New project time.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by exuptoy, Jan 20, 2019.

1. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

I loved both my Daytona and Street Triples btw.

262F09E1-6CC9-4B86-8963-4A3932D022DB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Did yours suffer corrosion? I have read of this before Gary mentioned it. Tis a shame the the marque is suffering from this. I hope the probs aren't filtering through to models like the Thruxton etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I think with the Daytona it’s been used during winter an odd time so possibly salt?
    The street triple I would say it’s been kept in a damp shed for most of its life or an outside cover as it’s only covered 3000 miles it’s not bad but it’s 10 yrs old, my cbr900 95 urban tiger is excellent compared to the trumpets.

4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Agreed, the powder coat on my last 955i Daytona and even my old SpeedTriple would lift off in sheets! Both my 675s were fine in this respect

5. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

Quality is not that good :(

6. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Removed the grab handles and run them over the wire wheel before polishing them.

EB9C6A87-50E5-4382-B081-7885EE44EBEC.jpeg

Removed the air box and sprayed acetone (it’s all I had handy) in there when turning it over. I did drain the float bowl first tho to at least purge it of old stale fuel.

Stuck the tank back on losely and it seems to be running just fine.

• Like Like x 3
  7. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Now I know it’s a runner I’m happy. Been back up the cave and fitted the rear shock. That’s the start of the improvements.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

My mate brought a Bonny and bobber put them up for the winter and they both went rusty one had 100 miles on it the over had 500 on it.
    Everything went even the alloy cases.
    He took them back and they said it was because he had not cleaned them.

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, your post must have been the one I'd read before, because I remember commenting that they won't rust of they're kept clean and you replied that one bike never even got wet!!;)

On another Triumph-related note, I see this week's MCN is forecasting a Daytona re-release, possibly in the form of a Moto 2 special. Could be a restricted limited number run with lots of goodies on it. They certainly sound good wound up!! Might suss out my Triumph dealer.:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, true. Same for me when I ran the little aprilia last Saturday. Got a heap of screws and fixings arriving from Fowlers tomorrow. Just about every fixing for the plastics etc was missing from the boxes of goodies. A bit OTT using OEM screws for a resto, but I'll use generic stuff on the second not-so-good one!! Guess I'd rather be buying a few screws than a shocker though!:) Grab handles came up well!

11. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Yeah, I'm with you on that, although that can get very expensive, but if it has to be right there is no other way other than to re-plate them, and to do that you kinda need them! :D

I fell lucky with the shock on ebay, it was from a 1200 so should have plenty of support and a slight lift as it is about 6mm longer and only cost me £45.

The wire wheel took the paint off the handles, and normally I'd be sanding them back in lesser grades from say 400 to 1200 until they were ready for a bash on the polishing mops but my mate works in an engineering shop and they have a deburrer wheel which abraded the alloy then the hard calico mop on the other machine followed by the soft mop to finish off. Took me a grand total of around 30 mins instead for the usual 4 hours!

12. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Just been to me mates garage he's got a lovely little Daytona project in ...just under 4k from new! Still got original tyres on :)

Screenshot_2019-02-08-12-37-59-1.png Screenshot_2019-02-08-12-38-17.png Screenshot_2019-02-08-12-38-28-1.png Screenshot_2019-02-08-12-38-47.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yum! My fave colour too. Seen it on ebay. Got a high price tag though:(.

14. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

not my cup of tea but looks good, cant decide what route to take as yet I would like a speed triple to add to the street triple and Daytona, I would also like one of each of the blades early 90s got it, then a good 929, I should have a good 954 coming,then I might get the under seat exhaust model 04-07 and then the first 08 model.

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Holy crap Gary. That sounds like a different version of 'doing a nigelrb'!

Good selection to consider though. I'd like an early 900 of any configuration, but not presently in buying mode. Got to finish the tiny aprilias and move one on. But I am developing a hankering for the proposed Triumph Moto 2 765 as reported in this week's MCN on pages 6 -7. Pipe dream at the moment, but hey, a man has to have goals!! Visiting the dealer tomorrow.

You know that I'm a rap for the underseats. I'm always singing praises for my 04, but the prudent purchaser might opt towards the 06 -07 because of all the improvements. Of course from a collector's perspective, condition governs everything!!:)

16. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

dont waste your time with going to the dealers they will not tell you anything trust me, there will be a 765 daytona i am sure but will it just be a limited number all for show or will they do a road version??

Agree on the 06-07 if i opt for the 07 it will have to be the HRC one but i do love the 04 one in red white blue, if i sold my KTM 990 R i could get two for the price of one BUT it would hurt to sell that holds good memories

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's what 'm talkin' about!:D:D 04 2..JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

If I ha
    If I hadn’t verbally committed to the 954 the 04 model at cubo moto with 7000 miles on it would be in the cave now

19. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Well, that’s the basics done. I scrubbed the chain today with parafin and re lubed it with Wurth dry lube and it looks like new! Got all the bodywork back on after a quick polish, I stripped both front calipers and popped out the pistons, cleaned them up and gave them a coat of red rubber grease and managed to clean the rear caliper piston and worked it with a coating of red rubber grease but didn’t strip it as it wasn’t seized. I also modified an SV650 chainguard to fit.

Front calipers bled up nicely and there’s a firm lever. If I can get it insured I’ll see if I can get it MOT’d tomorrow otherwise it’ll be next weekend as I’m on a course all week next week.

[​IMG]

#39 exuptoy, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bloody hell, you've finished that while I've been waiting for parts to arrive from Netherlands:rolleyes:.

Lesson learnt in restoration work - use Fowlers instead of MSP: https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en
    Prices looked alright, but if one item is on backorder, they won't ship what they do have. Plus, there's a £6.99 shipping fee. I tried Fowlers and got my order next day (free shipping over £50 spend).

Anyway, best wishes for MoT. Do you have a 'special' guy;)? They are very handy. I have one who has missed a couple of things on occasion. I was very pleased!!:D