New Blade or 2015 BMW S1000RR

Discussion in 'New Members' started by rosso, Nov 25, 2015.

1. rosso

rosso New Member

Hi all, I've currently got a 899 panigale but am completely disillusioned with the customer service from Ducati. Looking to change to one of the above, I appreciate they are at two different price points (depending on spec) but just wondering if anyone has experience/advice of both. I sense the reliability of the blade is likely to be better than the s1k , but I've heard a lot of positive things regarding BMW after sales ( esp BMW manchester ) .

I ride approx 10 k miles per annum , mixed weekend, short tours plus commuting. I ride in varied weather conditions so would prefer ABS, is it really that bad on the blade?

I appreciate this is a blade forum but would welcome comments.

Cheers in advance.

2. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

Haha. Welcome to the divided house. Andy has a S1000rr and I have a blade abs
    Andy doesn't like mine and I don't like his !!
    Hope that is helpful !!!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  3. rosso

rosso New Member

I assume you are married & it's got nothing to do with the bikes..

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

ABS blade isn't worth the hassle IMO. I've just ripped the abs out of my bike.

Apart from that theres no major issues to worry about with a new blade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

Well ! Where do I start...................
    I'm a member of this forum not because of the motorcycle I ride but the great people on here and the banter...........
    That said until Honda get their finger out of their asses, don't buy the Honda its , we'll just a bit boring
    It might be reliable and still winning TT's etc but it's soooo long in the tooth.
    They will not admit the ABS isn't right and it's not, I think it's the way people ride that effects it, but it doesn't matter there is still a problem , I've never heard of any ABS failure on any other bike ??

The BMW is a revelation, the ride is impeccable, and bloody hell its quick and I mean quick and yet it's one of the best bikes to ride around town at low speed, you can tour, scratch and commute easily on the BMW
    Now the bad bit I've had problems with the engine on my first 2015 bike ( needed a new engine !! ) and I had the chance to get out of it, however the bike is that good I got another and BMW customer services and the Chester dealer ship are absolutely superb , got more options and the dearer paint job and free service for the inconvenience caused.

So in short,Honda Shite, BMW fabulous :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. gray

gray Active Member

Went from the bade ( loved it ) did everything right
    Changed to the Bmw rr 20 months ago and WOW, love it, yes it's quick, bloody quick
    Had no problems with it and dealer service has been great ....
    Try one mate...you'll be hooked I'm sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Simple truth, if you want ABS then go for the BMW.

Haven't ridden the 2015 BMW but did have a go on the previous model. Lets just say it took about a week for the smile on my face to disappear :)

8. rosso

rosso New Member

Thanks for the replies all, glad to hear you got your issue sorted @And7rp2 , I'm sure you were just unlucky but to go from Ducati issues, erm sorry I mean 'character' to BMW engine replacements does not fill me with joy. That said, most s1k owners seem to simply love their bikes & its a balance of owning something emotive & reliability/customer service. It would be interesting to pose the same question on the S1000rr forum but I cannot bring myself to register , its marginally one step up from chalk & slate..

9. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

My 5 pense worth.... Rode last years model so not the brand new 2015 model, had a good 2 hours on the bike and have to be honest it just didn't do it for me!! The power delivery is insane but it dishes most of it out at at higher RPM, I tried it in most modes and didn't find it helped very much, the seat felt like I was sitting on a park bench, the reach to the bars in my opinion are too far and too low for any real long distance rides! the traction worked well but anti wheelie sucks!! Just feels like it cuts the ignition and bike comes crashing down! Bordering on dangerous if you ask me! the quickshifter played up for most of the ride and just failed to work!! The build quality and finish is far from perfect and some of the parts look outdated. I ended up with a 2014 blade and never looked back, I can ride it all day without all that electrical bulshite, it's got real usable power on tap, it's far more forgiving on the uk roads than most other bikes I've ridden, even compared to the new R1. All these new bikes have become all very clinical! If your looking for real world ride ability and value for money then your not going to go wrong with the blade... The 2015 model might be a different kettle of fish but pound for pound the blade is still far cheaper to purchase cheaper to service and just as rewarding with a good pilot onboard !!!! I've completed 6000 miles this year, 4 trackdays and I'm still loving ever time I get out! ...all my mates have new R1's ZX10,s and they still can't catch me on the right roads so it's more than capable to hang it out with the fast guys!! ....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Just bought a new 2015 Blade in HRC colours - lovely looking bike.

Coming from Guernsey most of my mileage is done away from home, so reliability is very important to me. Potter around here sure, but then put it on the Ferry and do 3,500 miles in a couple of weeks around Europe.

If you are riding mostly near to home it is not such a big deal, I suppose, if the bike goes wrong when you are only 20 miles away, give someone a call, sorted no big deal.

Would I risk a BMW going wrong in the South of France or Spain, out of warranty - stuck in the South of France, on a Paege and your bike needs a new motor - what a laugh that would be.

So no, I will have a Honda CBR1000 RR, even if it will "only" do a 186 mph !

[​IMG]Honda CBR 1000 RR by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  11. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

12. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

image.jpeg
    Yeh I hear that it's a complete overhaul with most of the issues sorted out! But then there's the price?? I'm in on my bike now for a fraction of the cost of the BMW and thats with all the parts to make it far more superior than standard bike.... image.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  13. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Considering changing Blade to 899 Panigale next year, just out of interest what problems have you had?

14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'm in the same camp as Marion & Andy , love my blade & he loves the rr but I occasionally nick the bmw. Lovely bike.. but...riding position kills my back, seat kills my bum & I really can't be bothered with all the fancy electrics, and to my knowledge he's never had it out of slick mode either! Stuffs gone wrong with it too, whilst the Blades carried on munching the miles reliably.
    I do the same sort of riding as you & bit higher miles & I like the reliability of the blade all year round & the simplicity of sorting any issues with it. At the end of yhe day tho its a personal thing & if I were you I'd go for a good test ride on them both & then go for the one that gives you the whoohoo moment :D
    So it's a big......... up-the-blades-and-keep-going-1.png

From me :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. rosso

rosso New Member

Gear sensor failure, melted exhaust heat shield twice, frayed seat twice, quickshifter replaced, front brake issue, clutch issue, fuelling issue & very poor dealer service. They are too busy selling scrambler man bags to bearded hipsters to give a s**t..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. andreww

andreww Active Member

17. sinewave

sinewave God Like

How olds the Pani?

18. rosso

rosso New Member

Summer 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Give ya £4K for it? :D

20. rosso

rosso New Member

Your ZX10R plus 4K , tempting, leave it with me..

• Funny Funny x 1