dont think it would be for me, it will influences how you use it knowing you will have to give back in good condition in 3 years would mean i would not enjoy the bike as much.

Bike prices are silly but if you want one you have to pay, i can remember buying a new bike for 6K but those days are long gone.

Pete

13. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Anyone that wanted a new shape blade and has waited till now is getting a great deal.

There are a number of used models offering great value for money. Used SP
    with 3k miles going for 11.5k on ebay. Others with lower mileage for 13/14k. Not bad for a 19k bike.

The first owner has surely had to cover the difference if not more as the dealers are making 1 to 2k on the used advertised prices. That's a big shortfall for a year or slightly more of ownership.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

What about the PCP bikes as they're technically only covering the depreciation!

15. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Sorry, never read the posts above! Doh.

When I got my MT10 I put my 2012 Daytona 675 in PX and got £5k for it. That bike was a straight swap for my 13 675 Street Triple R (both had 7k on them) for which I'd paid £6250 (I think) 18 months before and I'd had the Tona for a 12 month so to lose £1250 in 2 and a half years I think is great. The MT is a good price though (paid £11168), I know it's not a sports bike but it'll do it all and it has all the toys.

#15 exuptoy, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  16. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I have to say I have no real knowledge on a PCP deal. Just dont know how a dealer can sign someone up for a 19k bike, take it back after a year and put it up for 13k without having the shortfall made up.

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Likewise. I've never used it and doubt I'd even qualify as now retired and on aged pension.

I'd go friggin' wild if I did qualify. . .:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

I,ve only ever purchased one new bike and still have it

New bike prices are what they are for various reasons, one being we all want the latest tech and bling, unfortunately, we have to pay for it

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

20. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

ive always been lucky and always bought new . I know what you mean about cc I got a gsxr 750 few years back and being used to litre bikes it was blistering fast for its size but seamed to need ringing wherever it went . I got current s1000rr this year knowing the new one was on its way for 2 reasons I got the shape I liked with Nice spec ( quick shifter is ace and believe it or not cruise control is handy) and knowing the new one was on the way it was 1000s£ less than new model would be