New road pilot 2's

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Great Guy, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

Just been for a spin with my new Michellin tyres, (55) on the rear. Absolutely fantastic, stick like glue.
    Best tyres I have used. Knee down at weekend!

#1 Great Guy, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Great Guy

image.jpeg image.jpeg Cool or what?

3. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Chunky looking ,like a full wet no wonder they have plenty of grip look meaty, I'm less tread but not worried about. Mileage as only get to ride it once in a blue moon, hate scrubbing in new tyres . Like marbles then gradually crank it up, enjoy go careful knee down hunting can end in tears and I find I go slower as trying to hard....let it flow let flow on no that's frozen let it go let it go .........enough I've had to much Pepsi

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

You need a bit more rum in it mate :D

5. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I wish none here in the sandpit back for a wk next wk yesssssss red red red wine,,,,,,blade blade blade!

6. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I'm guessing those fotos were taken before the knee down action took place as they still have the moulding spikes on them as mega strips on edges! ;)

What made you go for an 8yr n 2 generations old set of tyres?

8. Great Guy

They still sell them new at Leeds Bike Tyres. Plus the are the best.
    At the end of the day, they are rubber tyres.

9. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I thought everyone rated the Pilot 4's now? better than the "2's" I hear ;)

I had Mets M7RR on my last blade and they were great tyres :D

10. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

The pilot road 2's are average at best... not really suited to hard riding either on the blade, hence why Honda do not recommend them. (neither does Michelin)

Best tyres I've used on the blade are Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's ... closely followed by Metzler M7RR's ... the M7's give better mileage and also wet grip, but the Pirelli's are sublime. A good compromise for road and track.

If I were doing less mileage I'd go with Pirelli Rosso Corsa's ... I suspect I will go back to the M7RR's for autumn / winter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah got supercorsa's on mine and they do grip like glue on a dry road and track :D

12. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Put on s21 before I came away front felt taller slightly sharper than the s20 evo as for grip I'm not that talented to notice but did feel slightly more stable on the rear in a bend but this is probably the Bridgestone marketing people in my head although I have had the BT 014. BT016. Then Diablo Rosso corsa didn't get on with them, S20 standard on blade then S20 evo and now S21 so natural progression I suppose,

13. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Had supercorsas & M7rr's on our various bikes both great tyres. Had several sports smart 2 which are great for high mileage.....but last few thou on slightly squared are a bit of a pain! they take a bit of warming too but all round they are bob on. Going back to M7rr shortly for Autumn/Winter

14. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

I picked up a 2 year old blade recently and as part of the sale the dealership swapped out the original tyres for Michelin Pilot Power 1 (how old!!). I wish he'd spoken to me first as I feel they fitted the cheapest "sport-type" tyre they could find. If he'd had let me know before hand I would have contributed to a more quality set.

However having said that I'm really getting on well with the Pilot Powers - got them down to a narrow chicken strip and they've done everything I've asked of them. Makes we wonder if riders get too brand hung up.

In the last year I've had Pirelli Rosso2, then Avon 3D sports and now Michelin Pilot Power 1's (seems to be trend here....). With each tyre I've managed (on road) to get it down to a narrow strip and not had a OMG moment on any of them.

15. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I think the majority of tyres now are of a high standard and have come along way since the Dunlop D204 any one remember them hedge finders! Most are developed using the same computer programme a lot comes down sometimes to brand loyalty , for some people price and if they can get a good deal , others like me the marketing people do a good job on ....