New project time.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by exuptoy, Jan 20, 2019.

1. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

:D
    I have a couple who I use but I usually go through everything before my bikes go down. When I took the CBR1000F in they were very complimentary on the work I had done and the rear brake switch was playing up so they allowed me to sort it before they carried on with the test. They also never seem to spot the small number plates and race cans! :D

Also this isn't a resto as such, just a re-commission to get it roadworthy (although I will fit the spare bars, mirrors and heated grips over the next week or two).
    If I were keeping it I'd maybe do other stuff to it or maybe even fighter it. I'd quite like a 1200 swingarm and GSXR upside down forks and maybe a GSXR seat unit and subframe. If only it were a 1200 I'd keep it.

#41 exuptoy, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

This morning I decided to refit the exhaust so it’s straight!!! Then I removed the fork caps with the bike jacked up to take the pressure off the forks, to expose these.....(whilst it was off I stuck in about 25ml of oil to each fork).

[​IMG]

Then I dug out an old pair of preload caps which were given to me some time ago, I think from a Fazer 600???

[​IMG]

I spoke to my tame machinist (Darren :) ) after doing some measuring and asked him to make me 2 x spacers 36mmOD x 12mm thick with a 10mm x 2.5mm dimple to take the adjuster and keep things central.
    Which look like this.

[​IMG]

And after a bit of swearing trying to squeeze it all together they look like this

[​IMG]

And the bike is now back in its wheels and feels a little firmer with 3 notches of preload in the rear and the rebound adjusted for a bit more return in the rear which also means that with the adjusters I can now dial in a further 17mm on the front if required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The RH rear indicator wasn’t working which was just a poor contact on the lamp and I need a new switch for the front brake lever then it can go for its mot.

• Like Like x 5
  3. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Thats blo0dy lovely that.
    It's come up a treat.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Cheers @hitch, Not done yet. I’ve since removed the adjusters and dropped them to my mate to modify again. I think the current set up gives too much preload and may become spring bound on heavy bumps so the spacers are being set on the end of the adjusters andpinned and the underside machined to sit inside the tubes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Now refitted and the forks dropped 10mm through the yokes to compensate for the extra preload.
    Still need to machine the lower step as I gave him the wrong dimensions. No rush tho, going back offshore Monday.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#45 exuptoy, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2