New Job

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Barstewardsquad, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Well after nearly 10 years of contracting I finally succumbed to the dark side and taken a permie job close enough to home to commute. Money is less, but then it's more than I earned since I last worked in March. Bike mileage will reduce though so best get my butt out as much as possible over the next few days.

• Like Like x 8
  2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Congrats on the new job.

I used to "work from home" almost all the time a few years back and was desperate to get back to office culture....then I got here and I don't want to work, full stop :(

Enjoy the bike before your start date.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

I wish I could knock work on the head altogether. The older I get the less tolerant of kn#bheads, plus I can’t stand people who work slow. Congrats on the new job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

[​IMG]

I had one yesterday. Went to a job with someone more qualified than me, only to find that you can't teach common sense!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Not on your own on that one!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I can honestly say I love my job and have been happy in all my previous employments. A wise man said to me before I left school ‘Make sure you’re happy at work as you’ll spend most of your life there. If works bad then your home life will suffer and your f****d

So I made a promise to myself that if I wasn’t happy at work I’d change jobs. First place I did 8 years (4 of them as an apprentice) and only left when an upper management change in policy didn’t sit right. Did 11 years at the next place and then stayed for another two years when the division I worked for was sold off to become a stand alone business. Only left there when the old divisional director (who had been made MD of the new company) was proven wanting when it came to effective decision making in the knock on effects to industry after the twin towers came down.

7 years at the next place and only left after a new owner took over and was quickly exposed to be a carpet bagger (IMHO he and his co-conspirators should have been sent down for what they did to that company, but that’s another story).

This year is my tenth with the current employer and whilst I’ve no plans to change, if it stops being enjoyable I’ll be off.

Yes, I’ve had bad days and faced what have been almost insurmountable (or at least it felt like that at the time) challenges along the way. And I have woken up some mornings and not wanted to go in, but those have been few and far between random occurrences - not day after day after day.

I’ve been very lucky and my home life continues to be very positive. I still think back to those words of wisdom and have passed them on to others since.

Good luck in the new job @Barstewardsquad

#6 Boothman, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bloody hell, Boothy. I thought I was reading an excerpt from a Tony Robbins seminar!!;)

Well done to you. My attention span couldn't keep me in a job for more than 5 years - until I became self-employed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Thanks @nigelrb, I’ll take that as a compliment, Just wish I had TR’s bank balance.

10. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Good luck mate
    I agree with boothman but not in so many words;)
    I love my job
    Worked for may gurney/ kier for 20 years and left them 2 years ago to work for my boss now all the work is for Anglian water and I love it.
    And I have one of the best bosses ever:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1